Find Isobaric Expansion & Pressure-Volume Coefficient for Solid

In summary, the conversation discusses the partial derivatives of volume with respect to temperature and pressure, and the isobaric expansion coefficient and isothermal pressure-volume coefficient. The question at hand is whether the textbook solution is correct, as it appears to only give a polynomial in temperature. It is suggested that the original question may have been different and the answer was not updated accordingly.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
The problem I am trying to solve is,
Find the isobaric expansion coefficient ##\frac{dV}{dT}## and the isothermal pressure-volume coefficient ##\frac{dV}{dP}## of a solid that has equation of state ##V+bpT–cT^2=0##
Relevant Equations
Equation of state of solid: ##V+bpT–cT^2=0##
The answer to this problem is
1686990202428.png

However, I am confused how this relates to the question.

My working is,
##V = cT^2 - bpT##
##\frac{dV}{dT} = 2cT - bp## (I take the partial derivative of volume with respect to temperature to get the isobaric expansion coefficient)

##\frac{dV}{dP} = 0## (I take the partial derivative of volume with respect to pressure to get the isothermal pressure-volume coefficient)

If someone please knows whether I am correct or not then that would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect that p and P are supposed to be the same.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
I suspect that p and P are supposed to be the same.
Thank you for your reply @haruspex!

That gives ##\frac{dV}{dP} = -bT##. Do you please know whether the textbook solution is wrong? It appears they just give a polynomial in temperature.

Many thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:
Thank you for your reply @haruspex!

That gives ##\frac{dV}{dP} = -bT##. Do you please know whether the textbook solution is wrong? It appears they just give a polynomial in temperature.

Many thanks!
It is obviously not an answer to the question. It merely restates the given equation. The answers must take the form ##\frac{dV}{dT}=## etc. Or better, ##\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}=## etc.
Perhaps the original question was the reverse: it provided the partial derivatives and asked for the state equation. Someone changed the question but forgot to change the answer.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
It is obviously not an answer to the question. It merely restates the given equation. The answers must take the form ##\frac{dV}{dT}=## etc. Or better, ##\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}=## etc.
Perhaps the original question was the reverse: it provided the partial derivatives and asked for the state equation. Someone changed the question but forgot to change the answer.
Thank you for your help @haruspex ! I understand now :)

1. What is isobaric expansion?

Isobaric expansion is a type of thermal expansion that occurs when the pressure of a system remains constant while the volume increases. This can happen in solids, liquids, or gases.

2. How is the pressure-volume coefficient for solid calculated?

The pressure-volume coefficient for solid is calculated by taking the derivative of the change in volume with respect to the change in pressure at constant temperature. This value is also known as the isothermal compressibility.

3. What factors affect the pressure-volume coefficient for solid?

The pressure-volume coefficient for solid is affected by the material properties of the solid, such as its elasticity and density, as well as the temperature and pressure conditions.

4. Why is it important to know the pressure-volume coefficient for solid?

Knowing the pressure-volume coefficient for solid is important in understanding how a solid will behave under changes in pressure. It can also be used to calculate the change in volume for a given change in pressure, which can be useful in various engineering and scientific applications.

5. How is isobaric expansion different from isochoric expansion?

In isobaric expansion, the pressure remains constant while the volume changes, whereas in isochoric expansion, the volume remains constant while the pressure changes. This means that in isobaric expansion, the work done by the system is equal to the change in volume, while in isochoric expansion, no work is done.