Helping my daughter study for a Trig test....

In summary: As for the other problems:1. There is no solution for this, as arcsin(2) is undefined since 2 is not in the range of the sine function.2. The exact value is $\frac{\pi}{4}$, as cos(7pi/4)=cos(pi/4). 3. The exact value is $\frac{9\sqrt{77}}{77}$, as csc(arccos(2/9))=csc(arcsin(sqrt(77)/9)). 4. The solutions are x=pi/4, 3pi/4, 5pi/4, and 7pi/4.
ok782
My daughter is a Sophmore in high school and is taking Calculus with a current focus on Trig. I am trying to help her study but this stuff is way over my head...but I am trying! Can anyone help me with this? Here are a few of her study problems that we cannot figure out. Can you help me to solve but also explain how so we can learn? Thank you so much!Solve the following triangle and find it's area. Round all sides and all angles to the nearest tenth.
B =72 degrees, a=10, c=7Find the exact values for the following without using a calculator:

1 - Sin(Arcsin2)
2 - Arc cos(cos 7pi/4)
3 - csc(arc cos 2/9)
4 - tan(arc sin 3/7)Solve the following trigonometric equation for the domain 0 <= x <2pi

1- 2sin^2 x=0Thank you so much to anyone who has the chance to look this over. The test is tomorrow, so hopefully someone will see this today!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For the first problem, to get the unknown side $b$, we can use the Law of Cosines as follows:

\(\displaystyle b=\sqrt{a^2+c^2-2ac\cos\left(72^{\circ}\right)}\)

Then, to get the two unknown angles $A$ and $C$, we can use the Law of Sines as follows:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sin(A)}{a}=\frac{\sin(B)}{b}\implies A=\arcsin\left(\frac{a\sin(B)}{b}\right)\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sin(C)}{c}=\frac{\sin(B)}{b}\implies C=\arcsin\left(\frac{c\sin(B)}{b}\right)\)

Actually, once you get one of the unknown angles, you can use the fact that the sum of all 3 interior angles must be $180^{\circ}$ to get the remaining unknown angle.

And finally to get the area $Z$, we can use the following formula:

\(\displaystyle Z=\frac{1}{2}ac\sin(B)\)

ok782 said:
Find the exact values for the following without using a calculator:

1 - Sin(Arcsin2)
2 - Arc cos(cos 7pi/4)
3 - csc(arc cos 2/9)
4 - tan(arc sin 3/7)Solve the following trigonometric equation for the domain 0 <= x <2pi

1- 2sin^2 x=0Thank you so much to anyone who has the chance to look this over. The test is tomorrow, so hopefully someone will see this today!

Some hints for the first lot here:

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} -1 \leq \sin{(x)} \leq 1 , \, -1 \leq \cos{(x)} \leq 1 \end{align*}$

The inverse trigonometric functions are defined over the following regions:

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} -\frac{\pi}{2} \leq \arcsin{(x)} \leq \frac{\pi}{2}, \, 0 \leq \arccos{(x)} \leq \pi , \, -\frac{\pi}{2} \leq \tan{(x)} \leq \frac{\pi}{2} \end{align*}$

I would be inclined to think that the first does not exist, as $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \arcsin{(2)} \end{align*}$ is saying there is an angle such that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sin{\left( \theta \right) } = 2 \end{align*}$, which is impossible.

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \cos{ \left( \frac{7\,\pi}{4} \right) } &= \cos{ \left( 2\,\pi - \frac{\pi}{4} \right) } \\ &= \cos{ \left( \frac{\pi}{4} \right) } \end{align*}$

and since $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 0 \leq \arccos{ (x) } \leq \pi \end{align*}$, that would have to mean

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \arccos{ \left[ \cos{ \left( \frac{7\,\pi}{4} \right) } \right] } &= \arccos{ \left[ \cos{ \left( \frac{\pi}{4} \right) } \right] } \\ &= \frac{\pi}{4} \end{align*}$

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \arccos{ \left( \frac{2}{9} \right) } \end{align*}$ is in the first quadrant (can you see why?)

Drawing up a right angle triangle with an angle $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \theta \end{align*}$ having adjacent side 2 units and hypotenuse 9 units, by Pythagoras the opposite side must be $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sqrt{77} \end{align*}$ units, therefore $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \arccos{ \left( \frac{2}{9} \right) } = \arcsin{ \left( \frac{\sqrt{77}}{9} \right) } \end{align*}$. So

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \csc{ \left[ \arccos{ \left( \frac{2}{9} \right) } \right] } &= \csc{ \left[ \arcsin{ \left( \frac{\sqrt{77}}{9} \right) } \right] } \\ &= \frac{1}{\sin{ \left[ \arcsin{ \left( \frac{\sqrt{77}}{9} \right) } \right] }} \\ &= \frac{1}{\frac{\sqrt{77}}{9}} \\ &= \frac{9}{\sqrt{77}} \\ &= \frac{9\,\sqrt{77}}{77} \end{align*}$

Do you think your daughter could follow a similar process for question 4?

- - - Updated - - -

ok782 said:
1- 2sin^2 x=0

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} 1 - 2\sin^2{(x)} &= 0 \\ 2\sin^2{(x)} &= 1 \\ \sin^2{(x)} &= \frac{1}{2} \\ \sin{(x)} &= \pm \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \\ x &= \left\{ \frac{\pi}{4} , \, \frac{3\,\pi}{4} , \, \frac{5\,\pi}{4} , \, \frac{7\,\pi}{4} \right\} + 2\,\pi\,n \textrm{ where }n \in \mathbf{Z} \\ x &= \left\{ \frac{\pi}{4}, \, \frac{3\,\pi}{4}, \, \frac{5\,\pi}{4} , \, \frac{7\,\pi}{4} \right\} \textrm{ as } 0 \leq x \leq 2\,\pi \end{align*}$

MarkFL said:
For the first problem, to get the unknown side $b$, we can use the Law of Cosines as follows:

\(\displaystyle b=\sqrt{a^2+c^2-2ac\cos\left(72^{\circ}\right)}\)

And finally to get the area $Z$, we can use the following formula:

\(\displaystyle Z=\frac{1}{2}ac\sin(B)\)
This is correct, but also note that \(\displaystyle Z=\frac{1}{4}\sqrt{4a^2b^2-(a^2+b^2-c^2)^2}\).

1. How can I help my daughter study for a Trig test?

There are a few ways you can help your daughter study for a Trig test. First, make sure she has all the necessary materials, including her notes, textbook, and any study guides or practice problems. Then, you can quiz her on key concepts or have her teach the material back to you. Additionally, you can create flashcards or study games to make studying more engaging. Encouraging her to attend any review sessions or seek help from her teacher can also be beneficial.

2. What are some effective study strategies for Trig?

Some effective study strategies for Trig include practicing with different types of problems, breaking down complex concepts into smaller parts, and using visual aids such as graphs and diagrams. It can also be helpful to create study guides or cheat sheets with key formulas and concepts. Additionally, taking breaks and getting enough rest can improve retention and concentration.

3. How can I motivate my daughter to study for her Trig test?

Motivating your daughter to study for her Trig test can be challenging, but there are a few things you can try. First, help her understand the importance of the test and how it relates to her overall academic goals. You can also offer rewards for completing study sessions or achieving certain grades. Additionally, try to make studying more enjoyable by incorporating games or study groups with her peers.

4. What are some common mistakes students make when studying for a Trig test?

One common mistake students make when studying for a Trig test is focusing too much on memorization rather than understanding the concepts. It's important to practice solving problems and applying formulas rather than just trying to remember them. Another mistake is not giving yourself enough time to study, so make sure your daughter starts studying well in advance. Lastly, not seeking help or clarification on difficult concepts can also hinder studying success.

5. What can I do to help my daughter manage test anxiety for her Trig test?

Test anxiety is a common issue for many students, but there are ways to help manage it. Encourage your daughter to practice relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing or positive self-talk, before and during the test. Help her create a study schedule so she feels prepared and organized. Remind her to focus on her own progress and not compare herself to others. Lastly, make sure she gets a good night's sleep and eats a healthy breakfast on the day of the test.