Solving a Linear Equation with Initial Condition: $2xy'+y=6x$, $x>0$, $y(4)=20$

In summary, we discussed the steps to solving a linear ODE with constant coefficients and an initial value problem. We first recognized the standard linear form and then found the integrating factor. Using this, we were able to express the equation in a simpler form and solve for the general solution. Finally, we used the given initial condition to solve for the constant of integration and obtain the specific solution for the given problem.
ineedhelpnow
Hello (Nod)
Can someone help get me started on this problem? Like a setup or direct on how to set it up.

$2xy'+y=6x$, $x>0$, $y(4)=20$

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing I would do is express the ODE in the standard linear form:

\(\displaystyle \d{y}{x}+P(x)y=Q(x)\)

Next, you will want to calculate your integrating factor $\mu(x)$...:D

$y'+\frac{1}{2x}y=3$
$I(x)=e^{\int \ \frac{1}{2x}dx}=e^{\frac{\ln\left({2x}\right)}{2}}$
$e^{\frac{\ln\left({2x}\right)}{2}}*y'+\frac{y}{2x}*e^{\frac{\ln\left({2x}\right)}{2}}=3e^{\frac{\ln\left({2x}\right)}{2}}$
is that right?

I would simplify your integrating factor using the properties of exponents and logs:

\(\displaystyle a^{b\log_a(c)}=a^{\log_a\left(c^b\right)}=c^b\)

how do i use the y(4)=20?

ineedhelpnow said:
how do i use the y(4)=20?

You use that (the initial conditions) after you have obtained the general solution to the ODE, to solve for the constant of integration.

Another way to approach this equation is to recognize that it is Cauchy-Euler. The substitution $x=e^{u}$ makes it linear with constant coefficients.

ineedhelpnow said:
$y'+\frac{1}{2x}y=3$
$I(x)=e^{\int \ \frac{1}{2x}dx}=e^{\frac{\ln\left({2x}\right)}{2}}$
$e^{\frac{\ln\left({2x}\right)}{2}}*y'+\frac{y}{2x}*e^{\frac{\ln\left({2x}\right)}{2}}=3e^{\frac{\ln\left({2x}\right)}{2}}$
is that right?

Your integrating factor is wrong.

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \frac{1}{2x} \, \mathrm{d}x } &= \frac{1}{2} \int{ \frac{1}{x} \,\mathrm{d}x} \\ &= \frac{1}{2}\ln{ \left| x \right| } + C \end{align*}$

so that means an acceptable integrating factor is

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathrm{e}^{\int{ \frac{1}{2x}\,\mathrm{d}x} } &= \mathrm{e}^{ \frac{1}{2} \ln{ (x) } } \\ &= \mathrm{e}^{ \ln{ \left[ x^{\frac{1}{2}} \right] } } \\ &= x^{\frac{1}{2}} \end{align*}$

Linear Equation cont

did i do up to here right?

$2xy'+y=6x$

$y'+\frac{1}{2x}y=3$

$I(x)=e^{\int \ \frac{1}{2x}dx}=e^{\frac{1}{2} \ln\left({x}\right)}=e^{\ln\left({x^{1/2}}\right)}=x^{1/2}$

$y'\sqrt{x}+\frac{\sqrt{x}}{2x}*y=3\sqrt{x}$

$y'\sqrt{x}+\frac{y}{2 \sqrt{x}}*y=3\sqrt{x}$

$(y \sqrt{x})'=3\sqrt{x}$

it looks like i made a mistake but i don't know where :confused:

Last edited:
ineedhelpnow said:
did i do up to here right?

$2xy'+y=6x$

$y'+\frac{1}{2x}y=3$

$I(x)=e^{\int \ \frac{1}{2x}dx}=e^{\frac{1}{2} \ln\left({x}\right)}=e^{\ln\left({x^{1/2}}\right)}=x^{1/2}$

$y'\sqrt{x}+\frac{\sqrt{x}}{2x}*y=3\sqrt{x}$

$(y \sqrt{x})'=3\sqrt{x}$

it looks like i made a mistake but i don't know where :confused:

It's all correct so far :)

really? :eek: so all i do now is integrate $3\sqrt{x}$ and divide it by $\sqrt{x}$

ineedhelpnow said:
really? :eek: so all i do now is integrate $3\sqrt{x}$ and divide it by $\sqrt{x}$

Yes, don't forget your integration constant.

ineedhelpnow said:

Actually there is a small error here, it should be $\displaystyle \begin{align*} y' \,\sqrt{x} + \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}}\,y = 3\sqrt{x} \end{align*}$, but since you came to the right conclusion I expect this is just a typo.

yep, it was a typo. i didnt meant to put the $*y$

so the original asks to find the solution of the initial value problem and it also gives me y(4)=20.

$y \sqrt{x}=\int \ 3\sqrt{x}dx$

$y \sqrt{x}=2x^{3/2}$

$y=2x+C$

$20=2(4)+C$
$20=8+C$
$C=12$

$y=2x+12$

(Yes), (No), maybe so?

ineedhelpnow said:
so the original asks to find the solution of the initial value problem and it also gives me y(4)=20.

$y \sqrt{x}=\int \ 3\sqrt{x}dx$

$y \sqrt{x}=2x^{3/2}$

$y=2x+C$

$20=2(4)+C$
$20=8+C$
$C=12$

$y=2x+12$

(Yes), (No), maybe so?

No, the moment you integrate is when you bring in your integration constant!

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} y\,\sqrt{x} &= 2x^{\frac{3}{2}} + C \\ y &= 2x + \frac{C}{\sqrt{x}} \end{align*}$

NOW substitute your point.

I have merged the two threads pertaining to the same question.

If you have a new question, then you should start a new thread, but if you are continuing your work on an existing question, then you should continue your posts in that thread. This way, we don't have multiple threads dealing with the same question.

$y=2x+\frac{C}{\sqrt{x}}$

$20=2(4)+\frac{C}{\sqrt{4}}$

$20=8+\frac{C}{2}$

$\frac{C}{2}=12$

$C=24$

$y=2x+\frac{24}{\sqrt{x}}$

ineedhelpnow said:
$y=2x+\frac{C}{\sqrt{x}}$

$20=2(4)+\frac{C}{\sqrt{4}}$

$20=8+\frac{C}{2}$

$\frac{C}{2}=12$

$C=24$

$y=2x+\frac{24}{\sqrt{x}}$

That is correct, well done :)

Related to Solving a Linear Equation with Initial Condition: $2xy'+y=6x$, $x>0$, $y(4)=20$

Question 1: What is the process for solving a linear equation with an initial condition?

The process for solving a linear equation with an initial condition involves first isolating the dependent variable on one side of the equation and the independent variable on the other side. Then, substitute the initial condition into the equation to find the value of the dependent variable at the given independent variable. Finally, solve for the remaining variable using algebraic techniques.

Question 2: What is the difference between a linear and a non-linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation in which the variables are only raised to the first power and the graph of the equation is a straight line. A non-linear equation, on the other hand, is an algebraic equation in which the variables may be raised to powers other than one and the graph of the equation is not a straight line.

Question 3: How does the initial condition affect the solution to a linear equation?

The initial condition acts as a starting point for the solution to a linear equation. It provides a specific value for the dependent variable at a given value of the independent variable. This condition is used to find the value of the constant in the solution, which determines the behavior of the linear equation.

Question 4: Why is it important to specify the domain of the variables in a linear equation?

The domain of a variable in a linear equation determines the set of values for which the equation is valid. In the given example, the domain is specified as $x>0$ which means that the equation is only valid for positive values of x. This is important because it ensures that the solution to the equation is accurate and applicable within a specific range of values.

Question 5: How can I check if my solution to a linear equation with an initial condition is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, substitute the values of the dependent and independent variables into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can also graph the equation and the initial condition to visually verify the solution.