Surviving Freshman Hunt: Tips from a Junior Friend

• Thread starter Piscuit
  • Start date
In summary, as a freshman, it is important to prioritize academics while still making time for social activities. This can be achieved by setting aside dedicated study time, avoiding procrastination, and finding a balance between social events and self-care. To make friends and find your community in college, get involved in extracurricular activities and clubs. Effective time management is crucial for success, which can be achieved by using a planner, breaking down tasks, and seeking help when needed. Homesickness is normal, but staying connected with loved ones and getting involved in campus activities can help cope with it. To avoid burnout, take breaks, practice self-care, and set realistic goals. Do not hesitate to ask for support from friends, family, or campus
Piscuit
I feel like I'm way over my head on this forum site, normally I just watch many a scientific documentary and am considered by most of my friends to be quite the expert. Help? Please?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you are wanting to introduce yourself, so I am moving your post to our General Discussion forum.

Welcome!

Well I watch a lot of scientific documentaries, generally about the universe, alternate dimensions, quantum physics, etc.

Piscuit said:
Well I watch a lot of scientific documentaries, generally about the universe, alternate dimensions, quantum physics, etc.

Welcome to PF, Piscuit! I think you'll like it here.

Thanks for being so friendly, this forum can be quite an intimidating place.

Oh don't let anything intimidate you. We are all very friendly, but watch out for Evo and the fish, lol.

Welcome to PF. I'm glad to see more new people join! :biggrin:

Well, I guess I'll see you all out there on some open threads.

Evo has fish? Why did I not know about this?

Better question, how could you not know? Let's just say, it could feel weird...very weird.

If Evo asks if you like fish, pick a very small species. Guppies are popular among the cogniscenti.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see my cat, Dr Foofer, was here last night! :biggrin:

Welcome Piscuit! What is your favorite fish?

turbo-1 said:
If Evo asks if you like fish, pick a very small species. Guppies are popular among the cogniscenti.

But you might be OK with some very, very, very large fish as well and a guppie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forums Piscuit!

If you're a glutton for punishment or believe pain builds character, pick a big fish. :biggrin:

Dr Foofer said:
Evo has fish? Why did I not know about this?

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for accepting me into this immense society of people who at least appear quite intelligent.

Piscuit said:
Thanks for accepting me into this immense society of people who at least appear quite intelligent.

:smile:

That's very funny, Piscuit. I think you'll fit right in here :smile:.

Thank you, but I myself am not so sure, I'm only 13 you see.

Piscuit said:

That's OK, we have a lot of young people here!

Well that's good.

Piscuit said:

you are only 13?

Yeah, why?

Piscuit said:
Yeah, why?

because it says on your profile that you like fixing your car. Would that be your family car or do you have your own car at 13?
I was in Montana. It's really beautiful there. Your lucky to live there don't you think?

I love living here, I get to go skiing every weekend, its practically out my back door. And no, I have my own car, it doesn't run yet but my dad is buying the parts I need and I install them. Currently, we are waiting for a good deal on dual weber carburetors.

Piscuit said:
I love living here, I get to go skiing every weekend, its practically out my back door. And no, I have my own car, it doesn't run yet but my dad is buying the parts I need and I install them. Currently, we are waiting for a good deal on dual weber carburetors.
What kind of car Piscuit?

Brand: Alfa Romeo
Model: 1978 spider
color: primer gray

For those of you who are not familiar with the brand Alfa Romeo, it is the precursor to Ferrari. One of the two original engineers with that brand was Enzo Ferrari, who later went on to start the brand Ferrari.

Piscuit said:
Brand: Alfa Romeo
Model: 1978 spider
color: primer gray
Oh wow, that's awesome. I'd relate an old tv episode where the main character bought an Alfa Romeo Spider, but it wouldn't mean anything, so, nevermind.

On Waynes World two the red sports car he finds in that alley is an Alfa Romeo spider.

You ARE very lucky. Won't tell how old I was getting my first car. And even then it was too early. Second time out I got stuck between two parking posts. Guess I should have gotten a license first.
What fields of science do you like best?

um, well, I enjoy electrical engineering and circuits, mechanical engineering, physics, quantum mechanics, its really a very broad spectrum. What about you?

Piscuit said:

You'll be fine. I joined when I was 13 as well (which was just over a year ago) :biggrin:.

Nice.

An Alfa Spider! *Is jealous*

It doesn't run, it needs a battery, new fuel tank, and carburetors.

Piscuit said:
um, well, I enjoy electrical engineering and circuits, mechanical engineering, physics, quantum mechanics, its really a very broad spectrum. What about you?

Like you, I am interested in a lot of things. I guess I have the most questions for Astrophysics.