Solve Set Proof Problems Homework Statement

• Thread starter Ayushi160695
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof Set
In summary, the homework asks for a proof that (A-B) - (B-C) = A-B, simplifying (A-( A N B)) N (B-(ANB)) and (A-B) U (B-C) = (A U B) - (B N C). Additionally, the homework asks for a derivation of the set identity A U (A NB) = A and the set identity A N ( A U B) = A.
Ayushi160695

Homework Statement

Can anyone please help me solve these questions?
(1) Prove that (A-B) - (B-C) = A-B
(2)Simplify (A-( A N B)) N (B-(ANB))
(3) Simplify ( ( A N ( B U C)) N ( A-B)) N ( B U C')
(4)Use element property and algebraic argument to derive the property
(A-B) U (B-C) = (A U B) - (B N C)
(5) Derive the set identity A U (A NB) = A
(6) Derive the set identity A N ( A U B) = A
N stands for intersection.
Thank you for your time.

Homework Equations

A-B = A N B'- Set Difference rules
A N ( A U B) - Distributive rule : (A N A) U (A N B)
(A' N B') = (A U B)' - De Morgans Law

The Attempt at a Solution

Distributive[/B] rules A N (A U B) = ( A N A) U ( A N B) = A U (A NB) then I don't know how to go there, if i continue with associative rule I simply revert back to the initial step? Same for question 5. For Q 1 (A N B') N ( B' N C) and then I don't know how to go from there.
Q 2 and 3 got me confused with all the brackets to be honest...I don't even know which rules to use? Any hint?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you ever seen the following definition that two sets are equal:

Sets ##A## and ##B## are equal if ##x \in A \iff \ x \in B##

PeroK said:
Have you ever seen the following definition that two sets are equal:

Sets ##A## and ##B## are equal if ##x \in A \iff \ x \in B##
I actually managed to get the answer to Q 5 and 6
Q 5 First we state that for all subset of B of the universal set, U U B = U and then we intersect both sides by A.
Q 6 We state that for all subset if B of the universal set, Null set = Null Set intersect B and then take union of both sides with A.
It was quite easy, I was quite dumb for not noticing before and now for the other questions...

Related to Solve Set Proof Problems Homework Statement

1. How do I approach solving set proof problems?

When solving set proof problems, it is important to first understand the definitions and properties of sets. Then, carefully read the given statements and identify the key elements, such as the sets involved and any given conditions. Next, use logic and deductive reasoning to manipulate the statements and arrive at the desired conclusion. It is also helpful to draw Venn diagrams or use other visual aids to better understand the relationships between sets.

2. What are the common types of set proof problems?

Some common types of set proof problems include proving set equality, set inclusion, set intersection, set union, set complement, and set identity. These problems may also involve using set operations, such as union, intersection, and complement, to manipulate the given sets and arrive at the desired conclusion.

3. How do I know if my solution to a set proof problem is correct?

To ensure the correctness of your solution, it is important to carefully follow the rules and properties of sets and set operations. Double-check your steps and make sure they are logically sound. Additionally, it is always helpful to check your solution against the given conditions and see if it satisfies all the necessary criteria.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving set proof problems?

One common mistake when solving set proof problems is assuming that a statement is true without proper justification. Another mistake is using incorrect or incomplete definitions and properties of sets and set operations. It is also important to pay attention to the given conditions and not make assumptions that are not explicitly stated.

5. Are there any tips for improving my skills in solving set proof problems?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving set proof problems. Start with simpler problems and gradually move on to more complex ones. Also, make sure to thoroughly understand the definitions and properties of sets and set operations. It is also helpful to collaborate with others and discuss different approaches and solutions to problems.