Surviving the Heat: Tips for Staying Cool and Safe

• Thread starter hypatia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, the conversation discusses the extreme heat wave that is currently happening, with temperatures reaching over 40 degrees Celsius. Some people are looking forward to winter and escaping the heat, while others are trying to find ways to cope with it. The effects of the heat, such as respiratory problems, are also mentioned. The conversation ends with a mention of someone living in a cooler area and wishing they could share the relief with those suffering in the heat.
hypatia
:devil: {Drum roll}

It's so hot that it makes me want to take off my skin, and sit in my bones...

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't wait for winter. This weekend it's been all over 40 Celsius... today it rained so it was like a sauna outside. Not very pleasant. The first day was nice I went bike riding to the lake... but it didn't go away... I think it's getting to my head.

It's about as hot as the hottest days of summer usually get around here. Maybe 5 degrees hotter, but it's really no big deal. This happens every year.

Maybe I'm not suffering so much after spending the last few days in rivers and lakes in New Hampshire though.

Lol, 40 is only a few degrees hotter than the hottest days around here. If we just look at it in Celsius :-p. I think that's almost 110 Farenheit.

Yeah, that's pretty hot. It's "only" 100 here, but it hits the mid to upper 90s for a few days most summers so it's not all that unexpected.

110 is pretty brutal though. Good luck with that.

It's so hot that I can't wait to get in my non-air conditioned black truck tomorrow and drive 150 miles. :frown:

At least there's a cool creek to sit in when I arrive.

http://home.europa.com/%7Egarry/DSCN2220.jpg"

Ooo! Hypatia. You should run up to Porcupine. That looks very inviting

http://bbs.sfw.com.cn/viewthread.php?action=printable&tid=23214"

Last edited by a moderator:
My sympathies to those in the heat wave.

OmCheeto said:
It's so hot that I can't wait to get in my non-air conditioned black truck tomorrow and drive 150 miles. :frown:

At least there's a cool creek to sit in when I arrive.

http://home.europa.com/%7Egarry/DSCN2220.jpg"

Ooo! Hypatia. You should run up to Porcupine. That looks very inviting

http://bbs.sfw.com.cn/viewthread.php?action=printable&tid=23214"

Om, I will be at the OCF Friday, where do you hang out?

It's so hot that the bird of paradise flew up Ed McMahon's nose. I never did get Johnny Carson's humor.

hot? only mid-90s here. and 70% humidity. which is pretty par for the course in alabama. at least we're not in a drought, anymore, so it's kind of hard to complain.

Back in April, you could not have convinced me that traveling 500 miles south would involve cooler weather

Jimmy Snyder said:
It's so hot that the bird of paradise flew up Ed McMahon's nose. I never did get Johnny Carson's humor.
Then you've never seen Sis, Boom, Bah

I saw this the night it aired, I thought I would split a gut.

Watch this clip, the best starts at 4:24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlLmS54qn-I

62 degrees and cloudy outside. And it was raining in the morning. RAINING ... IN JULY ... What's next? The dead rising from the grave? Dogs and cats living together?

P.S. oh, and we just had a yet another magnitude 5.4 less than a hundred miles away.

Last edited:
We are headed into yet again another 95+ deg day with oppressive humidity. I don't care much if the meteorologists get to call this a "heat wave" or not - the weather is dangerous, especially if you have respiratory or circulatory problems.

turbo-1 said:
We are headed into yet again another 95+ deg day with oppressive humidity. I don't care much if the meteorologists get to call this a "heat wave" or not - the weather is dangerous, especially if you have respiratory or circulatory problems.
It's only bad for people with respiratory problems if there is air stagnation. That was often a problem in Houston since the city was in a hole created by years of pumping water out of the underground lake beneath it. Heat will obviously cause peripheral swelling.

Last edited:
Its so hot, the Earth is heating the sun.

The other day the thermostat hit 43C in Beijing. :frown:

Integral said:
Om, I will be at the OCF Friday, where do you hang out?

Main stage and outside the Ritz. (Check your PM's!)
Tomorrow we will be at the http://eugeneareaparks.com/park.php?id=82" at Triangle Lake's Creek Falls Fish Ladder, stayin' cool.

:cool:

hypatia said:
:devil: {Drum roll}

It's so hot that it makes me want to take off my skin, and sit in my bones...

Where do you live?

Seriously, I just went to San Diego 2 weeks ago to study at UCSD for the summer and it's like winter right now... so cold I need to wear sweaters to school. :eek:

Evo said:
It's only bad for people with respiratory problems if there is air stagnation. That was often a problem in Houston since the city was in a hole created by years of pumping water out of the underground lake beneath it. Heat will obviously cause peripheral swelling.
Here, the respiratory problems are exacerbated by the elevated ozone levels thanks to our "friends" in the midwest sending coal-fired emissions our way. No state as large as Maine with such a small population could possibly have high ozone alerts all summer without up-wind polluters.

wrongusername said:
Where do you live?

Seriously, I just went to San Diego 2 weeks ago to study at UCSD for the summer and it's like winter right now... so cold I need to wear sweaters to school. :eek:

Hypatia lives in the big "Heat Hazard" zone on the right by the big lake, I'm in the one on the left. Hence, I'll be sitting in a creek all day tomorrow.

Hypatia will probably still be sitting in her bones. :frown:

Tomorrows forecast:

heat_hazard_2010_07_08.jpg

http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/graphical/sectors/conus.php#tabs"

It's still cool and foggy here in my part of Los Angeles. Unusual for us, but I am not complaining.

Wish I could send some chillows to you hotties.

It's so hot I did NOT ride the bike the last two days -- serious endorphin withdrawal going on.

[PLAIN]http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2010/7/7/634141196657525020-Today.jpg

Yes Borg, it was!

hypatia said:
Yes Borg, it was!

And, of course our air conditioning stopped working today too. :rolleyes: The repairman was just out here two months ago to recharge the system. Hopefully they will be here tomorrow as promised.

It's so hot here in D.C., the politicians are jumping in the Tidal Pool. (Remember the Argentine Firecracker?)

Evo said:
I cannot take extremes, hot or cold.

This explains your divorce...?

OmCheeto said:
Hypatia lives in the big "Heat Hazard" zone on the right by the big lake...
I spent 13 years living about 10 km south and 30 east of her, which explains my °40 comfort zone. I only wish that I had met her back then.

OmCheeto said:
Hypatia will probably still be sitting in her bones. :frown:
Hypatia in her bones is still more beautiful than most women in their skin. :-p

It was cold outside, but the temperature rised significantly when I went out, as I'm so hot I affect the average temperature of the local area.

TubbaBlubba said:
It was cold outside, but the temperature rised significantly when I went out, as I'm so hot I affect the average temperature of the local area.

Damn it, Greg! We need a smiley that denotes one trying to stifle a laugh to the point of exploding.

But that was neither funny, nor well-written.

TubbaBlubba said:
But that was neither funny, nor well-written.

Oh, pshaw... it was funny...

I can handle extreme hot/cold weather, the only thing I can't stand is humidity! It feels just URGH

drizzle said:
I can handle extreme hot/cold weather, the only thing I can't stand is humidity! It feels just URGH
That's what he have had all this week. High relative humidity. You can sweat, but it doesn't do any good. Breathing that mud is strenuous and unproductive, and if you have asthma, COPD, emphysema etc, it is worse.