Solving a first order linear differential equation by variation of parameters

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation using the variation of parameters method. The steps involve finding the associated homogeneous equation, using substitution or an integrating factor, and solving for the unknown variable. The conversation also addresses some issues with differentiating and integrating incorrectly.
bitrex

Homework Statement

I have to solve the following differential equation by the "variation of parameters" method.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}x +2y = 3x[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The associated homogeneous equation of the initial equation is:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = -2x^{-1}y[/tex]

So

[tex]\frac{1}{y}dy = -2x^{-1}dx[/tex]

[tex]ln(y) = -2ln(x)[/tex]

[tex]ln(y) = ln(x^{-2})[/tex]

[tex]y = x^{-2}[/tex]

Unfortunately, this doesn't satisfy the homogeneous equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did the '3' go to? When you divide by x it is [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=3-2\frac{y}{x}[/tex] not [tex]-2\frac{y}{x}[/tex]

Then you do the substitution v=y/x, then it comes easy.

Double post

You can use djeitnstine guide OR divide by x and then use an integrating factor. But you said you had a certain method to use.

Since that is the case then you should know that y1=x-2 is a solution of the homogenous equation. So just find the Wronskian of y1, which should be easy and just put it into the formula.

I'm sorry I didn't clarify in my earlier post - I'm supposed to take an equation of the form [tex] y' + p(x)y = q(x)[/tex], set the right hand side of my equation to zero, solve that equation by using separation of variables, and then take the homogeneous equation result as yh*u and substitute that back into the original differential equation, and get another separable equation. So I do the following with the answer to the homogeneous equation above and the original equation:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}(x^{-2}u) + 2x^{-1}x^{-2}u = 3[/tex]

=

[tex]-2x^{-1}u + x^{-2}\frac{du}{dx} + 2x^{-3}u = 3[/tex]

The way it's supposed to work is that the first term and the third term cancel, leaving me with a linear differential equation in du/dx to solve. However, in this case it doesn't seem to be working out that way...

-2-1= -3, not -1.

The derivative of x-2 is -2x-3, not -2x-1.

:facepalm: Yeah, that's the problem. Getting my differentiation and integration confused again.:cry:

Related to Solving a first order linear differential equation by variation of parameters

1. What is a first order linear differential equation?

A first order linear differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivative. It can be written in the form of dy/dx = f(x), where y is the function and f(x) is a function of x.

2. What is variation of parameters?

Variation of parameters is a method used to solve a first order linear differential equation. It involves finding a particular solution by assuming the solution is in the form of y = u(x)*y1(x), where y1(x) is a known solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation and u(x) is a function to be determined.

3. When is variation of parameters used?

Variation of parameters is used when the coefficients of the first order linear differential equation are not constant and cannot be solved using other methods such as separation of variables or integrating factors.

4. What are the steps to solve a first order linear differential equation using variation of parameters?

The steps to solve a first order linear differential equation using variation of parameters are:
1. Find the general solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation.
2. Assume a particular solution in the form of y = u(x)*y1(x), where y1(x) is a known solution.
3. Substitute the assumed solution into the original differential equation and solve for u(x).
4. Use the values of u(x) and y1(x) to find the particular solution.
5. Add the particular solution to the general solution to get the complete solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using variation of parameters?

Yes, variation of parameters can only be used to solve first order linear differential equations. It is also more complex and time-consuming compared to other methods, so it may not be the most efficient option in all cases.