Thermodynamics problem - circular process

In summary, the problem involves a cycle of an ideal gas with a total energy given by U = αT^4. The first part of the problem asks for the change of total energy from point 1 to 2, which can be solved using the first law of thermodynamics and the ideal gas law. The second part involves determining the heat acquired on the path from point 3 to 1, which can be solved using the relationship between ΔT, Cv and ΔU. The problem is similar to another problem with a different expression for U, U = cvT, and involves determining the change of total energy from point 2 to 3 and the heat acquired on the path from point 3 to 1.
solidbastard
MODERATOR NOTE - NO TEMPLATE BACAUSE POSTED IN GENERAL PHYSICS

I am having trouble attacking this problem properly and getting the right solution, which I do not have. (only know I did it wrong on exam).

Anyway, there is picture attached this is a cycle of some working material that has a total energy of U= alpha*T^4

I need to determine:

1. Change of total energy from 1 to 2.
  2. Heat that came from 3 to 1.
For the first, I view it as adiabatic expansion, so there is no change of heat, only the work done. And for the second question, it is a constant volume, so there is no mechanical work that is done.

To solve it is going to use this or?
Code:
$(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V})\cdot dV + (\frac{\partial U}{\partial T})\cdot dT + (\frac{\partial U}{\partial p})\cdot dp$
So not sure if in total calculation should take in mind changes in p, T and V or what? Becuase T is changing always?

Anyway, thanks for help if anyone has solution :

Attachments

• problem_thermodynamics_cycleprocess.jpg
    problem_thermodynamics_cycleprocess.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 295
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
solidbastard said:
I need to determine:

1. Change of total energy from 1 to 2.
  2. Heat that came from 3 to 1.
For the first, I view it as adiabatic expansion, so there is no change of heat, only the work done. And for the second question, it is a constant volume, so there is no mechanical work that is done.
Hi. Welcome to PF!
It would help to give us all the details. In order to quantify the total energy we would to know more than youhave provided. I assume you were told it is an ideal gas and can determine Cv and Cp.

This is a first law problem. Just use ## Q = \Delta U + \int PdV##

For the isothermal expansion from 1 to 2 is there any change in U? So what is Q?

For the constant volume heating from 3 to 1, what is the change in T? (hint: how is ΔU related to ΔT?)

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Hi. Welcome to PF!
It would help to give us all the details. In order to quantify the total energy we would to know more than youhave provided. I assume you were told it is an ideal gas and can determine Cv and Cp.

For the isothermal expansion from 1 to 2 is there any change in U? So what is Q?

For the constant volume heating from 3 to 1, what is the change in T? (hint: how is ΔU related to ΔT?)

AM

Hi Andrew! Thanks for welcome and thank your for the reply!
Yeah, problems is about ideal gas of total energy ## U = \alpha \cdot T^4 ##

I know for isothermal expansion that there is no change in U. So, with the first law ## Q = \int PdV##

And for constant volume part from 3 to 1, should I maybe try change in T with this relation. Where of course part of dV falls of, because there is no change?
##(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V})\cdot dV + (\frac{\partial U}{\partial T})\cdot dT + (\frac{\partial U}{\partial p})\cdot dp##Thanks for the help very much!

solidbastard said:
Hi Andrew! Thanks for welcome and thank your for the reply!
Yeah, problems is about ideal gas of total energy ## U = \alpha \cdot T^4 ##
This is not the expression for U. That may be the source of your difficulty. T is a measure of the average translational kinetic energy of the molecules so U is proportional to T.

I know for isothermal expansion that there is no change in U. So, with the first law ## Q = \int PdV##
hint: to calculate, substitute for P using the ideal gas law.

And for constant volume part from 3 to 1, should I maybe try change in T with this relation. Where of course part of dV falls of, because there is no change?
Yes. Just use the relationship between ΔT, Cv and ΔU.

AM

What is the exact statement of the problem (not your interpretation)?

Chestermiller said:
What is the exact statement of the problem (not your interpretation)?

In cycle shown on the picture working material of total energy ## U = \alpha \cdot T^4 ## is give.

Determine:
Change of total energy on the way 1 to 2.
Heat acquired on the way 3 to 1.

And I assume it is also ideal gas.And I got one more problem that is almost all the same, and goes like this (picture is the same):
In cycle shown on the picture working material is ideal gas of total energy ## U = c_v \cdot T##

Determine:
Change of total energy on the way 2 to 3.

solidbastard said:
In cycle shown on the picture working material of total energy ## U = \alpha \cdot T^4 ## is give.

Determine:

And I assume it is also ideal gas.And I got one more problem that is almost all the same, and goes like this (picture is the same):
In cycle shown on the picture working material is ideal gas of total energy ## U = c_v \cdot T##

Determine:
This is the exact statement, word-for-word?

Chestermiller said:
This is the exact statement, word-for-word?
Yes. :)

solidbastard said:
In my judgment, there is not sufficient information provided to consider the path from 1 to 2.

Andrew Mason said:
Hi. Welcome to PF!

AM
Um..is the path 1 to 2 isothermal ?
The OP has traced out a straight line instead of the hyperbolic curve for isotherms.Can we still consider it to be isothermal ?
I think some information has been left out.

shihab-kol said:
Um..is the path 1 to 2 isothermal ?
The OP has traced out a straight line instead of the hyperbolic curve for isotherms.Can we still consider it to be isothermal ?
I think some information has been left out.

Yeah. Consider it isothermal. It is little bad drawing out there. :)

solidbastard said:
Yeah. Consider it isothermal. It is little bad drawing out there. :)
Ah, then its alright.

solidbastard said:

Determine:

Determine:
In the first part, this is obviously not an ideal gas. We need to know how P is related to V at constant T. The diagram appears to show ##P \propto 1/V##. Is that accurate? We really need to see the exact and complete wording of the problem.

AM

Likes Chestermiller
solidbastard said:
Pants on fire

Likes shihab-kol

Related to Thermodynamics problem - circular process

1. What is a circular process in thermodynamics?

A circular process in thermodynamics is a process where a system undergoes a series of changes and returns to its initial state. This means that the system's final state is the same as its initial state, and the net change in the system's internal energy is zero.

2. How is the first law of thermodynamics applied in a circular process?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In a circular process, this means that the energy input into the system must be equal to the energy output, resulting in a net change of zero.

3. Can a circular process be reversible?

Yes, a circular process can be reversible. A reversible process is one where the system can be returned to its initial state without any changes to the surroundings. In a circular process, this means that the system must follow a specific path in order to return to its initial state, and all changes must be reversible.

4. How is work calculated in a circular process?

In a circular process, the work done by the system is equal to the area enclosed by the process on a P-V diagram. This is because the work done is the integral of the pressure with respect to the volume. In a circular process, the pressure and volume values are the same at the beginning and end of the process, resulting in a net work of zero.

5. What is the efficiency of a circular process?

The efficiency of a circular process is always 100%. This is because the efficiency is calculated by dividing the work output by the energy input, and in a circular process, both of these values are equal to zero. This means that all of the energy input into the system is converted into work, resulting in a 100% efficiency.