Tall people are happier, better educated

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: Needless to say, I felt a bit embarrassed.In summary, the study found that taller people are happier than shorter people. This is likely due to their higher income and education levels.
I went to NEBR since that's who the article references. I found this, written in 2006, published in 2008:

http://www.nber.org/papers/w12466

and the same authors in 2009 (as above paper, different then Evo's Princeton authors):

http://papers.nber.org/papers/w14007

here's some comments about the paper by Lester Picker:

http://www.nber.org/digest/jan09/w14007.html

In general, you can try this in google to target nber's site:

taller people site:nber.org

Physics news on Phys.org
Cyrus said:
Man, it's not just fragrances you're sensitive to...:bugeye:
Perhaps you need some sensitivity training. Is there even a chance in your little world that you might consider that another person might actually suffer from an affliction that you can't understand? Very sad.

turbo-1 said:
Perhaps you need some sensitivity training. Is there even a chance in your little world that you might consider that another person might actually suffer from an affliction that you can't understand? Very sad.

Actually, I was pretty shocked at how defensive your post was on a mere article that Evo posted. You practically provided your entire resume to show your own worth because of what a yahoo! news article said..... :rolleyes:

The entire point was that the article is stupid, but I think that one flew over your head (Pun intended).

To be clear: we're joking in this thread.

Now go, "Ha-Ha-HA-HA-HA-HAHA-Giggle-HAhAHA", say something about how I'm tall and stupid and relax. :wink:

Last edited:
I'm pretty tall and I have a kinda shtick that I do. Whenever someone says "You're tall can you grab that for me, it's closer for you", I say "You're short, can you tie my shoes for me? It's closer for you". I'm joking of course. I laugh and then I grab whatever they wanted.

Evo said:
Does anyone here think that there is any truth to his claim that "tall people are better educated"?

No but beautiful people tend to be more successful in professional life

marlon

Cyrus said:
Actually, I was pretty shocked at how defensive your post was on a mere article that Evo posted. You practically provided your entire resume to show your own worth because of what a yahoo! news article said..... :rolleyes:

The entire point was that the article is stupid, but I think that one flew over your head (Pun intended).

To be clear: we're joking in this thread.

Now go, "Ha-Ha-HA-HA-HA-HAHA-Giggle-HAhAHA", say something about how I'm tall and stupid and relax. :wink:

If you continue to post such harsh comments, you will get banned...permanently...
and i am taller than you ...
and better educated

marlon

marlon said:
If you continue to post such harsh comments, you will get banned...permanently...
and better educated

marlon

Pull the string, MARLON.

Edit: PUSH. PUSH the string.

Last edited:
maverick_starstrider said:
I'm pretty tall and I have a kinda shtick that I do. Whenever someone says "You're tall can you grab that for me, it's closer for you", I say "You're short, can you tie my shoes for me? It's closer for you".

:smile: I using that one on Tsu the next time she asks me to grab something for her.

marlon said:
and better educated

marlon

Cyrus said:
Pull the string, MARLON.

No bickering you two. :devil:

Cyrus said:
I've read accounts by several different journalists that the happiest people are alway the very poorest. They are always smiling, which is rarely the case for richer people. I think they attributed it to the fact that rich people spend most of their time worrying about things, while the poor people enjoy a simple stress free life.

Having spent a considerable amount of time visiting somewhat poor people I would generally agree that being rich does not lead to much happiness. However, there is a limit. I'm now in a country where abject poverty truly exists for a lot of the population, and I don't see very many smiling faces among those people. They are very stoic, but not really happy.

Though, being at the shorter end of the spectrum (5'2"), I think it's a bunch of hooey about tall people being happier. For one, they have a lot more back pain. Perhaps they smile more, but that's probably because they've been knocked senseless so many times when walking under tree branches and lower doorways that they aren't quite all there anymore. :biggrin: I'm happy, I'm well educated, I'm short...that's what step ladders are for!

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Causation, correlation, who knows? there are so many factors involved, the metrics are messy. I'm skeptical of pretty much everything. It's possible, but I'm not going to waste time thinking about it.

A lot of geniuses in history were short (ex : einstien). Top two billionare buffet and bill gates are pretty short (i think). Are NBA players (on extreme end of spectrum) the happiest in life? Well it seems with better nutrition and later generations height increases .(son is taller than the father). its hard to see a correlation between height and success or education. Its like asking do blue eyed people have better eyesight than brown or green eyes ?.

When does "tall" start? I'm 6-feet plus 1/4 of an inch, so I usually say 6'0" but then people assume that I'm 5' 11-3/4" and tell me to stand with the short people, which is fine because then around them I'm "tall" and they have to give me money.

Evo said:
Does anyone here think that there is any truth to his claim that "tall people are better educated"?

I think there is a significant correlation between height and skull/brain size.

Evo said:
or happier?

No. It's an individual matter.

reese92tsi said:
I think there is a significant correlation between height and skull/brain size.
You haven't seen Giada De Laurentiis.

It's brain folding that is most significant.

I don't have the time to read the whole thread, but an interesting question arises: even if this was true (of course, "true" under certain "statistical" circumstances), what good does such research do and what's the point? It's definitely a crappy and non-useful dead end in research.

thorium1010 said:
A lot of geniuses in history were short (ex : einstien). Top two billionare buffet and bill gates are pretty short (i think). Are NBA players (on extreme end of spectrum) the happiest in life? Well it seems with better nutrition and later generations height increases .(son is taller than the father). its hard to see a correlation between height and success or education. Its like asking do blue eyed people have better eyesight than brown or green eyes ?.

Actually, eye color and eyesight are closer together than height and education...

If this is true, why are nerds typically portrayed as short?

What i have heard in the past is that tall people tend to be favoured by employers in roles of leadership. Thats what might explain why this study presents the results it does. It's more an indication of social prejudices than anything else.

Char. Limit said:
Actually, eye color and eyesight are closer together than ...

Are you sure ? I don't get it . As far i know there is no correlation between eyesight and color of iris.

All that energy is used in the brain (nerds) and very little for height :smile:

Char. Limit said:
Actually, eye color and eyesight are closer together than height and education...

For the same reason that big and tall people are portrayed as dumb and bumbling... stereotypes made by idiots who don't really grasp the material, so to speak. Besides, an average nerd doesn't stand out in your mind the way a tiny nerd does... it's a bit like cold-reading yourself.

Cyrus said:
I've read accounts by several different journalists that the happiest people are alway the very poorest. They are always smiling, which is rarely the case for richer people. I think they attributed it to the fact that rich people spend most of their time worrying about things, while the poor people enjoy a simple stress free life.

Hmmm... so it may be best for me to sell everything for cash and go berserk in vegas.

I am 5'10" and a few centimeters tall, however, I do not care too much about money. I am happy though with the occasional bad days. I just feel money is not the sole purpose of life in general so I do not exactly live for it like others live to make money.

If you have made a purpose for yourself and do what you love, you will be happier. I do not find the, "being tall, thus happy vs. being short, thus unhappy" substantive enough to take note. Just some guy's "opinion".

DBTS said:
I am 5'10" and a few centimeters tall, however, I do not care too much about money. I am happy though with the occasional bad days. I just feel money is not the sole purpose of life in general so I do not exactly live for it like others live to make money.

If you have made a purpose for yourself and do what you love, you will be happier. I do not find the, "being tall, thus happy vs. being short, thus unhappy" substantive enough to take note. Just some guy's "opinion".

Does that mean you're 5'11" or so :wink:?

What is funny about the article is that the guy is an economist. Not a scientist, not an academecian. I wonder if the only thing this guy has going for him is height?

I found this part funny:

According to Deaton's analysis, the result is linked to education and income. The study found that taller people tend to have more education, and thus higher income levels, than shorter people.

I wonder where he arrived at such a conclusion given his analysis? On average being "taller" is a little more rare in the human populous, so there is more average height above 5'9" and below 6'0" than people taller than 6ft.
Of course given that you are comparing two classes, the one with the fewest will seem good in regards to those of the larger group but that is not the case. Someone correct me if I am wrong...

lisab said:
Does that mean you're 5'11" or so :wink:?

Just when the spinal cored extends, so I have to put it in between. Or is this some type of joke? I suck at nuances...

Evo said:
What is funny about the article is that the guy is an economist. Not a scientist, not an academecian. I wonder if the only thing this guy has going for him is height?

It sure as hell isn't his gifted prose, I'll tell you that much!

Evo said:

Makes sense. They're closer to the sun. :rolleyes:

DBTS said:
I am 5'10" and a few centimeters tall...

Obviously not tall enough to know that's 5'11" :-p

FlexGunship said:
Makes sense. They're closer to the sun. :rolleyes:

I'm almost positive that you're thinking of trees in a rainforest competing for sunlight. :biggrin:

I'm sorry the link isn't working for me.

The study found that taller people tend to have more education, and thus higher income levels, than shorter people.

Did the study say why taller people tend to have more education?

qspeechc said:
No, apparently it was from a Gallup poll. :rolleyes:

The article is still here. http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1913256,00.html

The papper can be obtained here. http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1422968

qspeechc said:

They have a better view of the chalkboard?

Likes gracy
Ivan Seeking said:

:smile:

Ivan Seeking said:

No, they can cheat easily. You know, glancing from one paper to another. :biggrin: