Frequency of damped mass-spring system

In summary, if the constant b has the value 0.894kg/s, the frequency of oscillation of the mouse will be 0.452 rad/s.
Adel A
[Mentor's note: Thread title changed to reflect question content]

I really need some help with this one:

1. Homework Statement

An unhappy rodent of mass 0.307kg , moving on the end of a spring with force constant 2.48N/m , is acted on by a damping force Fx=−b⋅vx.

Part A
If the constant b has the value 0.894kg/s , what is the frequency of oscillation of the mouse?

Part B
For what value of the constant b will the motion be critically damped?

Homework Equations

F = -kx
F = mg
f = 1/T = ω/2π

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A:
Fx = -bvx = -0.894⋅vx
-kx = F => m⋅a = -k⋅x, and I put the numbers in and got:
0.307⋅9.81 = -2.48⋅x => x = -1.214 m

ω = sqrt(k/m), and I put the numbers in and got: ω = 0.452 rad/s

Then I tried to calculate vx by:

vx⋅(-0.894)=3.0117 => vx = -3.369 m/s

I don't know what to do. Thankful for all help I can get!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess the rodent is hanging from the ceiling (attached to the spring which has its other end attached to the ceiling). How far above or below equilibrium position does it start?

Also, the solutions for v(x) and F(x) are not going to be numbers (since they change with time).

Finally, if multiple forces are acting on an object F = F1 + F2 + F3. You have the gravitational force, the force from the spring and the damping force all acting on the rodent at the same time. I recommend drawing the system with all forces. It may make things easier.

I would start of with drawing a free body diagram, then you should be able to set up a differentialequation describing the motion of the mass.
Depending on the value of the constant b, you will be able to get different soultions to this equation, descirbing different kinds of damping. :)

Related to Frequency of damped mass-spring system

What is a damped mass-spring system?

A damped mass-spring system is a physical phenomenon that occurs when a mass is attached to a spring and subjected to a damping force, which causes the system to lose energy and eventually come to rest.

How does damping affect the frequency of a mass-spring system?

Damping affects the frequency of a mass-spring system by reducing the amplitude of the oscillations and increasing the time it takes for the system to come to rest. This results in a lower frequency compared to an undamped system.

What factors affect the frequency of a damped mass-spring system?

The frequency of a damped mass-spring system is affected by the mass, stiffness of the spring, and the damping coefficient. A higher mass or stiffness will result in a lower frequency, while a higher damping coefficient will result in a lower frequency.

How is the frequency of a damped mass-spring system calculated?

The frequency of a damped mass-spring system can be calculated using the equation: f = (1/2π)√(k/m), where f is the frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the system.

What are some real-life applications of a damped mass-spring system?

Damped mass-spring systems are commonly used in shock absorbers for vehicles, earthquake-resistant buildings, and musical instruments such as pianos and guitar strings. They are also used in seismometers to measure ground vibrations during earthquakes.