Solving this system of equations in different ways

In summary, When finding the values of "a" for the solution of a system to be (i) just an ordered pair, we can find that a≤ -2 or a>0. For (ii) exactly two pairs, a=0. For (iii) exactly 3, we have -2<a<0. And for (iv), there is no solution where there are more than 3 pairs as an answer.
help
TL;DR Summary
system of equations, circumference and parable
Good night!
How do I find the values of a (real) so that the solution of this system is?
Sistema.jpg

(i) just an ordered pair?
(ii) exactly two pairs.
(iii) exactly 3?
(iv) is there a place where you have more than 3 pairs as an answer?So...
I thought like this: I developed the first part. I solved the system and found x²-ax-a-1 = 0

(i) I made the delta zero by finding a = -2. Point (-1.0)
(ii) I thought about doing a = 0 getting x = + - 1 finding the points (-1,0) and (1,0).

item iii. Making the drawing it is possible to verify -1<a<0 that but I don't know why.

I also know that there is no way but I don't know how to prove it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
For (i) there are more solutions. Consider what happens e.g. for a=2. Yes, ##x^2 - 2x - 3 = 0## has more than one solution - but does that lead to more than one intersection of the curves?

(ii) looks good.

(iii) did you draw a sketch? You have a circle and a hyperbola with two sides. Clearly (-1,0) is always a solution, to get three solutions you need the other part of the hyperbola intersect the circle in two more points. What does that mean for the position of the hyperbola where y=0? There are also more solutions here that you didn't find.

Ultimately all real values of "a" should be in one of the answers. If your ranges together don't cover all real values then you missed something.

hello, thanks for answering

i) a -1 or a>0 * a=-1asymptote

ii) a=0

iii)-1<a<0

iv) does not existI can see it by looking at the graph, but how can I prove it algebraically?

a=-1 has more than one solution. So does the range between -1 and -2.

Looking at the graph tells you which kind of solution to look for and which ranges to look at, you can then study these algebraically.

ok
i) a -2 or a>0
when we calculate delta = 0, find a = -2 as the tangency point. But I saw through the graph that the system will have only one ordered pair as a solution for <= - 2 or a> 0

ii) a=0

iii)-2<a<0

iv) does not exist

solving the system we find x²-ax-a-1=0

∆ = (-a)² - 4.1.(- a - 1) = a² + 4.a + 4 = (a + 2)² --->

√∆ = |a + 2 |

How to interpret?

We find roots
-1 and a+1 to a>-2 e

a+1 and -1 to a<-2

how to write?

to a>-2

a=0 2-point intersection

a>0 1-point intersection

-2<a<0 3-point intersection
and to a<-2

1-point intersection

Looks good.

Related to Solving this system of equations in different ways

What is the purpose of solving a system of equations in different ways?

The purpose of solving a system of equations in different ways is to find the most efficient and accurate method for obtaining a solution. By using different techniques, we can also gain a deeper understanding of the relationships between the variables in the system.

What are the different methods for solving a system of equations?

The most common methods for solving a system of equations are substitution, elimination, and graphing. Other methods include matrices, Cramer's rule, and Gaussian elimination.

How do I know which method to use when solving a system of equations?

The method used for solving a system of equations depends on the specific equations and variables involved. Some methods may be more efficient for certain types of equations, while others may be better suited for systems with a large number of variables. It is important to consider the strengths and limitations of each method before choosing one.

What are the benefits of solving a system of equations in multiple ways?

Solving a system of equations in different ways allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the problem and its solution. It also provides a way to check the accuracy of the solution and can help to identify any errors made during the solving process.

Can solving a system of equations in different ways result in different solutions?

Yes, it is possible for different methods to yield different solutions for a system of equations. This can occur when the equations are not linear or when there are errors made during the solving process. It is important to double-check the solutions obtained through different methods to ensure their accuracy.