Solve Sets & De Morgan Homework - Introduction to Analysis 5th Ed. Gaughan

• Thread starter Krovski
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation is discussing the DeMorgan's Law for sets and how to prove the equation (A - (B ∩ C)) = ((A - B) ∪ (A - C)). The conversation also mentions using A-B to denote the set of all elements in A that are not in B. The conversation suggests starting with a simpler example involving three sets (A,B, and C) before tackling the more general proof for arbitrary unions and intersections.
Krovski

Homework Statement

I'm using Introduction to Analysis 5th edition by Edward D. Gaughan.

The question is:
Prove (De Morgan)
S\([itex]\bigcap[/itex] A[itex]_{\lambda}[/itex]) = [itex]\cup[/itex](S\A)
[itex]\lambda\epsilon[/itex] [itex]\Lambda[/itex]
Where [itex]\Lambda[/itex] A and S are sets
(doesn't specify real or complex but assuming real)

Homework Equations

to prove two things equal it is enough to show they are contained within each other
union is all elements of both sets, none repeat (ie if two appears twice count it only once)
intersection is all elements common to both sets

The Attempt at a Solution

(for typing purposes I'll just write everything out in words rather than symbols, having trouble from my tablet)
I can understand that if there is some x that belongs to this set, it is clear that it belongs to S and not the intersection of A[itex]\lambda[/itex]
On the right hand side of the equation I can see that if x is not in the intersection of A[itex]\lambda[/itex] and it is in S, then the union of the two sets would mean that x is in the right hand side of the equation since it's in S.

I don't think it is enough for what my Prof. is looking for. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Krovski, perhaps we can start off a little smaller.

Let A,B, and C be sets.

For three sets, the DeMorgan's Law in question states:

A-(B ∩ C) = (A - B) ∪ (A - C).

*I am using A-B to denote {x| x is in A and x is not in B}

Prove that first. Then, perhaps solving this will give us a better intuition for arbitrary unions and intersections.

Related to Solve Sets & De Morgan Homework - Introduction to Analysis 5th Ed. Gaughan

1. What is "Solve Sets & De Morgan Homework - Introduction to Analysis 5th Ed. Gaughan"?

"Solve Sets & De Morgan Homework - Introduction to Analysis 5th Ed. Gaughan" is a homework assignment or exercise from the 5th edition of the book "Introduction to Analysis" written by William R. Gaughan. It covers topics related to sets and De Morgan's laws, which are fundamental concepts in mathematical analysis.

2. Why is it important to understand sets and De Morgan's laws?

Sets and De Morgan's laws are important concepts in mathematical analysis, which is a fundamental branch of mathematics. This understanding is necessary for solving more complex problems and for building a strong foundation in mathematics.

3. What are some examples of sets and De Morgan's laws?

An example of a set could be the set of all even numbers, and an example of De Morgan's law could be the statement "The complement of the union of two sets is equal to the intersection of the complements of the two sets."

4. How can I approach solving "Solve Sets & De Morgan Homework - Introduction to Analysis 5th Ed. Gaughan"?

It is recommended to start by reviewing the relevant concepts and definitions in the book. Then, try to understand the instructions and the given problems. Break down the problems into smaller, more manageable parts and use logical reasoning to solve them step-by-step.

5. What resources can I use to help me solve "Solve Sets & De Morgan Homework - Introduction to Analysis 5th Ed. Gaughan"?

In addition to the book "Introduction to Analysis" and any class notes or materials, you can also use online resources such as math forums, video tutorials, and practice problems to help you understand and solve the homework. It is also helpful to seek assistance from a teacher or tutor if needed.