Does V0 affect acceleration under constant Force?

In summary, the problem involves a block of mass 10 kg on a table with friction between the block and the table. The coefficient of friction is 0.1 and there is a constant force being applied to the block. Part A asks to find the acceleration of the block when the initial velocity is 0 and the applied force is 5 N. Part B asks for the acceleration with a constant force of 5 N and an initial velocity of 2 m/s. Part C asks for the acceleration with a constant force of 15 N and an initial velocity of 2 m/s. The equations used are ΣF=ma and Ff=μN. The solution for A is that the acceleration is 0. For
VinnieD

Homework Statement

A block of mass M = 10 kg is sitting on the table as shwoin Figure above. There is friction between the block and the table, the coefficient of friction is u = 0.1.
The block has initial velocity V, and a constant forceF is applied to the black as showing Figure above.
A) For the case of V = 0 and F = 5 N, find acceleration of the block
B) Constant force is F = 5N, and at time t = 0, the initial velocity is v = 2 m/s, find acceleration of the block.
C) Constant force is F = 15N, and at time t = 0, the initial velocity is v = 2 m/s find acceleration of the block.

It asks to find the dependence of velocity and position as functions of time, but I assume i just integrate to find those.

Homework Equations

ΣF=ma
Ff=μN

The Attempt at a Solution

F0-Ff=10kg(a)
a=(5N-10N)/10kg; a=0

So I think the acceleration is 0 in both cases, but I'm uncertain if the initial velocity would have an effect. Assuming I derived a correctly V0 doesn't affect a, but I'm honestly not sure.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't state the problem, but in any case acceleration only depends on the net force.

VinnieD said:
a=(5N-10N)/10kg; a=0
(5 - 10)/10 does not equal zero.

I know in the first case the force of friction is greater than the applied force so its a is 0.
How do I find the acceleration of the second case with the V0 of 2?

Is it just -.5m/s2

Please state the complete problem!

Likes SammyS

1. How does V0 affect acceleration under constant force?

Velocity (V0) does not have a direct effect on acceleration under constant force. Acceleration is determined by the net force acting on an object, and is independent of its initial velocity.

2. Can V0 change the acceleration of an object?

No, V0 cannot change the acceleration of an object. The acceleration of an object is determined only by the magnitude and direction of the net force acting on it.

3. Is there a relationship between V0 and acceleration?

There is no direct relationship between V0 and acceleration. However, the initial velocity of an object can affect the distance it travels during acceleration, as well as its final velocity.

4. If V0 is zero, will the acceleration also be zero?

No, the acceleration will not necessarily be zero if V0 is zero. If a constant force is applied to an object with an initial velocity of zero, it will still experience acceleration and increase in velocity over time.

5. How does V0 affect the time it takes for an object to reach a certain velocity?

V0 does not affect the time it takes for an object to reach a certain velocity. The acceleration of an object is determined by the net force acting on it, not its initial velocity. However, a larger initial velocity means the object will reach the desired velocity faster, as long as the force acting on it remains constant.