Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Technology and religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexmahone

Jan 26, 2012
I've always been fascinated by the fact that humans, on the one hand are capable of creating machines to communicate with people on the other side of the globe, and on the other hand are capable of believing petty superstitions of the past. What do you think?

(Since this a forum of mathematicians, I hope no one will be offended by this post.)

Jan 31, 2012
I've always been fascinated by the fact that humans, on the one hand are capable of creating machines to communicate with people on the other side of the globe, and on the other hand are capable of believing petty superstitions of the past. What do you think?(Since this a forum of mathematicians, I hope no one will be offended by this post.)
If we were in Israeli math forum, I suspecting that this post had offended them... Religious and mathematics(is there possible for technology existing without science?), is there any connection between them? 430905_2597673381880_1256111983_31938760_1792886611_n.jpg

Alexmahone

Jan 26, 2012
Religious and mathematics(is there possible for technology existing without science?), is there any connection between them?
I would think that mathematicians are less likely to believe in superstitious religion. (There are exceptions though: John Lennox is a maths professor at Oxford University who believes that Jesus Christ is our ultimate saviour.)

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012
If people were content with the fact that some questions can't be answered (at least not know), then maybe we would get along better and not want to kill each other.

Last edited:

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I would think that mathematicians are less likely to believe in superstitious religion. (There are exceptions though: John Lennox is a maths professor at Oxford University who believes that Jesus Christ is our ultimate saviour.)
Mathematicians are more likely to believe the latter than physicists, and considerably more likely to believe that than biologists.

I'm not sure you really want to know what I think. If you're really curious, PM me.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Mathematicians are more likely to believe the latter than physicists, and considerably more likely to believe that than biologists.

I'm not sure you really want to know what I think. If you're really curious, PM me.
Yup, I read somewhere as well last year that mathematicians are more religious than physicists.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I was raised in a Christian household, but by the age of 16, I was solidly skeptical of supernatural claims, and have decided since then that until evidence for the supernatural is presented, I have no reason to believe.

I feel the burden of proof is on those who would make such claims, and so far no such proof or evidence has been forthcoming.

I truly respect the decision of others to have faith, but I am unable to believe things for which faith alone is required, with or without technology. (Nerd)

sbhatnagar

Jan 27, 2012
I don't believe in superstitions but I do believe in God.

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
...and on the other hand are capable of believing petty superstitions of the past...
The simple 'identity' Religion = petty supertition of the past' You adopted as 'hypothesis' means that any discussion among us is wasting time, and about that I suggest to You the following picture, where my signature [see below...] is reported...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Attachments

Alexmahone

Jan 26, 2012
The simple 'identity' Religion = petty supertition of the past' You adopted as 'hypothesis' means that any discussion among us is wasting time, and about that I suggest to You the following picture, where my signature [see below...] is reported...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
As I said in my OP, I did not intend to offend anyone.

I used "Google translate" on your signature and I got: that 'loss of time most people' know more 'sorry. What exactly does it mean?

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
As I said in my OP, I did not intend to offend anyone.

I used "Google translate" on your signature and I got: that 'loss of time most people' know more 'sorry. What exactly does it mean?
The [approximate...] translation of 'perder tempo a chi piu' sa piu' spiace' is the more you know, the less you like wasting time. The sentence is from Dante Alighieri's Poem La Divina Commedia and is sculpted on the stone placed on the main door of my University College that I use as avatar...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
Strange, but he made no such identification, he merely observed that there are some/many who do believe religious ideas for the past that might legitimately be described as petty superstitions. For all we know Alexmahone may subscribe to some contemporary religion which may or may not constitute a petty superstition, but owes little to the past.

Anyway I have sat on the side lines over this thread despite having been minded to close it right from the start, now I will close it.

CB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.