Sync Now with Vivaldi: The Fastest Browser Out There!

• MHB
  • Thread starter Ackbach
  • Start date
In summary, Vivaldi's Sync Now feature is a fast and efficient way to synchronize data across multiple devices while using their web browser. It allows users to seamlessly access their bookmarks, history, and other settings on any device, making the browsing experience more convenient and streamlined. With its quick syncing capabilities and customizable options, Vivaldi proves to be one of the fastest browsers available for users looking for a seamless and efficient way to browse the internet.
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
The Vivaldi browser has Sync now! Yet another reason to go with this browser, which I regard as the fastest one out there.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hello Ackbach, thank you, I have been using only Vivaldi since I adopted it following your https://mathhelpboards.com/chat-room-9/firefox-quantum-22744-post102654.html#post102654 from last year. Personally, I don't find the syncing very important, but the change from version 1.15 to 2.0 indicates that it is probably a major update overall.

(In case you happen to use a Linux distribution that does not have updated packages, or does not provide Vivaldi at all, it may be possible to just download the standard .deb or .rpm from the Vivaldi site, change the version number in your local build script and upgrade without any problem. For example, adapting the version number in this script (still for 1.15 at the time of writing) is enough to build the new Slackware package for 2.0.)

Krylov said:
Hello Ackbach, thank you, I have been using only Vivaldi since I adopted it following your https://mathhelpboards.com/chat-room-9/firefox-quantum-22744-post102654.html#post102654 from last year. Personally, I don't find the syncing very important, but the change from version 1.15 to 2.0 indicates that it is probably a major update overall.

(In case you happen to use a Linux distribution that does not have updated packages, or does not provide Vivaldi at all, it may be possible to just download the standard .deb or .rpm from the Vivaldi site, change the version number in your local build script and upgrade without any problem. For example, adapting the version number in this script (still for 1.15 at the time of writing) is enough to build the new Slackware package for 2.0.)

In the Linux case, if you download the .deb or .rpm package and simply re-install, that works fine.

Ackbach said:
In the Linux case, if you download the .deb or .rpm package and simply re-install, that works fine.

It only works when you have a Debian (.deb) or Redhat / Fedora (.rpm) based distro.
On my system I cannot installs .debs or .rpms.

This thread has encouraged me to download and install the latest update...although I don't even know what "Sync" is. (Giggle)

edit: okay, it was explained after the update...I have no need for it, but glad to have the update done. :)

Krylov said:
It only works when you have a Debian (.deb) or Redhat / Fedora (.rpm) based distro.
On my system I cannot installs .debs or .rpms.

Ah, I see. What are you running? Gentoo? Arch? Slack? Something else?

Since no one explained what this big time 'Sync' is all about, I just went ahead and upgraded myself as well.
Just to find out what this 'Sync' means.
Hmm... I think it means that I should install Vivaldi on my mobile phone, and if I do, I get the same bookmarks on MHB that I have on my laptop. Is that it?

I like Serena said:
Since no one explained what this big time 'Sync' is all about, I just went ahead and upgraded myself as well.
Just to find out what this 'Sync' means.
Hmm... I think it means that I should install Vivaldi on my mobile phone, and if I do, I get the same bookmarks on MHB that I have on my laptop. Is that it?

I haven't tried that, so I don't know. Theoretically, it means that across different machines, you can log in with the same username and password, and get all your bookmarks, settings, etc. I think Vivaldi's Sync feature is on the right track, but I'm not sure it's working correctly as yet. It's certainly better than nothing.

I've been using the latest Vivaldi for about a week now. It's fast and reliable - only the extensions/plug-ins "tab" seems lacking (maybe there is something I'm missing). Given that I use a 32-bit system with just a gig of RAM that's pretty good! Love it!

greg1313 said:
It's fast and reliable - only the extensions/plug-ins "tab" seems lacking (maybe there is something I'm missing).

Here (Vivaldi 2.0 on another system, but I think it should be the same) I get the "Extensions" tab via one of the equivalent ways:

Tools $\rightarrow$ Extensions, or,
Control-Shift-E, or,
vivaldi://extensions in the address bar.

If you then click the menu "Extensions" in the top left of the appearing page, and then go all the way down, it says "Open Chrome Web Store". (alternatively, direct link). You can then install any chrome extensions into Vivaldi. I did this with a few of them and did not experience problems.

Let us know if you need help.

Ackbach said:
Ah, I see. What are you running? Gentoo? Arch? Slack? Something else?
Slackware. I was always very fond of Debian and used it for years, but the switch to systemd a while ago made my computer difficult to use, mainly because of spontaneous reboots that I have so far failed to understand. (It may not have been systemd's fault, but dropping systemd did remove the erratic behavior.)

1. What makes Vivaldi the fastest browser out there?

Vivaldi is built on top of the Chromium open source project, which is known for its speed and performance. Additionally, Vivaldi has a streamlined and efficient user interface that allows for quick navigation and browsing.

2. How does "Sync Now" work on Vivaldi?

Sync Now is a feature on Vivaldi that allows users to sync their browsing data, such as bookmarks, passwords, and history, across multiple devices. This is done through a secure and encrypted connection, ensuring the privacy and security of the user's data.

3. Can I sync my browsing data on Vivaldi with other browsers?

Currently, Vivaldi only supports syncing data between devices running Vivaldi. However, there are plans to expand this feature to include syncing with other browsers in the future.

4. Is "Sync Now" available on all devices?

Yes, "Sync Now" is available on all devices that support Vivaldi, including desktops, laptops, and mobile devices.

5. How can I enable "Sync Now" on Vivaldi?

To enable "Sync Now" on Vivaldi, simply go to the "Settings" menu, click on "Sync", and follow the prompts to sign in with your Vivaldi account and choose which data you want to sync. You can also enable "Sync Now" during the initial setup of Vivaldi on a new device.