Find the Height of a Building by dropping a ball from the top

In summary, the conversation discusses a kinematics question involving a ball being dropped from a building on Earth and on a planet with no atmosphere. The problem is that there is not enough information given to solve the question, as it is unclear if air resistance should be taken into account. The teacher who made the question is criticized for being sloppy and not providing enough information. The conversation ends with a question about which answer would be chosen if the first two answers were eliminated.
Tesla In Person
Homework Statement
Find height of a building
Relevant Equations
s= ut + 1/2 at^2
v=u +at
Hi, I have this kinematics question I am struggling with. There is a building from which a ball is dropped and it takes 5 second to reach the ground. Then they say that the same building is on a planet w/o atmosphere where g= 6 m/s^2 . What is the height of the building ?

I approached this question like I approach every other projectile motion questions but the problem here is that I don't have enough information to solve this problem. For the ball being dropped on earth, we only have the time it takes to hit the ground , that's it. There is air resistance acting on the ball so acceleration won't be 10m/s^2. I get this equation for the first using the equation s= ut + 1/2 at^2 => s= 25/2 a . I am assuming the ball is dropped from rest in both cases.

For the second case, where the ball is dropped from the same building but in a planet w/o atmosphere I get using the same equation , s= 3t^2. Here we are given a=6 and because it has no atmosphere, there is no air resistance.

s is the same so I can get = > 25/2a = 3t^2 . Now it's cleat that we need more information, there are 2 variables in the equation and I can't think of any other equation.

Attachments

• physics q.PNG
    physics q.PNG
    8.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tesla In Person said:
Homework Statement:: Find height of a building
Relevant Equations:: s= ut + 1/2 at^2
v=u +at

There is air resistance acting on the ball so acceleration won't be 10m/s^2

You do not need more information, you only need to assume ball is dropped at rest (u=0 m/s) and air resistance is negligible (as is mentioned in the problem)
s= ut + 1/2 at^2 becomes
s = at^2/2

The teacher who made the question is sloppy. You can just from the numbers given eliminate the first two answers because they are with two significant digits.

Tesla In Person said:
I approached this question like I approach every other projectile motion questions but the problem here is that I don't have enough information to solve this problem.

How many projectile motion problems have you solved yet which involves taking air resistance into account?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla In Person said:
For the ball being dropped on earth
There is no ball being dropped on Earth in the problem. There is just a ball being dropped on a planet with g = 6 m/s^2 and no atmosphere.

• Love
  • Informative
Likes DrJohn, Tesla In Person and Delta2
We have to say the problem is not perfectly stated and it induces misinterpretation.

Likes Lnewqban, Tesla In Person and malawi_glenn
Delta2 said:
We have to say the problem is not perfectly stated and it induces misinterpretation.

The properties of the buildings environment should be given in the first sentance.

Likes Delta2
Delta2 said:
Not the first such problem and it won't be the last ...

Likes Delta2, Tesla In Person and jbriggs444
Thank you all for helping me out, I've wasted so much time on this question ...

Likes Delta2 and Lnewqban
malawi_glenn said:
The teacher who made the question is sloppy. You can just from the numbers given eliminate the first two answers because they are with two significant digits.
If you do that then which of the remaining answers would you choose?

1. How does dropping a ball from the top of a building help find its height?

Dropping a ball from the top of a building allows us to measure the time it takes for the ball to fall to the ground. By using the equation d = 1/2 * g * t^2, where d is the distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time, we can calculate the height of the building.

2. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s^2, which is the rate at which objects fall towards the Earth due to the force of gravity.

3. Can this method be used to find the height of any building?

Yes, this method can be used to find the height of any building as long as there is a clear path for the ball to fall and accurate measurements of time can be taken.

4. Are there any limitations to using this method?

There are a few limitations to using this method. The accuracy of the measurement depends on the precision of the timing device used and the effects of air resistance on the falling ball. Additionally, this method may not be suitable for very tall buildings where the ball may reach terminal velocity before hitting the ground.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when using this method?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the area where the ball will fall is clear of any people or objects. It is also recommended to use a lightweight and soft ball to minimize any potential danger. Additionally, it is important to follow all safety guidelines and obtain permission from the building owner before conducting this experiment.