Axial Flow Turbine Design Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a turbo machinery problem involving an axial flow gas turbine stage. The specific work done by the gas is being calculated using the Euler work equation and the thermodynamic relations between stagnation enthalpy and pressure. The total-to-static efficiency must also be taken into account. The steady flow energy equation can be used to relate the specific work and the change in stagnation enthalpy.
Master1022
Homework Statement
A design of an axial flow gas turbine stage is conducted for the following parameters at the mean radius:
Stage inlet stagnation conditions: ## p_{01} ## = 4 bar, ## T_{01} ## = 900 K
Flow angle at stator exit = 65 degrees
Stage reaction = 0.5
Flow coefficient = ##C_x ⁄ U ## = 0.6
Static pressure at stage exit: ##p_3## = 2
Total-to-static efficiency: ##\eta_{ts} ## = 0.85
Assuming the constant axial velocity across the stage, and air as working fluid (##c_p## = 1005 J/kgK, ##R## = 287 J/kgK), determine:
i) the specific work done by the gas,
ii) the blade speed,
iii) the static temperature at the stage exit.
Relevant Equations
Euler work equation
Hi,

I was attempting the following turbo machinery problem and am getting quite stuck on the first part of the question. The question is:

A design of an axial flow gas turbine stage is conducted for the following parameters at the mean radius:
Stage inlet stagnation conditions: ## p_{01} ## = 4 bar, ## T_{01} ## = 900 K
Flow angle at stator exit = 65 degrees
Stage reaction = 0.5
Flow coefficient = ##\phi = C_x ⁄ U ## = 0.6
Static pressure at stage exit: ##p_3## = 2
Total-to-static efficiency: ##\eta_{ts} ## = 0.85
Assuming the constant axial velocity across the stage, and air as working fluid (##c_p## = 1005 J/kgK, ##R## = 287 J/kgK), determine:
i) the specific work done by the gas,
ii) the blade speed,
iii) the static temperature at the stage exit.

Attempt:

(i) the specific work done by the gas

I am not sure how to make progress in this area. From looking at the data given in the question, I am trying to extract the useful information and draw the following velocity triangles:

Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 1.56.52 PM.png

From there, we are told that the axial velocity is constant across the stage and can thus write:
[tex] V_2 cos(65) = R_3 cos(65) = V_x \rightarrow V_2 = R_3 = V_x = 0.6 U [/tex]
Substituting this into equation (1) from the picture (bottom of page), which is the magnitude of the change of the whirl velocity then turns it into:
[tex] |\Delta c_{\theta}| = 0.6Usin(65) - U + 0.6Usin(65) [/tex]
[tex] |\Delta c_{\theta}| = U(1.2sin(65) - 1) [/tex]
Thus from the Euler work equation:
[tex] \frac{P}{\dot m} = \Delta U c_{\theta} = U^2 (1.2sin(65) - 1) [/tex]

However, I think this will only be useful for the second part of the question...

Returning back to trying to find the work, I was thinking that perhaps I could go down the route of:
1. Use relation between stagnation enthalpy and stagnation pressure to get ## \Delta h_0 ## and incorporate the total to static efficiency ##\eta_{ts} ##
2. Using SFEE to relate specific work and change in stagnation enthalpy

So this method would start with the thermodynamic relation: ## T_0 ds = dh_0 - dp_0 / \rho ##. We can calculate the change for the isentropic case first, thus ## ds = 0##, which yields the equation:
[tex] dh_0 = dp_0 / \rho \rightarrow \rho \Delta h_0 = \Delta p_0 [/tex]
However, this makes the assumption that the density is constant which perhaps isn't correct to assume... Then we could assume that the stagnation pressure across the stator such that ## p_{01} = p_{02} ## = 4 bar. Then perhaps I can use:
[tex] p_{01} - p_{02} = (p_1 - p_2) + \frac{1}{2}(v_{2} ^2 - v_{1} ^ 2) [/tex]

I am not really sure if I am missing out a formula or concept that would help me here. Any guidance would be really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It seems like you have made some good progress in your attempt to solve this problem. Let's take a closer look at some of the steps you have taken so far.

(i) The specific work done by the gas
You have correctly identified that the Euler work equation is useful for finding the specific work done by the gas. However, you are right in thinking that this may only be useful for the second part of the question. To find the specific work done by the gas, you will need to use the thermodynamic relations you mentioned. Let's take a closer look at those.

1. Use relation between stagnation enthalpy and stagnation pressure to get ## \Delta h_0 ## and incorporate the total to static efficiency ##\eta_{ts} ##
You are on the right track with using the relation between stagnation enthalpy and stagnation pressure. However, you also need to consider the total-to-static efficiency in your calculations. This efficiency accounts for the energy losses in the turbine stage and will affect the specific work done by the gas. You can use the following equation to incorporate the efficiency into your calculations:

W = Δh0 * ηts

Where W is the specific work done by the gas, Δh0 is the change in stagnation enthalpy, and ηts is the total-to-static efficiency.

2. Using SFEE to relate specific work and change in stagnation enthalpy
You can also use the steady flow energy equation (SFEE) to relate the specific work and the change in stagnation enthalpy. The SFEE is given by:

h01 + (c1^2/2) = h02 + (c2^2/2) + W

Where h01 and h02 are the stagnation enthalpies at the inlet and outlet of the turbine stage, c1 and c2 are the velocities at the inlet and outlet, and W is the specific work done by the gas. You can rearrange this equation to solve for W.

Overall, your approach is correct, but you may need to consider the effects of the total-to-static efficiency and use the SFEE to relate the specific work and the change in stagnation enthalpy. I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

1. What is an axial flow turbine?

An axial flow turbine is a type of turbine that is designed to convert fluid energy into mechanical energy. It consists of a rotor with blades that rotate as fluid flows through them, causing the rotor to spin and generate power.

2. How does an axial flow turbine work?

An axial flow turbine works by using the kinetic energy of a fluid (such as water, steam, or air) to spin a rotor with blades. The fluid enters the turbine at the center and flows through the blades, causing them to rotate. This rotation is then used to power a generator or other mechanical device.

3. What factors are important in axial flow turbine design?

Some important factors in axial flow turbine design include the fluid properties (such as density and viscosity), the flow rate, the turbine blade shape and size, and the rotational speed. It is also important to consider the efficiency and durability of the turbine.

4. How is efficiency measured in axial flow turbines?

The efficiency of an axial flow turbine is typically measured by the power output divided by the power input. This is known as the overall efficiency. There are also other measures of efficiency, such as the hydraulic efficiency which takes into account the fluid properties and the mechanical efficiency which considers losses due to friction and other factors.

5. What are some common applications of axial flow turbines?

Axial flow turbines are commonly used in power generation, such as in hydroelectric dams and wind turbines. They are also used in aircraft engines, marine propulsion systems, and various industrial processes that require fluid power. Additionally, axial flow turbines are being explored for use in renewable energy sources such as tidal and wave power.