Why can't I comment on YouTube videos?

• Thread starter pervect
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tube
In summary: YouTube channel. When you try to sign into your YouTube account, you might be shown two choices. One radio button shows your gmail address and another radio button shows your channel or channels if you created more than one channel. I am not at all sure if that is what you need; try choose the radio button of your own desired channel.I tried that, and it still didn't work.I am not at all sure if that is what you need; try choose the radio button of your own desired channel.In summary, YouTube does not seem to be able to comment on videos. There is a greyed out box that says "confirmation", but no hint as to
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
I don't seem to be able to comment on you tube videos. It doesn't give me an error message, there is a greyed out box that says "confirmation", but no hint as to what's wrong. I see one other comment on the video, so I assume comments are open.

I don't see any hint as to where to get technical support - I've browsed through the WWW, with no luck, trying to figure out the issue. It took me a while to figure out how to attempt to leave a comment at all - I login with my gmail account, and I went so far as to create a "channel", which some sites indicated was necessary, but I still don't seem to be able to comment, or find any information on why not. Some sites mentioned google+, but other sites mentioned that was discontinued a while ago.

The you tube help page has been very unhelpful, and I think I mentioned I haven't found any contact address for any sort of technical support. I tried with a couple of different browsers, firefox, and google chrome, same results.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Can you post a screenshot of the problem?
pervect said:
I login with my gmail account, and I went so far as to create a "channel", which some sites indicated was necessary
They were right — in order to be able to comment, you have to create a channel on YouTube.

Wrichik Basu said:
Can you post a screenshot of the problem?

They were right — in order to be able to comment, you have to create a channel on YouTube.

Which I did, as I said. But - I still can't reply, the button is grayed out, and there is no error message to tell me why.

pervect said:
Which I did, as I said. But - I still can't reply, the button is grayed out, and there is no error message to tell me why.
Do you have another Gmail account? Create one if you don't (you can always delete it later). Go to YouTube, create a channel, and now see if you can post a comment.

I can comment on youtube videos and I have never created a channel. Channels are for sharing videos, why would you have to create one just to comment on other peoples videos?

Can you try through a different browser as it may be a browser cache issue.

MikeeMiracle said:
I can comment on youtube videos and I have never created a channel. Channels are for sharing videos, why would you have to create one just to comment on other peoples videos?
That is a requirement put forward by YouTube. No idea why it doesn't apply to all users.
MikeeMiracle said:
Can you try through a different browser as it may be a browser cache issue.
See this:
pervect said:
I tried with a couple of different browsers, firefox, and google chrome, same results.

MikeeMiracle said:
why would you have to create one just to comment on other peoples videos?
Because that way, youtube gets your email address which they then sell. Remember the adage, if you are not paying for a product, YOU are the product.

Phinds: That still only points to you having to login which I can confirm that I do with my gmail account, you can't post without being logged in. It was the requirement to have to "create a channel" that I was querying.

I can only speak from personal experience based in the UK, if it's different for other users / geographical areas I can't comment on that.

Creating another gmail account (and a channel with it) did work. Problem solved! Thanks, everyone.

Likes Wrichik Basu
pervect said:
Creating another gmail account (and a channel with it) did work. Problem solved! Thanks, everyone.
Good news, but it's still a mystery why you weren't being allowed to comment from the old account.

Google account is needed. Then use your having Google account to create or setup your YouTube account and also a YouTube channel. When you try to sign into your YouTube account, you might be shown two choices. One radio button shows your gmail address and another radio button shows your channel or channels if you created more than one channel. I am not at all sure if that is what you need; try choose the radio button of your own desired channel. but once you are signed into your channel, you should be able to give a comment on someone's video.

I might try this just to check myself.

@pervect,
Upon checking, I am incorrect about what I said/guessed, and so someone else would hopefully give you better responses. One can be signed in using either their gmail address on youtube OR their channel name on youtube, and either way should be able to make a comment.

symbolipoint said:
Google account is needed. Then use your having Google account to create or setup your YouTube account and also a YouTube channel.
I think that's right. . .

1611134623696.png

1. Why am I unable to comment on YouTube videos?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that the video's owner has disabled comments for that particular video. Another reason could be that your account has been flagged for violating YouTube's community guidelines, which restricts your ability to comment on videos.

2. Can I still comment if I am not signed into my YouTube account?

No, you need to be signed into your YouTube account in order to comment on videos. If you do not have a YouTube account, you can create one for free.

3. Why do I see a message saying "Comments are disabled" on a video?

This means that the video's owner has chosen to disable comments for that particular video. This could be due to various reasons, such as receiving too many negative or spam comments.

4. How can I enable comments on my own YouTube videos?

If you are the owner of the video, you can enable comments by going to your video's settings and selecting the option to allow comments. Keep in mind that you can also choose to approve comments before they are visible on your video.

5. Is there a way to report inappropriate comments on YouTube videos?

Yes, you can report a comment by clicking on the three dots next to the comment and selecting "Report." You can also flag a comment as spam or block a user from commenting on your videos.