Verifying that all solutions to a system of eq. are found

In summary, the given problem involves finding all ordered pairs (a, b) that satisfy a system of two equations. By using substitution and solving a quadratic equation, two ordered pairs are obtained: ##\displaystyle (\frac{6 + \sqrt{30}}{2},~6 - \sqrt{30})## and ##\displaystyle (\frac{6 - \sqrt{30}}{2},~6 + \sqrt{30})##. To prove that only two such ordered pairs exist, it can be shown that the equations imply a quadratic equation, which can have at most two solutions. This can also be argued geometrically by considering the intersection of a line and a hyperbola. Additionally, a set theoretic proof
Mr Davis 97
I am given the following problem: Find all ordered pairs (a, b) such that ##2a + b = 12## and ##ab = 3##. Given this system of equations, I simply use substitution, and then solve the quadratic ##2a^2 - 12a + 3 = 0##. Solving this, I obtain two ordered pairs: ##\displaystyle (\frac{6 + \sqrt{30}}{2},~6 - \sqrt{30})## and ##\displaystyle (\frac{6 - \sqrt{30}}{2},~6 + \sqrt{30})##. These are all of the ordered pairs that I found. The problem asks to find all of the ordered pairs that satisfy the system. How can I be absolutely sure (through some kind of informal logic) that only two such ordered pairs exist, and these two are those ordered pairs?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
I am given the following problem: Find all ordered pairs (a, b) such that ##2a + b = 12## and ##ab = 3##. Given this system of equations, I simply use substitution, and then solve the quadratic ##2a^2 - 12a + 3 = 0##. Solving this, I obtain two ordered pairs: ##\displaystyle (\frac{6 + \sqrt{30}}{2},~6 - \sqrt{30})## and ##\displaystyle (\frac{6 - \sqrt{30}}{2},~6 + \sqrt{30})##. These are all of the ordered pairs that I found. The problem asks to find all of the ordered pairs that satisfy the system. How can I be absolutely sure (through some kind of informal logic) that only two such ordered pairs exist, and these two are those ordered pairs?
You can rule out ##ab=0##, so you may substitute ##b=\frac{3}{a}## and multiply the equation by ##a## without changing the solutions.
Now you see, that the equation is of order ##2##, i.e. there cannot be more than ##2## solutions.
To verify that your solutions are valid, simply insert them into the original equations and see whether they satisfy them.

You could also argue geometrically. A line (eq.1) intersects a hyperbola (eq.2) in at most ##2## points.

Because you have deduced it. Assume ##(a,b)## is a par of real numbers satisfying your equations. this implies your quadratic equations. The quadratic equation only has two solutions. so the initial assumption implies ##a## is either of the two values you found. but as fresh pointed out, ##a## uniquely determines ##b##. So indeed there can only be two solutions.

Lucas SV said:
Because you have deduced it.
Ok, in this small example it might be correct, if the calculation steps are carefully described.
It is not true in general, however. A deduction is ##x \in A ⇒ x \in B##. It does not guarantee ##x \in B ⇒ x \in A##.
Therefore all deduction steps will have to be equivalence relations. Your wording "because you deduced it" often leads to errors.
There is a fundamental difference between a necessary condition and a sufficient condition!

fresh_42 said:
Ok, in this small example it might be correct, if the calculation steps are carefully described.
It is not true in general, however. A deduction is ##x \in A ⇒ x \in B##. It does not guarantee ##x \in B ⇒ x \in A##.
Therefore all deduction steps will have to be equivalence relations. Your wording "because you deduced it" often leads to errors.
There is a fundamental difference between a necessary condition and a sufficient condition!
Yes this is all true, that is why I put an explanation later, although maybe i didn't make myself clear that i was filling the steps. If you want a set theoretic proof, you can take ##A'## be the solutions of the quadratic equation and ##A## to be pairs of real numbers which solve the first equation. Then show ##\phi:A'\rightarrow A##, ##\phi(a)=(a,3/a)## is a set isomorphism. So ##A## and ##A'## must have the same number of elements, or cardinality if you like. Since we know ##A'## has two elements, so has ##A##.

The details of the proof come in computing ##A'## and in showing that ##\phi## is a well defined function, and is both injective and surjective.

Last edited:

Related to Verifying that all solutions to a system of eq. are found

What does it mean to verify all solutions to a system of equations?

Verifying all solutions to a system of equations means checking that all possible values of the variables in the equations satisfy the given system. This ensures that no solutions have been missed and that the system is complete.

How do you verify all solutions to a system of equations?

To verify all solutions to a system of equations, you can substitute the values of the variables in each equation and solve for the given system. Once all the solutions have been found, you can then check that they satisfy all the equations in the system.

What is the importance of verifying all solutions to a system of equations?

Verifying all solutions to a system of equations is important as it ensures the accuracy and completeness of the solution. It also helps to identify any errors or mistakes that may have been made during the solving process.

Can there be more than one solution to a system of equations?

Yes, a system of equations can have more than one solution. This is known as a consistent system, where the equations intersect at multiple points. Each point of intersection represents a valid solution to the system.

What happens if a solution is missed during the verification process?

If a solution is missed during the verification process, it means that the system is not complete and there may be more solutions that have not been found. It is important to double-check the solving process and make sure all solutions have been found to ensure the accuracy of the system.