Solve this differential equation using separation of variables

But it's more accurate to say that it comes from dividing both sides by y2. When you have a fraction like y2 x, the same thing as (1/y2) * x. So when you divide both sides by y2, you're left with just x on the right side. And (1/y2) is just written as 1/y2. In summary, when solving the first order, ordinary differential equation dy/dx = y^2 x using separation of variables, the correct answer is y = -2/x^2 + 2. To get this answer, you should separate the variables and integrate both sides, keeping in mind that (1/y^2) should be rewritten as y^-2.
escobar147
Solve the following first order, ordinary differential equations using separation of variables:

dy/dx = y^2 x

subject to y=-1 when x=0

the correct answer is: y = -2/x^2 + 2

i cannot seem to get this answer, after i separate the variables and integrate both sides i get:

y^2 x^2/2

then if i plug the values in i get y = 0?

please help

Physics news on Phys.org
When you separate the variables you should get

(1/y^2)dy = x dx

Integrating 1/y^2 wrt y will not give you y^2. Rewrite it as y^-2.

rock.freak667 said:
When you separate the variables you should get

(1/y^2)dy = x dx

Integrating 1/y^2 wrt y will not give you y^2. Rewrite it as y^-2.

hi, thanks foryour reply i appreciate it, but could you please explain why when you separate variables y^2 become 1/y^2?

dy/dx = y2 x

Divide both sides by y2

(1/y2)dy/dx = x

rock.freak667 said:
dy/dx = y2 x

Divide both sides by y2

(1/y2)dy/dx = x

where has the 1 come from? is it the coefficiant of dy/dx?

escobar147 said:
where has the 1 come from? is it the coefficiant of dy/dx?

Well you can think of the 1 like that yes.

Related to Solve this differential equation using separation of variables

1. What is separation of variables?

Separation of variables is a method used to solve differential equations by separating the variables on each side of the equation and then integrating both sides separately.

2. How do you know when to use separation of variables?

Separation of variables is used when the differential equation is in a "separable" form, meaning that the independent variable and dependent variable can be separated on opposite sides of the equation.

3. Can you provide an example of solving a differential equation using separation of variables?

Sure! Let's say we have the differential equation dy/dx = x^2. We can separate the variables by writing it as dy = x^2 dx. Then, we can integrate both sides to get y = x^3/3 + C, where C is the constant of integration.

4. Are there any limitations to using separation of variables?

Yes, there are certain types of differential equations that cannot be solved using separation of variables, such as non-separable equations or equations with non-constant coefficients.

5. Can separation of variables be used for higher order differential equations?

Yes, separation of variables can also be used for higher order differential equations. However, the process can become more complex and may require multiple separations and integrations to solve the equation.