Calculating Amplitude and Acceleration in Harmonic Motion - Physics Homework

You can do it!Check my post above. Two equations, two unknowns. Enter what you know and solve. You can do it!Oh okey, thanks, so i should substitute t with 1.4 in the first equation and then solve for A and then substitute both A and t in the second equation and solve for w?Oh okey, thanks, so i should substitute t with 1.4 in the first equation and then solve for A and then substitute both A and t in the second equation and solve for w?Yes, that's exactly right!Yes, that's exactly right!In summary, the conversation discusses finding the amplitude and acceleration of a weight attached to a spring in harmonic motion. The frequency
johan146

Homework Statement

A spring holds a weight of 800 g. The spring is set in a harmonious swing. The frequency f for the oscillation is 1.4 Hz. When the weight is 5 cm above the equilibrium position on the way upwards, a velocity of 1.1 m / s is noted
a) Determine the amplitude of the movement.
b) What is the acceleration when the weight is 2 cm above the equilibrium?

Homework Equations

Y=A⋅sinωt
f = 1/T
MV^2/2 + kY^2/2=kA^2/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I first attempted to calculate the amplitude of the movement by using the first equation but since i didn't have the time of the spring i crossed over that calculation, i latet tried using the 2 later equations together but i never managed to get a resonable result from my calculation

The English in the question might be a bit wrong, not my mother tongue so i had to translate the question from Swedish so bare with me :)
Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
johan146 said:
frequency f for the oscillation is 1.4 Hz ... f = 1/T

johan146 said:
but since i didn't have the time of the swing
What does this say about the period (time of the swing)?

By now you may have solved your problem but if not...
consider 0.5 = Asin(wt) and 1.1 = wAcos(wt)

barryj said:
By now you may have solved your problem but if not...
consider 0.5 = Asin(wt) and 1.1 = wAcos(wt)
Does t in these equations equal the period T?

johan146 said:
Does t in these equations equal the period T?
No, ##t## is the time elapsed. ##w## is the angular frequency, which does relate to the period by ##w=2\pi/T##.

NFuller said:
No, ##t## is the time elapsed. ##w## is the angular frequency, which does relate to the period by ##w=2\pi/T##.
Oh okey, but how to you find out what t is in this case? I assume that the velocity is not constant so we can't use S = Vt

Check my post above. Two equations, two unknowns. Enter what you know and solve.

Likes johan146

Related to Calculating Amplitude and Acceleration in Harmonic Motion - Physics Homework

1. What is harmonic motion?

Harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the displacement of an object from its equilibrium position is directly proportional to the force acting on it.

2. How do you calculate amplitude in harmonic motion?

The amplitude of harmonic motion is the maximum displacement of an object from its equilibrium position. It can be calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the object in one complete cycle by 2.

3. What is the formula for calculating acceleration in harmonic motion?

The formula for calculating acceleration in harmonic motion is a = -ω²x, where a is the acceleration, ω is the angular frequency, and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

4. How is angular frequency related to period in harmonic motion?

The angular frequency (ω) and period (T) of harmonic motion are inversely proportional. This means that as the angular frequency increases, the period decreases and vice versa. The formula for this relationship is ω = 2π/T.

5. Is there a difference between simple harmonic motion and harmonic motion?

Yes, there is a difference. Simple harmonic motion refers to a specific type of harmonic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. Harmonic motion, on the other hand, is a broader term that includes all types of periodic motion with a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement.