Solving Riemann Sums for \int_0^{2\pi} x^{2}sin(x)\,dx | Homework Help

In summary, the conversation discusses expressing the integral \int_0^{2\pi} x^{2}sin(x)\,dx as a limit of Riemann sums, without evaluating the limit. The helper provides a link and explains that it is simpler than it may seem, and offers assistance in using the definition of a Riemann sum to solve the problem.
undrcvrbro

Homework Statement

Express the integral as a limit of Riemann sums. Do not evaluate the limit.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} x^{2}sin(x)\,dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to start...any help getting me started would be highly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
haha i saw that coming before I clicked the url.

but seriously just expressing any integral is probably much simpler than you are thinking, all you have to do is basically write down the definition of a Riemann sum here is a better link:

(first equation on page, just substitute your function in)
http://math.fullerton.edu/mathews/n2003/RiemannSumMod.html

Last edited by a moderator:
alright, seems like I was just over thinking. Thats what I figured. Thanks.

happy to help, good luck :smile:

Related to Solving Riemann Sums for \int_0^{2\pi} x^{2}sin(x)\,dx | Homework Help

1. What is a Simple Riemann Sum?

A Simple Riemann Sum is a method used in calculus to approximate the area under a curve on a graph. It involves dividing the area into smaller rectangles and summing their areas to get an estimate of the total area.

2. How do you calculate a Simple Riemann Sum?

To calculate a Simple Riemann Sum, you first divide the interval of the curve into smaller sub-intervals. Then, you choose a sample point within each sub-interval and calculate the area of the rectangle formed by that sample point and the height of the curve at that point. Finally, you add up the areas of all the rectangles to get the approximate area under the curve.

3. What is the purpose of using Simple Riemann Sums?

The purpose of using Simple Riemann Sums is to approximate the area under a curve when it is not possible to find the exact area using traditional methods. It is also useful for understanding the concept of integration in calculus.

4. What are some limitations of Simple Riemann Sums?

Some limitations of Simple Riemann Sums include its reliance on choosing appropriate sub-intervals and sample points, which can affect the accuracy of the approximation. It also only gives an estimate of the area and not the exact value.

5. How is a Simple Riemann Sum different from other methods of finding the area under a curve?

Simple Riemann Sums differ from other methods such as the Trapezoidal Rule and Simpson's Rule in that it uses rectangles to approximate the area, whereas the other methods use trapezoids and parabolas, respectively. Simple Riemann Sums also only use a single sample point within each sub-interval, while the other methods use multiple points to improve accuracy.