Normal force as a function of time (oscillator)

In summary: If so, what should be the value of y(0)?It is generally simpler if you define it as displacement from equilibrium.
Luxucs

Homework Statement

A spring with spring constant k is attached to a box of mass M in which is placed a small body of mass m. The system is displaced a distance A from equilibrium and released from rest. Find the normal force between the box and the small mass as a function of time. For what initial displacement A will the small mass just begin to lose contact with the box?

(Picture of the situation is attached if necessary.)

Homework Equations

[/B]
##\vec F = m\vec a##
##\vec F_{spring} = -k\vec y##
##ω_o = \sqrt{\frac k {m + M}}##
##y(t = 0) = A##
##v(t = 0) = 0##

Note that ##ω_o## is just the natural angular frequency here of the combined masses. We're also assuming there is no damping present here.

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by recognizing that while the blocks are in contact with one another, they will be moving together, and thus share a common velocity and acceleration. Thus, so I didn't have to initially worry about the normal forces, I wrote out Newton's 2nd Law for the combined masses as a whole (I'm taking the upwards direction to be positive here),

##-ky - (m + M)g = (m + M)\ddot y##

If we rearrange terms, we find that,

##\ddot y + {ω_o}^2y = -g## (1)

This differential equation has two solutions due to the presence of a constant on the RHS,

##y(t) = y_c + y_p## (2)

##y_p## is the particular solution, and ##y_c## is the complementary (homogeneous) solution, and it is rather well-known for the oscillator,

##y_c(t) = C\cos{ω_ot} + D\sin{w_ot}## (3)

Where C and D are constants to be determined by initial conditions. This now leaves us with ##y_p(t)## to find. Since the RHS of the differential equation is a constant, we guess that,

##y_p = B##

Where B is some constant. If we substitute this guess into (1), we observe,

##B = \frac {-g} {{ω_o}^2}## (4)

Substituting (3) and (4) into (2), we have the general solution for the motion of the system,

##y(t) = C\cos{ω_ot} + D\sin{w_ot} - \frac {g} {{ω_o}^2}## (5)

Taking the first time derivative of (5), we obtain,

##v(t) = -ω_oC\sin{ω_ot} + ω_oD\cos{ω_ot}## (6)

From initial conditions, we find from (5) and (6),

##C = A + \frac {g} {{ω_o}^2}##
##D = 0##

Thus, the complete solution to (1) is,

##y(t) = (A + \frac {g} {{ω_o}^2})\cos{ω_ot} - \frac {g} {{ω_o}^2}## (7)

If we then consider the forces acting exclusively on m, from Newton's 2nd Law we have, and knowing that the acceleration acting on m is the same as that on (m + M),

##n - mg = m\ddot y## (8)

From (7), taking the second time derivative,

##\ddot y = -{ω_o}^2(A + \frac {g} {{ω_o}^2})\cos{ω_ot}## (9)

Substituting (9) into (8), we obtain the normal force as a function of time,

##n(t) = m(-({ω_o}^2A + g)\cos{ω_ot} + g)## (10)

My questions mainly concern if I messed up anywhere on obtaining (10), whether it be the physics or the math. Everything seems right to me, but the negative sign in front of the cosine term has me a bit concerned. Furthermore, I absolutely have no idea on how to go about solving the second part of the question. If we take (10), equate it to 0, and argue that since we care about initial displacement, t = 0, we have,

##0 = m(-({ω_o}^2A + g) + g)##
##A = 0##

Which obviously isn't right. I have a feeling it has to do with ##{ω_o}##, as m is going to be in free fall when the normal force vanishes? Where am I messing up at?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    17.9 KB · Views: 486
Physics news on Phys.org
Equation 7 cannot be right. The displacement from equilibrium was A, so that must be the amplitude.
Looks like you defined y as spring extension. If so, what should be the value of y(0)?
It is generally simpler if you define it as displacement from equilibrium.

haruspex said:
Equation 7 cannot be right. The displacement from equilibrium was A, so that must be the amplitude.
Looks like you defined y as spring extension. If so, what should be the value of y(0)?
It is generally simpler if you define it as displacement from equilibrium.

##y(0)## from (7) yields the expected displacement though, A. Are you saying in that the way that I have set up things, it should be instead yielding 2A? If so, would my new initial condition have the form ##y(t = 0) = 2A##? My understanding is that with Hooke's Law, y is the displacement from equilibrium, which is what was solved for above.

EDIT: I should clarify; I took y = 0 to be at equilibrium, where y is some distance from that equilibrium.

Last edited:
Luxucs said:
I took y = 0 to be at equilibrium
No: at ##y=0## you have ##\ddot y\ne 0##.

BvU said:
No: at ##y=0## you have ##\ddot y\ne 0##.
Right, I was looking at that eqn (1) when I wrote
haruspex said:
Looks like you defined y as spring extension

Alright, so I've stepped back and re-evaluated this problem from the beginning. I'm figuring that my issue mainly has to do with the way I've set up the coordinates here.

Let y = 0 be the relaxed position of the spring (i.e without any masses on it). Then, when the masses are added, the spring is displaced by -L. So, we have,

##\vec F_{spring} = -k \Delta \vec y = k \Delta \vec L##

So, our net force at equilibrium would then be,

## F_y = k \Delta L - (m + M)g = 0##
##\Delta L = \frac {(m+M)g} k##

Then, if we consider the problem when the masses are accelerating upward,

##-k\Delta y - (m + M)g = (m+M)\ddot y##
##\Delta y = y - \Delta L##

It reduces down to the following, eliminating the gravitational force,

##-ky = (m+M)\ddot y##

This is a homogeneous differential equation now, and the solution simply is,

##y(t) = A\cos{ω_ot}##

Where A is the initial amplitude given in the problem statement. From Newton's 2nd Law on m,

##n - mg = m\ddot y##
##n(t) = m(g - {ω_o}^2A\cos{ω_ot})##

For the initial displacement A such that n vanishes, we find,

##0 = m(g - {ω_o}^2A)##
##A = \frac g {{ω_o}^2}##

How's this look?

Luxucs said:
How's this look?
Looks right.

Likes Luxucs
Great, thanks for the help!

do you have solution manual for this book?

Haroon Khan said:
do you have solution manual for this book?
The thread is six months old. Luxucs might not be around any more.

I'm still around. No, I don't have the solution manual for this book, sorry.

Related to Normal force as a function of time (oscillator)

1. What is normal force as a function of time in an oscillator?

Normal force as a function of time in an oscillator refers to the force that acts perpendicular to the surface of an object as it oscillates or vibrates. It is a restoring force that maintains the equilibrium of the object.

2. How is normal force related to the displacement of an oscillator?

The normal force in an oscillator is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. As the object moves away from the equilibrium, the normal force increases to bring it back to its original position.

3. What factors affect the normal force as a function of time in an oscillator?

The normal force in an oscillator is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the oscillation. A higher mass or spring constant will result in a greater normal force, while a larger amplitude will result in a decrease in the normal force.

4. How does normal force affect the frequency of an oscillator?

The normal force in an oscillator affects the frequency by determining how quickly the object oscillates. A higher normal force will result in a higher frequency, while a lower normal force will result in a lower frequency.

5. What is the significance of understanding normal force as a function of time in an oscillator?

Understanding normal force as a function of time in an oscillator is crucial in many areas of science and engineering, such as in the study of vibrations and waves. It also helps in the design and analysis of mechanical systems that involve oscillatory motion, such as springs and pendulums.