Solve Complex Numbers: $z$ | Arg & Modulus Equations

In summary: So the solution is even easier than I thought. In summary, to solve for the complex number $z$, we can first notice that $\arg\left( \frac{3z-6-3i}{2z-8-6i}\right) = \arg\left( \dfrac{z-2-i}{z-4-3i}\right)$, which reduces the problem to finding the intersection of two circles: the red circle with radius 3 and centre $3-i$, and the green circle with radius $|2-i|$ and centre $2+i$. The solution will be the major arc joining, but not including, the points $z=2+i$ and $z=4+3i
DrunkenOldFool
Solve for complex number, $z$:\[\text{arg}\left( \frac{3z-6-3i}{2z-8-6i}\right)=\frac{\pi}{4}\]and \[|z-3+i|=3\]The problem I am facing is that when I substitute $z=x+iy$, the equations become extremely complicated. There has to be another tricky method which I am not able to figure out.

Physics news on Phys.org
DrunkenOldFool said:
Solve for complex number, $z$:\[\text{arg}\left( \frac{3z-6-3i}{2z-8-6i}\right)=\frac{\pi}{4}\]and \[|z-3+i|=3\]The problem I am facing is that when I substitute $z=x+iy$, the equations become extremely complicated. There has to be another tricky method which I am not able to figure out.

The following may help:

The second condition means that \(z\) is a point on a circle of radius 3 centred at \(3-i\)

Also \(\arg(u/v)=(\arg(u)-\arg(v)) \mod 2\pi\).

CB

Last edited:
Notice first that $\arg\left( \dfrac{3z-6-3i}{2z-8-6i}\right) = \arg\left( \dfrac32\,\dfrac{z-2-i}{z-4-3i}\right) = \arg\left( \dfrac{z-2-i}{z-4-3i}\right)$ (because multiplying a complex number by a positive real number does not alter its arg).

Next, $\arg\left( \dfrac{z-2-i}{z-4-3i}\right) = \arg\bigl(z-(2+i)\bigr) - \arg\bigl(z-(4+3i)\bigr)$. Now $z-(2+i)$ is the vector from $z$ to $2+i$, and $z-(4+3i)$ is the vector from $z$ to $4+3i$ (see the dashed lines in the picture below). We want the angle between those two vectors to be $\pi/4$.

If you recall your euclidean geometry (theorems about angles in the same segment, and the angle at the centre being twice the angle at the circumference), you will see that this requires $z$ to lie on a circle through the two black dots in the picture (the points $2+i$ and $4+3i$). The centre of the circle has to lie on the perpendicular bisector of those two points, and the two points have to be in perpendicular directions from the centre. That requires the centre to be at the point $4+i$ (the green dot), which conveniently shares the same real or imaginary part with each black dot.

Thus $z$ has to lie on the green circle. As CaptainBlack has pointed out, $z$ also has to lie on the red circle centred at $3-i$ with radius 3. At this stage, I would substitute $z=x+iy$, and write the equations of the circles. Solve for $x$ and $y$ (start by subtracting one circle equation from the other, to get a linear relation between $x$ and $y$) and you will get two solutions for $z$, namely the points where the two circles meet.

Attachments

• arg.png
    arg.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 50
Opalg said:
Notice first that $\arg\left( \dfrac{3z-6-3i}{2z-8-6i}\right) = \arg\left( \dfrac32\,\dfrac{z-2-i}{z-4-3i}\right) = \arg\left( \dfrac{z-2-i}{z-4-3i}\right)$ (because multiplying a complex number by a positive real number does not alter its arg).

Next, $\arg\left( \dfrac{z-2-i}{z-4-3i}\right) = \arg\bigl(z-(2+i)\bigr) - \arg\bigl(z-(4+3i)\bigr)$. Now $z-(2+i)$ is the vector from $z$ to $2+i$, and $z-(4+3i)$ is the vector from $z$ to $4+3i$ (see the dashed lines in the picture below). We want the angle between those two vectors to be $\pi/4$.

If you recall your euclidean geometry (theorems about angles in the same segment, and the angle at the centre being twice the angle at the circumference), you will see that this requires $z$ to lie on a circle through the two black dots in the picture (the points $2+i$ and $4+3i$). The centre of the circle has to lie on the perpendicular bisector of those two points, and the two points have to be in perpendicular directions from the centre. That requires the centre to be at the point $4+i$ (the green dot), which conveniently shares the same real or imaginary part with each black dot.

Thus $z$ has to lie on the green circle. As CaptainBlack has pointed out, $z$ also has to lie on the red circle centred at $3-i$ with radius 3. At this stage, I would substitute $z=x+iy$, and write the equations of the circles. Solve for $x$ and $y$ (start by subtracting one circle equation from the other, to get a linear relation between $x$ and $y$) and you will get two solutions for $z$, namely the points where the two circles meet.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/459​
I think it will be the major arc joining but not including z = 2 + i and z = 4 + 3i rather than the whole circle (the minor arc will be obtained for pi/4 + pi). The end points of the arc are not included because arg(0) is not defined.

Mr Fantastic said:
I think it will be the major arc joining but not including z = 2 + i and z = 4 + 3i rather than the whole circle (the minor arc will be obtained for pi/4 + pi). The end points of the arc are not included because arg(0) is not defined.
Absolutely correct. (I thought that I had checked what happens on the minor arc, but I overlooked a minus sign.)

Related to Solve Complex Numbers: $z$ | Arg & Modulus Equations

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. What is the modulus of a complex number?

The modulus (or absolute value) of a complex number is its distance from the origin on the complex plane. It is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts, |z| = √(a² + b²).

3. What is the argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number is the angle between the positive real axis and the line connecting the number to the origin on the complex plane. It is usually represented by the Greek letter theta (θ) and is calculated using the formula tan⁻¹(b/a).

4. How do you solve equations involving complex numbers?

To solve equations involving complex numbers, you can use the properties of complex numbers such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. In addition, you can also use the polar form of complex numbers, which involves converting the numbers to their modulus and argument form.

5. What are some real-life applications of complex numbers?

Complex numbers have many applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They are used to describe electrical circuits, analyze vibrations, and model population growth. In addition, they are also used in computer graphics and signal processing.