Spring, resonance frequency and a bit of fun

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential disintegration of Józsi's car on the Hungarian national highway M7 due to its lowered suspension and the small gaps between concrete blocks. The formula for resonance frequency is mentioned and used to calculate the speed at which the car would disintegrate. After some back and forth and correction of equations, it is determined that the car would need to be traveling at a very high speed (around 80 km/h) in order for disintegration to occur. The conversation also touches on the forgetfulness of high school physics and the use of resonance frequency as a teaching tool.
magwas

Homework Statement

The Hungarian national highway M7 is made of concrete blocks 4m long. The joints have a small gap.
Józsi have a mass of 80 kg.
He owns a Polski Fiat, which is lowered by 10 cm when he sits in.

At what speed would Józsi's car disintegrate?

Homework Equations

v = l/t
F = -k*dx
F = m*a
g = 9.81 kg*m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I remember I have solved it once (maybe with other numbers), but the road got some asphalt coating since.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have never heard of a car disintegrating on the highway, but then again I have never driven a Polski Fiat. You need to find the resonant frequency of the car, but for that I think that you will need the mass of the car in addition to Józsi's mass.

hooke's law:
[tex]F = - dy k[/tex]
resonance frequency:
[tex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex]

solve hooke's law for k and substitue gravitational force of Józsi

[tex]k = - \frac{g m_{j}}{dy}[/tex]

substituing k for the resonance frequency

[tex]\omega = \sqrt{- \frac{g m_{j}}{dy m}}[/tex]

m here is the combined mass of Józsi and the car:

[tex]\omega = \sqrt{- \frac{g m_{j}}{dy \left(m_{c} + m_{j}\right)}}[/tex]

substituing the given numbers and 800 kg for the car:
[tex]\omega = 2.98633250295104 \ \ \frac{1}{s} [/tex]

now [tex] v = l \omega = 11.9453300118042 \frac{m}{s} = 43.003188042495 \frac{km}{h}[/tex]

If you would have driven on M7 at that time, you would not be surprised when your car disintegrated :)

One slight problem. The speed should be v/T where T is the period, i.e. the time elapsed from bump to bump. How is ω related to T?

I would think [tex]\omega=\frac{1}{T}[/tex]. Each bumps should reach the car at the same phase to increase the amplitude, I guess.

magwas said:
I would think [tex]\omega=\frac{1}{T}[/tex]. Each bumps should reach the car at the same phase to increase the amplitude, I guess.

[tex]\omega=\frac{2\pi}{T}[/tex]

ehild

I see. [tex] \omega [/tex] is the angular velocity, given in [tex] \frac{rad}{s} [/tex], and not the frequency.
So [tex]v = l \frac{\omega}{2\pi} = 1.9 \frac{m}{s} = 6.8 \frac{km}{h}[/tex]

That speed is a bit low for a car to disintegrate, but you know M7 and the Polski Fiat (and what they can do to each other) better than I.

magwas said:
m here is the combined mass of Józsi and the car:

[tex]\omega = \sqrt{- \frac{g m_{j}}{dy \left(m_{c} + m_{j}\right)}}[/tex]

This is where the problem is

If m is the combined mass supported by the spring equivalent of the car when the car is loaded, then

[tex]k=\frac{mg}{dy}[/tex]
[tex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}=\sqrt{\frac{g}{dy}}[/tex]

Well, our teacher back then have given numbers which lead to some 80 km/s, presumably dy has been very different, and the mass of the car a bit (I have looked it up, 905 kg is given by manufacturer).
I always thought of it as a funny example which raises the spirit in the classroom, making understanding resonance frequency easier. Now it also serves an example of how much one can forget about high school physics if it isn't used:)
Tried to come up with a dy to get 80 km/h. I got something around 0.6 mm.

dy is the displacement of the car as Józsi sits in, so I believe that one should use only mass of Józsi in the numerator. However to find the resonance frequency of the whole system, one should use the combined mass, which is in the denominator.

magwas said:
dy is the displacement of the car as Józsi sits in, so I believe that one should use only mass of Józsi in the numerator. However to find the resonance frequency of the whole system, one should use the combined mass, which is in the denominator.

You are correct, of course. I don't know what I was thinking.

magwas said:
At what speed would Józsi's car disintegrate?

:bugeye:

I guess what they say about Hungarians is true...

ideasrule said:
:bugeye:

I guess what they say about Hungarians is true...

I am curious. What do they say?

Related to Spring, resonance frequency and a bit of fun

1. What is spring and how does it work?

Spring is an elastic object that stores mechanical energy when it is stretched or compressed. It works by exerting a restorative force that is proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position.

2. What is resonance frequency?

Resonance frequency is the natural frequency at which an object vibrates when it is disturbed. It is determined by the physical characteristics of the object, such as its size, shape, and material.

3. How is resonance frequency related to spring?

When a spring is attached to an object, it can act as a vibration absorber and change the object's natural frequency. This is because the spring's oscillation frequency is directly proportional to its stiffness and inversely proportional to its mass.

4. Can resonance frequency be harmful?

Yes, resonance frequency can be harmful in certain situations. For example, if a structure or object is exposed to a frequency that matches its resonance frequency, it can cause excessive vibrations and potentially lead to structural damage.

5. Can we use resonance frequency for entertainment purposes?

Absolutely! Many musical instruments, such as guitars and violins, use resonance frequency to produce sound. Additionally, activities like singing into a wine glass or playing with singing bowls demonstrate the fun and entertaining side of resonance frequency.