How can I calculate the vacuum pressure in Y-junction?

In summary, the person is trying to solve a problem with a computer but is not satisfied with the results.
cajamarcus
Hi, even though it seems so simple; I can't solve this since a few days and it's driving me crazy.

2j0jyvr.png

Flow gets inside the tube from point 1, it will create a vacuum, which will let a secondary flow inlet from point 2. Both flows will mix inside the tube, and get out of the junction from point 3. All the point ends are open to the ambient (so, the atmospheric pressure). The question is, what will be the static and dynamic pressures, as well as flow velocities in points 1, 2, and 3?

My basic assumption is to use Bernoulli equation and Continuity and Conservation of Mass. I am having trouble in using Bernoulli I guess.

in: Inlet
out: Outlet
P: Pressure
rho: Density
g: Gravitational acceleration
h: Height

Bernoulli Equation: P_static+P_dynamic+P_potential must be constant
Considering the fluid is water (incompressible), density will be constant.
Pin+1/2*rho*vin2+rho*g*hin=Pout+1/2*rho*vout2+rho*g*hout

considering that both the points are at the same elevation, we can ignore the potential pressure.
Pin+1/2*rho*vin2=Pout+1/2*rho*vout2

Most probably, my mistake comes at this point. Since there are 2 openings in inlet side, how should I integrate the pressures of point 1 and 2?

m: Mass flow rate
A: Crossectional area of the pipes
v: fluid velocities inside the pipes

Continuity and Conservation of Mass:
Considering the diameters of all 3 points are the same, areas are also same.
m1+m2=m3
A*rho*v1 + A*rho*v2=A*rho*v3
v1+v2=v3

My assumptions are most probably wrong. Please correct me and help to find the right equations.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
While I can't answer your question, you may be interested in the discussion of the problem I was having with a Y adaptor.
See
Please explain curious behavior with my rainwater barrel

Likes OmCheeto
DannySmythe said:
While I can't answer your question, you may be interested in the discussion of the problem I was having with a Y adaptor.
See

I was thinking the same thing.
But, I wouldn't hold your breath on a solution to this new "y" problem.
After almost two weeks, the following thread does not seem to be nearing a consensus: Mythbusters: Blow your own sail

I suspect the solution to that one also involves entrainment. Though, I'm not willing to do the experiment to prove or disprove it. Hence, why I haven't joined that discussion.

But this "y" problem looks like it can be solved empirically.
I may build a contraption, to test this.
But not this weekend, as I have appointments, with the river.

Empirical Evidence: A Definition
by Kim Ann Zimmermann | July 07, 2012 10:38am ET
Actually, thinking about it, I have all the necessary apparatuses to solve both problems.
Solving two problems with one experiment is always worthwhile. :smile:

[edit] A direct link to the
thread.

I am glad that some people are interested. I tried to solve it by a CFD software; but I am not satisfied with the results. I've got either a wrong result, or a result that I don't have any idea how it comes, where it comes.
Actually, I am just learning CFD, so don't trust my results on it. If anyone know those software good, it would be an easier alternative to experiment. Experimental or Empirical; any help is appreciated :)

Related to How can I calculate the vacuum pressure in Y-junction?

1. How is vacuum pressure defined?

Vacuum pressure is defined as the difference between the atmospheric pressure and the pressure within a closed space, expressed in units of pressure (such as millibars or pascals).

2. What is the formula for calculating vacuum pressure in a Y-junction?

The formula for calculating vacuum pressure in a Y-junction is P = Patm - (ρgh1 + ρgh2), where P is the vacuum pressure, Patm is the atmospheric pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h1 and h2 are the heights of the fluid columns on either side of the Y-junction.

3. How do I determine the height of the fluid columns in a Y-junction?

The height of the fluid columns in a Y-junction can be determined by measuring the distance from the fluid level to the top of the Y-junction on both sides. Make sure to measure from the same reference point, such as the bottom of the junction.

4. Can vacuum pressure in a Y-junction be negative?

Yes, vacuum pressure in a Y-junction can be negative. This indicates that the pressure within the junction is lower than the atmospheric pressure, which is often the case in vacuum systems.

5. How can I convert vacuum pressure from one unit to another?

To convert vacuum pressure from one unit to another, you can use conversion factors or online conversion calculators. Some common units for vacuum pressure include torr, millibars, and pascals. Make sure to check the units and conversions carefully to ensure accurate results.