Solving Definite Integral with Inverse Hyperbolic Identities

In summary, the conversation was about a problem involving integration with inverse hyperbolic identities. The person was looking for help in deriving the solution and received a few suggestions from others. They eventually solved the problem using a different method and thanked everyone for their help.
2^Oscar
Hey guys,

I was doing some practice questions and this particular one has me stumped. The topic was on integration with inverse hyperbolic identities, and I was asked to give exact solutions for the following integral:

[tex]\int\sqrt{4x^2 -1} dx[/tex] between [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{13}{10}[/tex]

From looking around on the internet I have found a standard integral that I can use (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_integrals_of_irrational_functions" ) but I would quite like to know the process of deriving this.

I have been fairly confident with these questions but I can see no way of using the basic inverse hyperbolic identities to reach this result and express the definite integral exactly.

Could anyone please lend a hand?

Thanks in advance,
Oscar

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, this is, after all, in a section about hyperbolic functions! I remember that [itex]cosh^2(x)- sinh^2(x)= 1[/itex] so that (dividing through by [itex]cosh^2(x)[/itex]) [itex]1- tanh^2(x)= sech^2(x)[/itex]. I would try the substitution [itex]2x= tanh(x)[/itex].

Write

[tex]x = \frac{1}{2} \cosh y[/tex]

Then

[tex]dx = \frac{1}{2} \sinh y dy[/tex]

The indefinite integral then becomes

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \int \sqrt{\cosh^2 y - 1} \sinh y dy [/tex]

You should then be able to find the indefinite integral of this if you use

[tex]\cosh^2 y - \sinh^2 y = 1[/tex]

and the definition of [tex]\sinh y[/tex]. After you do that, it's pretty easy to rewrite the answer in terms of x instead of y, and plug in the endpoints in terms of x.

Hey,

Thank you for your replies.

Solved the problem now :)

Thanks,
Oscar

Last edited:
Well, your integral is therefore:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{cosh^{-1}(\frac{13}{5})}sinh^{2}ydy[/tex]
We have the following anti-derivative:
[tex]\int\sinh^{2}{y}dy=\frac{1}{2}(\cosh(y)\sinh(y)-y)[/tex]
Using this, we get:
[tex]
\frac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{cosh^{-1}(\frac{13}{5})}sinh^{2}ydy=\frac{1}{4}(\frac{156}{25}-cosh^{-1}(\frac{13}{5})[/tex]

Since [tex]cosh^{-1}(x)=\ln(x+\sqrt{x^{2}-1})[/tex], the answer can be simplified to:
[tex]\frac{39}{25}-\frac{\ln(5)}{4}[/tex]

Last edited:
By the way, if you want to see WHY we have the indicated anti-derivative, then use the definition of sinh:

[tex]\int \sinh^2 y dy = \frac{1}{4} \int (e^y - e^{-y})^2 dy[/tex]

and work from there.

thank you again for the speedy replies :)

I got the same answer as you, arildno, however I did it using different method...

Oscar

Related to Solving Definite Integral with Inverse Hyperbolic Identities

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve, bounded by specific values on the x-axis. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and consists of an integrand (the function being integrated) and limits of integration (the values that determine the boundaries of the area).

2. How do you calculate a definite integral?

To calculate a definite integral, you first need to find the anti-derivative (or indefinite integral) of the integrand. Then, substitute the upper and lower limits of integration into the anti-derivative and subtract the result at the upper limit from the result at the lower limit.

3. What is the difference between a definite integral and an indefinite integral?

A definite integral calculates the area under a curve between specific limits, while an indefinite integral calculates the general anti-derivative of a function without any limits. In other words, a definite integral gives a numeric result, while an indefinite integral gives a function.

4. What is the significance of the definite integral in science?

The definite integral is used in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to calculate important quantities such as distance, velocity, and work. It is also used to solve real-world problems involving rates of change, such as population growth and chemical reactions.

5. Are there any techniques for solving definite integrals?

Yes, there are several techniques for solving definite integrals, including substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. These techniques can be applied depending on the complexity of the integrand and the limits of integration. Additionally, numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal rule and Simpson's rule, can be used to approximate the value of a definite integral.