Using an array to solve a system of equations

barryj
TL;DR Summary
I was given a problem to use an array, not a matrix, to solve a system of equations. I have not heard of doing this and can not find any reference to how to do it.
I was given a problem to use an array, not a matrix, to solve a system of equations. I have not heard of doing this and can not find any reference to how to do it.

like... 2x+3y = 12, and 3x-4y = 14 How is this solved using an array or grid?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I can't help. I know a lot about this subject, but I don't know what the difference is between an array and a matrix. They are the same thing to me. Maybe you need to ask for clarification from your instructor?

As an aside, I spent some time in my career as an EE working with other good EEs that were educated in other countries. They knew what they were doing, because you probably wouldn't be working for our company if you didn't. But we were often confused by the jargon each used and their approach to problems. What ALWAYS worked was to go back to the basic physics, then everyone was on the same page.

PS: I think they are referring to Cramer's Rule; OTOH, no, IDK either.

It may not be obvious but when you solve that problem with a matrix, you are also using vectors. The statement of the problem is ## \begin{bmatrix} 2 & 3\\ 3 & -4 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 12 \\ 14 \end{bmatrix}##. That might be what they are meaning.

barryj said:
I was given a problem to use an array, not a matrix
"Array" is more of a computer science term, where an ordinary array is a list, and a two-dimensional array corresponds to a matrix. AFAIK, "array" not so much a term used in mathematics.

Likes FactChecker
Does anybody ever use determinants to solve a system of linear equations?

gleem said:
Does anybody ever use determinants to solve a system of linear equations?
Yes. Cramer's rule, which is my first choice for simple systems. Especially if there are zeros in the matrix.

Also especially good if you only need the solution to one of the variables, which is never actually the case, in my experience.

Last edited:
Likes jasonRF
Obviously, if [itex]\mathbf{A}\mathbf{x}=\mathbf{y} [/itex] then [itex]\mathbf{x}=\mathbf{A}^{-1}\mathbf{y} [/itex] as long as [itex]\mathbf{A}^{-1} [/itex] exists. Usually, this just means that [itex]det(\mathbf{A})\neq 0 [/itex].

1. How can I use an array to solve a system of equations?

An array can be used to store the coefficients of the variables in the system of equations. By manipulating the array using mathematical operations, such as row operations, you can solve the system of equations.

2. What are the advantages of using an array to solve a system of equations?

Using an array allows for a systematic approach to solving the system of equations. It also simplifies the process of performing row operations and keeping track of the coefficients of the variables.

3. Can I use an array to solve systems of equations with more than two variables?

Yes, an array can be used to solve systems of equations with any number of variables. You simply need to create an array that can accommodate the coefficients of all the variables in the system.

4. Are there any limitations to using an array to solve a system of equations?

While using an array is a powerful method for solving systems of equations, it may become cumbersome for very large systems with a high number of variables. In such cases, other methods like matrix operations may be more efficient.

5. How do I know if my array solution is correct?

You can verify the correctness of your array solution by substituting the values of the variables back into the original equations and confirming that they satisfy all the equations simultaneously. Additionally, you can check your solution using methods like Gaussian elimination or matrix inversion.