Solving Kinematics Problem: Dropped Object Distance & Height

In summary, the conversation is about a problem in the Kinematics chapter where an object is dropped and travels one-fourth of its distance in the last second of the fall. The initial motion equation is used to solve for time, but the process becomes confusing at a certain point. After some discussion and clarification, it is determined that the correct solution is (t - 1s) = ±t√(3/4).
mateomy
Reading a step-by-step problem in my Kinematics chapter; the problem states: "An object is dropped travels one-fourth its distance in the last second of the fall. What height was it dropped from?

They initially use the motion equation:

[tex]
x= x_0 + \frac{1}{2}at^2
[/tex]

(sans the v(Initial) because it is assumed it is dropped from rest)

I can follow that they have to at first solve for time "t" but they move on down the line of variable rearrangement and come to a certain spot where
I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA how they go from this...

[tex]
\frac{1}{4}t^2 = t^2 - (t - 1s)^2
[/tex]

to this...

[tex]
(t - 1s) = \pm \sqrt{\frac{3}{4}}
[/tex]

I understand that this might be sort of confusing with no real frame of reference within the problem. I was being to lazy to LaTex all of the steps. I can supply more if requested (ugh).
I've been ruminating over this for the last god-knows-how-long. Maybe I am just fried.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi mateomy! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

that should be (t - 1s) = ±t√(3/4) :smile:

Thank you so much, you have no idea how much time I wasted staring at this.

Related to Solving Kinematics Problem: Dropped Object Distance & Height

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How do you solve kinematics problems?

To solve a kinematics problem, you need to identify the given information, choose the appropriate equations to use, and plug in the known values to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What is the equation for distance travelled by a dropped object?

The equation for distance travelled by a dropped object is d = 1/2 * g * t^2, where d is the distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time.

4. How do you find the height of a dropped object using kinematics?

To find the height of a dropped object, you can use the equation h = 1/2 * g * t^2, where h is the height, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time it takes for the object to reach the ground.

5. Can kinematics be used to solve problems with objects thrown at an angle?

Yes, kinematics can be used to solve problems with objects thrown at an angle. In addition to the equations for distance and height, you would also need to use equations for velocity and angle of launch to fully solve the problem.