Suggestions for Schools to Apply to (Engineering)

In summary: Personally, I would tell schools that I got a 165 on the LSAT. It's a very tough test and it shows that I have what it takes to succeed in an engineering program.
mcdowellmg
I am making a list of all the schools I am applying to for spring 2012 tomorrow. So far, I have Colorado School of Mines, UC-Boulder, UT-Austin, Washington-Seattle. I am looking to live out west, preferably near/in a progressive city (I'm a vegan and want grocery store/farmers market options!). California would be great, but with the state budget being what it is, that is probably out of the question.

I am returning to school for another bachelor's degree (have a BA in English), and I have/will have taken Calc 1-3, Calc-based Physics 1 & 2, Discrete Math, Java, and Chemistry. I am looking at Petroleum Engineering, Geophysical Engineering, and Computer/Electrical Engineering. Also, I have a 3.0 GPA overall, and a 3.5 in math/science courses.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Make that CU-Boulder, not UC-Boulder! I added Oregon State (a top-ranked Nuclear Engineering program, which I am also interested in) and Texas Tech to the list today. Also included is my home-state school of NC State University.
Any other thoughts?

Maybe Texas A&M? It's not a 'progressive' city, but really, most of the people there are college kids and professors. I'm sure there are vegans among them. It's also got one of the best petroleum engineering programs in the country.

A vegan wanting to be a petroleum engineer... well, there's a first for everything I guess :)

The only thing is, could I get into A&M?! Their Petroleum and Nuclear programs are the best in the country and I am worried about my meager 3.0 GPA (although like I said, I have a 3.5 in science/math since graduating originally). I also have several years of professional work experience, am 25 (non-traditional) and have a pretty intense life experience to write about for my personal statement. Maybe I will send an application in just to see.

I got into A&M's aerospace engineering program (also one of the best in the country) in its first round of acceptance letters with a 3.7 total, and 3.5ish in math/science. Personally, I think you'd get in pretty easily. Also, you'll probably want to ask your math/science profs for letters of recommendation, if you did well in their class. I had two when I applied.

It should be noted that I also was a non-traditional student, since I was homeschooled and didn't have a high school record. You have a college degree under your belt. You might want to make sure the schools you apply to will even accept a person seeking a second bachelor though.

That's reassuring. A lot of schools won't accept me because of my previous degree, but I know for sure that Mines and Boulder will. UT and UWash are hesitant (probably b/c of the size of their student bodies), and I will have to check into A&M. Good luck there; it seems like a great place for engineers.

I think I will also throw an application toward Georgia Tech. I know that they are highly ranked, but they require a 3.0 GPA of non-Georgia residents and say that admissions are favorable if you have that and have taken the required courses (which I have). They have quite a few programs, but I am not sure what they specialize in. They also take people who already have a bachelors.

It seems thus far that maybe that getting into an engineering school via transfer isn't the hardest part, but that they might weed you out if you actually get there?One more thing: I got a 165 (90th%) on the LSAT. Should I tell schools that? Does it look good because it is a tough standardized test/test of logic, or does it make me look flakey (I ended up deciding law school wasn't for me.)?

Last edited:
I read somewhere, sometime, (from an entirely unreliable source, i should add), that undergraduate admissions committees "rarely" (this is a word I vividly remember being used) admit students with bachelors to earn second bachelors. Is there any merit to this statement?

I don't mean focus on a cynical aspect here, but if it turns out that it IS true, you may want to revise your personal statement to the university.

I am no PR agent, but if it were me, I would focus on what I was doing in industry, why I am not doing it anymore, and why I want to go back to school (why not grad school?). That sort of thing.

So, does anyone know if this is true, to some degree?

(For both my personal curiosity, as well as the OP's benefit)

Well, it's helpful that my previous degree is in a totally different field (English). Of the schools I have listed, they all take second degree students if their major is on a different path.

Related to Suggestions for Schools to Apply to (Engineering)

1. What factors should I consider when choosing engineering schools to apply to?

When considering engineering schools, it is important to look at the program's accreditation, reputation, curriculum, and location. Accreditation ensures that the program meets certain quality standards, while reputation and curriculum can give insight into the program's strengths and focus. Location can also play a role in finding internships and job opportunities.

2. How many engineering schools should I apply to?

The number of engineering schools you should apply to depends on your individual goals and preferences. It is recommended to apply to at least 3-5 schools to increase your chances of acceptance. Additionally, consider applying to a mix of reach, target, and safety schools to have a well-rounded list of options.

3. Is it better to attend a prestigious engineering school or a school with a strong engineering program?

Both options have their advantages. Attending a prestigious engineering school can provide access to top-notch resources and networking opportunities. However, a school with a strong engineering program may still offer a quality education and opportunities for hands-on experience. Ultimately, it is important to choose a school that aligns with your academic and career goals.

4. Can I apply to engineering schools without a strong background in math and science?

While a strong background in math and science is typically preferred for engineering programs, it is not always a requirement. Many schools offer introductory courses to help students build a foundation in these subjects. Additionally, some schools may consider other factors such as your passion for engineering and relevant extracurricular activities.

5. How important are standardized test scores for engineering school admissions?

Standardized test scores, such as the SAT or ACT, are often considered in the admissions process for engineering schools. However, they are not the only factor. Many schools also consider your high school GPA, extracurricular activities, essays, and letters of recommendation. It is important to check the specific requirements for each school you are interested in to understand the weight given to test scores.