Proving that the intersection of two sets is a subset of Q?

In summary: It's not too early to say. You have proven that if ##x \in U\cap V##, then ##\sqrt{14} = \frac{p^2-2pa+a^2-7b^2-2r^2}{2br}## which is a contradiction, since the left side is irrational and the right side is rational. This means that there cannot be any elements in ##U\cap V## that are not in ##\mathbb{Q}##, so ##U\cap V = \mathbb{Q}##.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"Let ##U={p+r\sqrt{2}:p,r∈ℚ}## and let ##V={a+b\sqrt{7}:a,b∈ℚ}##. Show that ##ℚ⊆U∩V##. Then show that ##U∩V⊆ℚ## and conclude that ##U∩V=ℚ##."

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I only knew how to prove the first part. That is:

(1)
"Suppose that ##ℚ⊄U∩V##. This implies that ##∃x∈ℚ## such that ##x∉U## and ##x∉V##. But since ##ℚ⊂U## and ##ℚ⊂V##, it follows that there does not exist an ##x∈ℚ⊂U## such that ##x∉U##. Similarly, there exist no ##x∈ℚ⊂V## such that ##x∉V##."

I'm also ambivalent about saying that ##ℚ⊂U## when I haven't proven yet that ##∃q## such that ##p+q\sqrt{2}∉ℚ##. I'm thinking about just changing it to ##ℚ⊆U##.

(2)
##{p+r\sqrt{2}:p,r∈ℚ}∩{a+b\sqrt{7}:a,b∈ℚ}##

And here is where I got stuck; proving that if ##r≠0##, then ##p+r\sqrt{2}∉V##. Similarly, I was unable to prove that ##a+b\sqrt{7}∉U##. Basically, I'm trying to prove that every element of an intersection whose elements I am unable to properly identify. I'm thinking of just doing it one piece at a time:

"Suppose ##p+r\sqrt{2}∈V##. Then we can say that ##p+r\sqrt{2}=a+b\sqrt{7}##. With algebra, I get: ##\sqrt{2}=\frac{1}{r}(s+b\sqrt{7})## where ##s=a-p##. Squaring both sides gives me ##2=\frac{1}{r}(s^2+2bs\sqrt{7}+7b^2)##. However, contradicts the fact that ##2## is a prime number, since it can only be written as the product of two integers: itself and ##1##."

That's only proving that any element of ##U## with ##r≠0## is an element of ##V##, and I don't even think I'd be done, since I cannot rule out the possibility that ##s+b\sqrt{7}=1## and ##\frac{1}{r}=2##; or the possibility that ##\frac{1}{r}=1## and ##s+b\sqrt{7}=\sqrt{2}##.

I was given a hint that I needed to use the fact that ##\sqrt{14}∉ℚ## for the second part...

Physics news on Phys.org
Eclair_de_XII said:

Homework Statement

"Let ##U={p+r\sqrt{2}:p,r∈ℚ}## and let ##V={a+b\sqrt{7}:a,b∈ℚ}##. Show that ##ℚ⊆U∩V##. Then show that ##U∩V⊆ℚ## and conclude that ##U∩V=ℚ##."

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I only knew how to prove the first part. That is:

(1)
"Suppose that ##ℚ⊄U∩V##. This implies that ##∃x∈ℚ## such that ##x∉U## and ##x∉V##. But since ##ℚ⊂U## and ##ℚ⊂V##, it follows that there does not exist an ##x∈ℚ⊂U## such that ##x∉U##. Similarly, there exist no ##x∈ℚ⊂V## such that ##x∉V##."

I'm also ambivalent about saying that ##ℚ⊂U## when I haven't proven yet that ##∃q## such that ##p+q\sqrt{2}∉ℚ##. I'm thinking about just changing it to ##ℚ⊆U##.

(2)
##{p+r\sqrt{2}:p,r∈ℚ}∩{a+b\sqrt{7}:a,b∈ℚ}##

And here is where I got stuck; proving that if ##r≠0##, then ##p+r\sqrt{2}∉V##. Similarly, I was unable to prove that ##a+b\sqrt{7}∉U##. Basically, I'm trying to prove that every element of an intersection whose elements I am unable to properly identify. I'm thinking of just doing it one piece at a time:

"Suppose ##p+r\sqrt{2}∈V##. Then we can say that ##p+r\sqrt{2}=a+b\sqrt{7}##. With algebra, I get: ##\sqrt{2}=\frac{1}{r}(s+b\sqrt{7})## where ##s=a-p##. Squaring both sides gives me ##2=\frac{1}{r}(s^2+2bs\sqrt{7}+7b^2)##. However, contradicts the fact that ##2## is a prime number, since it can only be written as the product of two integers: itself and ##1##."

That's only proving that any element of ##U## with ##r≠0## is an element of ##V##, and I don't even think I'd be done, since I cannot rule out the possibility that ##s+b\sqrt{7}=1## and ##\frac{1}{r}=2##; or the possibility that ##\frac{1}{r}=1## and ##s+b\sqrt{7}=\sqrt{2}##.

I was given a hint that I needed to use the fact that ##\sqrt{14}∉ℚ## for the second part...
Think about what the elements of ##U \cap V## can be. It's also helpful to think about things from a vector space perspective. If you have a nonzero element q of ##\mathbb{Q}## (a rational number), any other rational number is some (rational) multiple of q. In linear algebra terms, q spans ##\mathbb{Q}##. Set U can be thought of as all linear combinations of elements from ##\mathbb{Q}## and ##\sqrt 2##. With set U, you get all possible rational numbers, plus something else -- all rational multiples of ##\sqrt 2##. Set V is something like this, with all possible rational numbers, plus all rational multiples of ##\sqrt 7##.

So I'm really thinking of U as being spanned by two "vectors" -- 1 and ##\sqrt 2##, and V being spanned by a different set of vectors -- 1 and ##\sqrt 7##. What do the two sets have in common?

Eclair_de_XII said:
(1)
"Suppose that ##ℚ⊄U∩V##. This implies that ##∃x∈ℚ## such that ##x∉U## and ##x∉V##.
That should be ##x∉U## OR ##x∉V##.

In any case, your proof seems unnecessarily complicated. If ##x \in \mathbb{Q}##, what can you say about ##x + 0\sqrt{2}## and ##x+0\sqrt{7}##?

Mark44 said:
What do the two sets have in common?

They have ##1## as that common element. So how would I express the fact that the sets are in different planes, except at the ##ℚ## axis (so to speak) where they intersect?

vela said:
If ##x∈ℚ##, what can you say about ##x+0\sqrt{2}## and ##0\sqrt{7}##?

They're both elements of ##U## and ##V##.

Eclair_de_XII said:

If ##x \in U\cap V##, you have ##x = p+r\sqrt{2} = a+b\sqrt{7}##. Rearrange terms to get ##p-a = b\sqrt{7}-r\sqrt{2}## and then square both sides. See where that takes you.

Let's see...

##p^2-2pa+a^2=7b^2-2br\sqrt{14}+2r^2##
##-\frac{p^2-2pa+a^2-7b^2-2r^2}{2br}=\sqrt{14}##

So I get the contradiction that ##\sqrt{14}## is supposed to be irrational? Or is it to early to say that?

Last edited:
Eclair_de_XII said:
Let's see...

##p^2-2pa+a^2=7b^2-2br\sqrt{14}+2r^2##
##-\frac{p^2-2pa+a^2-7b^2-2r^2}{2br}=\sqrt{14}##

So I get the contradiction that ##\sqrt{14}## is supposed to be irrational?
?
##\sqrt{14}## is irrational. The left side, ##p^2 - 2pa + a^2## is rational, as are ##7b^2## and ##2r^2##. Can you have a rational number on one side of an equation, and an irrational one on the other side?
Eclair_de_XII said:
Or is it to early to say that?

Mark44 said:
Can you have a rational number on one side of an equation, and an irrational one on the other side?

No; and that's where I would get the contradiction from. Okay, I think I got my answer. Thanks.

Last edited:

Related to Proving that the intersection of two sets is a subset of Q?

1. What is the intersection of two sets?

The intersection of two sets is the set of elements that are common to both sets. It is denoted by the symbol ∩ and can also be thought of as the overlap between the two sets.

2. What does it mean for a set to be a subset of Q?

A set is considered a subset of Q if all of its elements are also elements of the set of rational numbers, Q. In other words, every element in the set can be written as a ratio of two integers.

3. How do you prove that the intersection of two sets is a subset of Q?

To prove that the intersection of two sets is a subset of Q, we must show that every element in the intersection is also an element of Q. This can be done by writing out the elements in both sets and showing that they can be expressed as ratios of integers.

4. Why is it important to prove that the intersection of two sets is a subset of Q?

Proving that the intersection of two sets is a subset of Q is important because it helps us understand the relationship between the two sets. It also allows us to make conclusions about the elements in the intersection based on our knowledge of rational numbers.

5. Can the intersection of two sets be a proper subset of Q?

No, the intersection of two sets can only be a proper subset of Q if one of the sets is not a subset of Q. If both sets are subsets of Q, then their intersection will also be a subset of Q.