Stator inlet angle in turbomachine?

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a stator in relation to the inlet and outlet angles, the conservation of mass, and the difference between a stator and a rotor. The stator is responsible for redirecting the flow in a different direction, resulting in a negative or reverse flow. The conservation of mass dictates that the areas of the inlet and outlet must be the same, and in a rotor, the reaction degree would be 0 as the flow is accelerated in the same direction as the rotation of the blades.
Nick1
Hello,

I am wondering about the following action in a stator:

If the inlet angle in a stator is B, and the outlet angle is -B, what exactly is happening? Axial vlocity should be constant, and so should the relative velocities except being mirrored and i am asuming infinitely thin blades.. Can i somehow know how the corss sections of the inlet and outlet to the stator relate to each other?

My thought is that since it is a stator, all static properties are the same therefore the density will be the same. And since the axial velocity and mass flow are the same, the area should also be the same, meaning A0/A1 = 1. Am i thinkng correctly?

If this was a rotor, would it be correct to say that the reaction degree is 0?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello,

Great question! In a stator, the inlet and outlet angles are typically measured relative to the axial direction, which is the direction of flow. So, if the inlet angle is B and the outlet angle is -B, this means that the flow is being turned in the opposite direction by the stator. This is known as a negative or reverse flow.

In terms of the cross sections of the inlet and outlet, they are related by the conservation of mass. As you mentioned, the density and mass flow are the same, so the areas must also be the same. This means that the ratio of the areas, A0/A1, will be equal to 1 as you stated.

If this was a rotor, the reaction degree would indeed be 0. This is because in a rotor, the flow is being accelerated in the same direction as the rotation of the blades. In contrast, a stator is designed to slow down the flow and redirect it in a different direction.

I hope this helps clarify things! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Related to Stator inlet angle in turbomachine?

1. What is the purpose of stator inlet angle in turbomachines?

The stator inlet angle in turbomachines is used to control the flow of air or fluid into the turbine. It is an important design parameter that affects the performance and efficiency of the turbomachine.

2. How is the stator inlet angle determined?

The stator inlet angle is determined through computational fluid dynamics simulations and experimental testing. It is also influenced by the design objectives and constraints of the specific turbomachine.

3. What are the effects of stator inlet angle on the performance of a turbomachine?

The stator inlet angle affects the angle of attack of the incoming fluid, which in turn affects the efficiency and pressure ratio of the turbomachine. An optimal stator inlet angle can improve the performance and reduce losses.

4. Can the stator inlet angle be adjusted during operation?

In some cases, the stator inlet angle can be adjusted during operation to optimize the performance of the turbomachine. This is typically done through variable stator vanes or other mechanisms.

5. How does the stator inlet angle differ from the rotor inlet angle in a turbomachine?

The stator inlet angle is the angle of the incoming fluid relative to the stator blades, while the rotor inlet angle is the angle of the incoming fluid relative to the rotor blades. They both play a crucial role in the operation and performance of a turbomachine.