[Fix] Google Contacts sync error from Android phone

In summary, there is a known issue with contacts sync on Android devices and Google accounts. Several solutions have been suggested, such as removing and adding the account or clearing the data of the contacts app, but these have not been effective for some users. However, one user found success by deleting the data of Google Play Services, which allowed their contacts to sync properly. This solution has been shared for others to try if they encounter the same problem. Additional steps were provided by the website Techgara, but it did not work for the user.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
A fix for the contacts sync error with Google account
This is a known issue all over the net, and with almost all versions of Android, from KitKat to Oreo. If you have enabled contacts sync with Google, you might get the following error if you head to Accounts section under Settings, and then select Google:
Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly.
No official solution has been rolled out. Google mentions some hacks, like removing and adding the account, clearing the data of contacts app, etc.

None of these worked for me, so I have been manually "syncing" my contacts for the last 8 months or so.

Today, I found my phone storage was almost full. So I decided (I don't know why) to delete all the data of the Google Play Services. Voila! Sync is now back and working properly.

Just wanted to share this so that others who face the same problem can try it out. I tried from Samsung Galaxy On7, Android 6.0.1.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G
Computer science news on Phys.org
I followed these steps like the website Techgara said:
  • Go to Contacts
  • Tap Menu, then select Contacts to Display
  • Select Device (usually a blue phone icon). After this, only the contacts on your phone will appear
  • Tap Menu again and select Merge Accounts
  • Select the Merge with Google option, which will merge all your contacts with Google.
  • Go back and select Menu again.
  • Select Contacts to display, then All contacts. You should see all your contacts this time
But it didn't work.
I'm going to try yours.

1. What causes the Google Contacts sync error on my Android phone?

The most common cause of this error is a problem with your internet connection, outdated software, or a misconfiguration in your phone's settings. It could also be due to a bug or glitch in the Google Contacts app.

2. How do I fix the Google Contacts sync error on my Android phone?

First, make sure that your internet connection is stable and strong. Then, try updating your phone's software and the Google Contacts app to the latest version. If the issue persists, go to your phone's Settings, tap on Accounts, and select Google. From there, tap on your Google account and make sure that the Contacts toggle is turned on. You can also try clearing the cache and data of the Google Contacts app.

3. Do I need to have a Google account to sync my contacts on my Android phone?

Yes, in order to sync your contacts using the Google Contacts app, you will need to have a Google account. You can easily create one for free if you do not already have one.

4. Will fixing the Google Contacts sync error delete any of my existing contacts?

No, fixing the sync error will not delete any of your existing contacts. However, if you have made any recent changes to your contacts, it may take some time for the changes to reflect in the synced version.

5. Can I sync my Google Contacts with multiple Android devices?

Yes, you can sync your Google Contacts with multiple Android devices as long as you are using the same Google account on all devices. Any changes made to your contacts on one device will automatically be synced to the other devices.