Frequency of oscillation for a hanging mass on a spring?

In summary, the frequency of oscillation for a 0.54 kg mass hanging from a spring with k= 75 Nm and displaced 3 cm vertically is 1.9 Hz. The initial displacement does not affect the frequency of oscillation as long as Hooke's law applies.
subopolois

Homework Statement

0.54 kg mass hang vertically from a spring with k= 75 Nm. If the mass is displaced 3 cm vertically and allowed to oscillate, what is the frequency of oscillation?

Homework Equations

T= 2(pi) ((sqrt)(m/K))
F= 1/T

The Attempt at a Solution

T= 2(pi) ((sqrt)(0.54/75))
= 0.5331
F= 1/0.5331
= 1.9 Hz
Now I know I didnt use the displacement, but where would I use it? This was a multiple choice question, and 1.9 Hz is an option... I just don't know if its right

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any reason the initial displacement would affect the frequency of oscillation. Do you?

Thats kinda what I am asking...
if the displacement were greater or smaller of the mass, would it change the frequency of oscillation? And if it does, how?

Larger displacement mean larger force, larger acceleration and, finally, the same time. For this reason called 'harmonic'.

subopolois said:
Thats kinda what I am asking...
if the displacement were greater or smaller of the mass, would it change the frequency of oscillation? And if it does, how?
No, unless Hooke's law were to no longer apply at large displacements, in which case you'd have a nonlinear problem on your hands and believe me you want nothing to do with that.

Related to Frequency of oscillation for a hanging mass on a spring?

1. What is frequency of oscillation?

Frequency of oscillation refers to the number of oscillations or cycles of a wave that occur per unit time. It is measured in units of Hertz (Hz) or cycles per second.

2. How is frequency of oscillation related to wavelength?

Frequency and wavelength are inversely related. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation f = c/λ, where f is frequency, c is the speed of light, and λ is wavelength.

3. What factors affect the frequency of oscillation?

The frequency of oscillation can be affected by factors such as the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling, external forces acting on the system, and the characteristics of the oscillating object.

4. How is frequency of oscillation different from amplitude?

While frequency refers to the number of oscillations per unit time, amplitude refers to the maximum displacement of the wave from its equilibrium position. In other words, frequency describes the rate of oscillation, while amplitude describes the size or intensity of the oscillations.

5. How is frequency of oscillation used in practical applications?

Frequency of oscillation is used in various practical applications, such as in radio and television broadcasting, where different frequencies are used to transmit different channels. It is also important in fields such as acoustics, optics, and electromagnetism, where different frequencies are associated with different types of waves and their behaviors.