British Actor Kenny Baker, Known for R2-D2 Role, Dies at 81 - CNN

In summary, British actor Kenny Baker, known for his role as R2-D2 in the "Star Wars" films, has passed away at the age of 81. He had been ill for years with a lung condition and died in his sleep Saturday morning. Baker's wish was to go peacefully, and his contribution to the Star Wars franchise will always be remembered.
RooksAndBooks
Gold Member
http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/13/entertainment/actor-kenny-baker-dies/

(CNN) — Kenny Baker, the British actor who gave life to the droid R2-D2 in the "Star Wars" films, has died at the age of 81, according to his niece, Abigail Shield.

Baker was being looked after by Shield's brother, who found him Saturday morning. Shield said Baker was ill for years with a lung condition.

She also said her uncle -- who was 3 feet, 8 inches tall -- did not expect to "live past his teenage years because he was a 'little person,' so it is pretty amazing he lived this long."

Baker died in his sleep Saturday morning, according to his nephew and caregiver Andrew Myerscough.

That was Baker's wish -- to go peacefully, his nephew said. "I couldn't ask for more."

R2-D2 was perhaps my favorite droid in the Star Wars universe. R2-D2 appeared in every Star Wars movie.

RIP, Kenny Baker.

Physics news on Phys.org
That basketball killed him, I know it!

Your contribution to the Star Wars franchise will never be forgotten. You brought so much life and personality to R2-D2 and it's amazing to hear that he was your favorite droid as well. Thank you for sharing your talent with the world and may you rest in peace.

1. Who was Kenny Baker?

Kenny Baker was a British actor best known for his role as R2-D2 in the Star Wars franchise.

2. How old was Kenny Baker when he died?

Kenny Baker was 81 years old at the time of his death.

3. What other roles did Kenny Baker play?

In addition to his iconic role as R2-D2, Kenny Baker also appeared in several other films such as Time Bandits, Flash Gordon, and Labyrinth.

4. When did Kenny Baker first appear as R2-D2?

Kenny Baker first appeared as R2-D2 in the original Star Wars film, released in 1977.

5. How did Kenny Baker die?

Kenny Baker died of a long-standing illness on August 13, 2016.

Back