Substitution method with Integration by Parts?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of substitution method and integration by parts to evaluate the integral of x^3[e^(-x^2)]dx. The person initially attempted to use integration by parts but found it to be more complicated, so they switched to substitution method. After some calculations, they arrived at the solution of 1/2[-x^2e^(-x^2)-e^(-x^2)] and verified its correctness.
csinger1
Substitution method with Integration by Parts?

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral...
∫x^3[e^(-x^2)]dx

Homework Equations

∫udv=uv-∫vdu

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried using integration by parts setting u and dv equal to anything and everything. This seemed to make it more complicated so I decided to use the substitution method setting y=-x^2 and dy=-2xdx and finally -1/2dy=xdx to give me
1/2∫ye^ydy
From here i used integration by parts with u=y, du=dy, v=e^y and dv=e^y dy to get
1/2(ye^y-∫e^y dy) = 1/2(ye^y-e^y)
and then
1/2[-x^2e^(-x^2)-e^(-x^2)]
This problem got really confusing with all the variables and I just want to make sure that I'm not way off base with my methods and solution.
Thanks in advance for any input!

Physics news on Phys.org

csinger1 said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral...
∫x^3[e^(-x^2)]dx

Homework Equations

∫udv=uv-∫vdu

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried using integration by parts setting u and dv equal to anything and everything. This seemed to make it more complicated so I decided to use the substitution method setting y=-x^2 and dy=-2xdx and finally -1/2dy=xdx to give me
1/2∫ye^ydy
From here i used integration by parts with u=y, du=dy, v=e^y and dv=e^y dy to get
1/2(ye^y-∫e^y dy) = 1/2(ye^y-e^y)
and then
1/2[-x^2e^(-x^2)-e^(-x^2)]
This problem got really confusing with all the variables and I just want to make sure that I'm not way off base with my methods and solution.
Thanks in advance for any input!

Looks right to me.

That's a relief! I spent a loooonnnggg time working this problem. Thanks!

Once you have gotten an antiderivative, it's a good practice to check it by differentiating it. If your work is correct, the derivative of your answer should be the original integrand.

Related to Substitution method with Integration by Parts?

1. How does the substitution method work in integration by parts?

The substitution method in integration by parts involves substituting a part of the integral with a new variable, known as the u-substitution. This helps simplify the integral and make it easier to integrate by using the integration by parts formula.

2. When should the substitution method be used in integration by parts?

The substitution method should be used in integration by parts when the original integral involves a product of two functions, one of which can be substituted with a simpler function using the u-substitution. This can help reduce the complexity of the integral and make it easier to solve.

3. What is the difference between the substitution method and integration by parts?

The substitution method and integration by parts are two different techniques used to solve integrals. The substitution method involves substituting a part of the integral with a new variable, while integration by parts involves splitting the integral into two parts and using a specific formula to solve it.

4. Can the substitution method be used for all integrals?

No, the substitution method is not suitable for all integrals. It is most effective when the integral involves a product of two functions, one of which can be substituted with a simpler function using the u-substitution. For other types of integrals, different techniques may be more appropriate.

5. What are the common mistakes when using the substitution method in integration by parts?

One common mistake when using the substitution method is not choosing the correct substitution, which can lead to a more complicated integral. Another mistake is forgetting to substitute back the original variable after solving the integral, which can result in an incorrect solution.