'Star Trek' icon Leonard Nimoy dies at age 83

In summary, Leonard Nimoy was an excellent actor who was a fan favorite for his roles in Star Trek and Mission Impossible. He will be deeply missed.
Physics news on Phys.org
R.I.P. Few actors so capture their audience's imagination.

I remember LONG before his sci-fic stuff, he was a terrifically entertaining member of the cast of the original Mission Impossible TV series. An excellently entertaining actor.

phinds said:
I remember LONG before his sci-fic stuff, he was a terrifically entertaining member of the cast of the original Mission Impossible TV series. An excellently entertaining actor.
Nimoy starred in Mission Impossible from 1969 to 1971, which was after Star Trek (1966-1969).

RIP, Leonard.

D H said:
Nimoy starred in Mission Impossible from 1969 to 1971, which was after Star Trek (1966-1969).
I'll be darned. I was sure it was the other way 'round. Senior moment I guess

phinds said:
I'll be darned. I was sure it was the other way 'round.
Highly illogical.

RIP

Likes davenn
R.I.P. Mr Spock.

I was just going through his credits at IMDb.
Wow.
His first movie role, at the age of 20, was in 1951: Queen for a Day (I remember the TV show, but did not know they had made a movie)
The oldest role I've seen him in was from 1961: Twilight Zone (TV Series), A Quality of Mercy (I just finished watching the entire series a few weeks ago)

Lots of fun older pictures of him from around the net.

This one appears to be from the '58-'60 series "Sea Hunt".

goth.nimoy.jpg

Goth, before goth was cool.​

:bow:

Likes Drakkith
I have been, and always shall be, a fan...

Likes Borg and OmCheeto
Spock as he was meant to be.

Likes jedishrfu
robphy said:
Nimoy was also the narrator for "In Search Of..." (1977-1982)
I'd forgotten about that. He was an excellent narrator, and particularly fitting for that show.

Both alien legends moved back to their worlds in the same year. Live long and na-nu na-nu. Get a check-up A.L.F.!

Leonard Nimoy also made guest appearances on Fringe.

Last edited:
I have been a long time fan of Star Trek in its various incarnations, and Spock was always my favourite character, and Nimoy had brought him so vividly to life. He will be dearly missed. My condolences to his family.

RIP. You have certainly lived long and prospered!

What a loss.

But he lived to 83, and left quite a legacy.

Live long and prosper.

Peace be upon him.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Back when I was a child, I was always in a hurry for home from school to watch his movie. Now he left...
Spock I'm going to miss you, forever.

Goodbye Mr. Spock. Thank you for everything. :bow:

Likes Silicon Waffle
jedishrfu said:
Leonard Nimoy also made guest appearances on Fringe.

Loved him in that show. Time to re-watch some of the episodes on NetFlix

Likes Silicon Waffle
MeTV remembers Leonard Nimoy with special programming this weekend. From the 'Star Trek' episode "Amok Time," in which Spock travels to Vulcan to perform his native mating ritual, to Nimoy's appearances on such shows as 'Bonanza,' 'Rawhide,' 'The Twilight Zone' and more ...

http://metvnetwork.com/leonard-nimoy

Likes Silicon Waffle
when I was a kid this was my intro to the boston Omni science museum.

Leonard Nimoy Laid to Rest
https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb-news/leonard-nimoy-laid-to-rest-190734080.html

Rabbi John L. Rosove, who is also the first cousin to Nimoy's wife, Susan, provided a eulogy in which he talked about the actor's love for his other half:

Leonard shared with me after he and Susan married 26 years ago that he had never met a woman like her, never had he loved anyone so dearly and passionately, that she’d saved his life and lifted him from darkness and unhappiness in ways he never thought possible. His love, appreciation, respect, and gratitude for her transformed him and enabled him to begin his life anew.

Rosove also told several stories of their time together, honored the star's contributions to his various communities, and recalled his visits to the Soviet Union in the 1980s and to Germany. "Kind-hearted, gentle, patient, refined, and keenly intelligent was he," Rosove said. (You can read the full eulogy here.)

It was always fun seeing the love/hate relationship between Spock and McCoy :)

shuttle and star trek cast.jpg

Likes OmCheeto
Wonder what Shatner had to say about it. He and Nimoy weren't on good terms for most of their lives I think.

he didn't attend his funeral.

I prefer Empire Spock to regular Spock:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_EbJiPU8AAuZmT.png​

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes CalcNerd
nsaspook said:

This is actually a great idea by Canada. They are getting collectors to help fund Canada if they are removed from circulation and into collections. Admittedly it won't be a massive amount of funding, but it is almost guaranteed that 1/4 of these $5 notes will be collected and taken out of circulation.

CalcNerd said:
This is actually a great idea by Canada. They are getting collectors to help fund Canada if they are removed from circulation and into collections. Admittedly it won't be a massive amount of funding, but it is almost guaranteed that 1/4 of these $5 notes will be collected and taken out of circulation.

That's pretty funny. This morning, I was thinking, before you even posted this, that Canada should be printing these on $100 & $50 banknotes, for exactly the same reason.

I once paid $250 for George Takei's autograph, and I'm not even a Trekkie.