Task: Function for the acceleration throughout a loop?

In summary, the task involves a mass moving in a 2D coordinate system attached to a fixed point by a rope with constant length. The object moves in a circular loop with a constant force acting on it. The first task is to find the acceleration at four given points using Newton's 2nd law. The second task is to find a function for the acceleration vector at any position in the loop. The difficulty lies in the interference between the constant force and the force from the rope. One idea is to redefine the coordinate system to simplify the calculation. However, the string length may change if work is done against the force from the rope.
OskarBillington
So, this seemed really fun to me until I got stuck.

THE TASK is about an object with mass m, moving in a basic (2D) coordinate system. It is attached to origo (0, 0) by a "rope" with constant length r=5. In position P0(-5, 0) it has the velocity v0=[0, -10]. Hence, the object moves around origo in a circular loop, and the force on m from the rope shall be referred to as C. There is also another (constant) force: F=[10m, 0] (m being the mass: all calculations should be done without units). F could represent a gravitational pull, to ease the comparison to a standard loop. By the terms, the mechanical energy is conserved.

First, you are asked to find the acceleration (expressed as a vector) in points (-5, 0), (0, -5), (5, 0), (0, 5). This is easily done by Newton's 2nd law: ΣF=ma⇒ either m[±v2/r, 0] (in points (-5, 0) and (5, 0), because ΣF=centripetal force=mv2/2) or m[10, ±v2/r] (in the other two points, because ΣFx=F and ΣFy=centripetal force).

FINALLY: You are now asked to find a function a(α)=[ax, ay].
- a is the acceleration vector of m.
- α is the angle, determining the position of m. Preferably, you want this to be the angle from the positive x-axis to the "rope" (counter clockwise).
- The vector function shall describe the acceleration vector of m at any position in the loop.
Good luck

Notes:

It seems that the reason why the second task is hard is because F interferes with Cx. In comparison: in the first task, F has either everything or nothing to do with C. C does of course consist of the pull from the rope, and in most positions also some push/pull from F. I can hardly explain the issue any better (at least in English), but you may anyhow find that the task is quite difficult.

An idea of mine is to define the x-/ y-axes along the velocity vector and the C vector, so that when α changes, F only rotates around m. In this redefined coordinate system: ΣFx will then depend only on the angle, and will simply* be equal to Fx (*still difficult to cover the entire 360° movement with one function). ΣFy will always equal C, again equal to mv2/r - and a function of the size v may be possible to work out. With this x-/y-perspective I suppose you will result in a vector function for a, which would then have to be modified to "rotate" back to work with the x-/y-axis definition in the original task.

I am inexperienced with the English physics terms, hence the poor or incorrect use of terminology. Please inform me on potential for improvement!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Oskar,

I've moved this thread to the introductory physics homework forum, but in the future please post all homework or homework-type questions in the appropriate homework forum and use the template provided when making a new thread. Thanks.

As the question suggests, this is just like a mass executing a vertical circle in the presence of gravity. How would you determine the speed at a given angle in that case?

haruspex said:
As the question suggests, this is just like a mass executing a vertical circle in the presence of gravity. How would you determine the speed at a given angle in that case?
At a given angle, I don't know. At the 4 angles in task 1 I thought I was onto something (WF=Fs=Δmv2/2). However, I just realized that, i.e., F does not add 10m*10 kinetic energy units from P0 to (5, 0), as F does work on both the speed and C all the way. Working on general velocity now...

OskarBillington said:
At a given angle, I don't know. At the 4 angles in task 1 I thought I was onto something (WF=Fs=Δmv2/2). However, I just realized that, i.e., F does not add 10m*10 kinetic energy units from P0 to (5, 0), as F does work on both the speed and C all the way. Working on general velocity now...
Will the string remain taut? If work is done against C, what does that imply about the string length?

Related to Task: Function for the acceleration throughout a loop?

1. What is a loop in programming?

A loop is a programming structure that allows for the repetition of a set of instructions or statements until a certain condition is met. It is commonly used to efficiently perform a task multiple times.

2. How is acceleration calculated in a loop?

Acceleration can be calculated in a loop by using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time taken. This formula is applied for each iteration of the loop to calculate the acceleration at different points in time.

3. Can a loop be used to calculate the acceleration of an object in real-time?

Yes, a loop can be used to calculate the acceleration of an object in real-time. By continuously updating the values of velocity and time within the loop, the acceleration can be calculated and displayed in real-time.

4. What is the importance of using a function for acceleration in a loop?

Using a function for acceleration in a loop allows for the code to be more organized and modular. This means that the code can be easily reused and modified without having to rewrite the entire loop. It also helps to make the code more readable and easier to debug.

5. Are there any limitations when using a loop to calculate acceleration?

One limitation of using a loop to calculate acceleration is that it may not be the most efficient method for complex calculations. In such cases, using built-in functions or libraries may be more suitable. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculated acceleration may also be affected by the number of iterations in the loop and the precision of the input data.