Is this a complex number at the second quadrant?

In summary: The right answer is ## \pi - \arctan(1/2) \approx 2.64 \;\mbox{radians}##.In summary, the conversation discusses the argument of a complex number and its principal value. The speaker raises a question about whether the argument of ##w## is unique and which complex number has a principal argument of ##\pi + \arctan(2)##. The conversation also touches on the use of intervals to restrict the argument and the speaker's personal opinion on the matter. In the end, it is established that the argument of ##w=(-2 + i)## is actually ## \pi - \arctan(1/2) \approx 2
mcastillo356
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I am quite sure, but I don't manage with Geogebra. It involves the value of the ##\arg(w)## in the interval ##-\pi<\theta\leq{\pi}##, called the principal argument of ##w## and denote it ##\mbox{Arg(w)}##
Hi, PF, so long, I have a naive question: is ##\pi+\arctan{(2)}## a complex number at the second quadrant? To define a single-valued function, the principal argument of ##w## (denoted ##\mbox{Arg (w)}## is unique. This is because it is sometimes convenient to restric ##\theta=\arg{(w)}## to an interval of length ##2\pi##, say the interval ##0\leq{\theta}<2\pi##, or ##-\pi<\theta\leq{\pi}##. This last one is which I am concerned with.
PS: I post without preview :frown:
Regards!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mcastillo356 said:
Hi, PF, so long, I have a naive question: is ##\pi+\arctan{(2)}## a complex number at the second quadrant?
No, it is a real number about equal to 4.25.

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
Hi, PF

If ##a<0## and ##b>0##, are we at the second quadrant, therefore ##\arg{(a+bi)}=\pi+\arctan{(b/a)}##?.
If so, ##\pi+\arctan{(2)}## should fall at the second one. I'm quite sure of it. But then, which is the complex number that has ##\pi+\arctan{(2)}## as the principal value of the argument?

My attempt: ##w=-2+i##. But here comes the problem: ##\displaystyle\frac{1}{-2}\neq{2}##, so the statement ##\arg{(a+bi)}=\pi+\arctan{(b/a)}## must be false. The question is that is a true statement. The solution is, in my personal opinion, that the moduli ##|-2+i|=\sqrt{5}##, and the ##\mbox{Arg}## ought to be, ##\pi+\arctan{-2}##.

Regards!

mcastillo356 said:
If ##a<0## and ##b>0##, are we at the second quadrant, therefore ##\arg{(a+bi)}=\pi+\arctan{(b/a)}##?
Yes.

mcastillo356 said:
If so, ##\pi+\arctan{(2)}## should fall at the second one. I'm quite sure of it.
No. If ##a<0## and ##b>0## then ## \frac b a \ne 2 ##.

mcastillo356 said:
But then, which is the complex number that has ##\pi+\arctan{(2)}## as the principal value of the argument?
As already discussed ##\pi+\arctan{(2)} \approx 4.25##. Is this between ## -\pi \text{ and } \pi ##?

mcastillo356 said:
My attempt: ##w=-2+i##. But here comes the problem: ##\displaystyle\frac{1}{-2}\neq{2}##, so the statement ##\arg{(a+bi)}=\pi+\arctan{(b/a)}## must be false. The question is that is a true statement. The solution is, in my personal opinion, that the moduli ##|-2+i|=\sqrt{5}##, and the ##\mbox{Arg}## ought to be, ##\pi+\arctan{-2}##.
I don't really understand any of that, but ## \arg(-2 + i) = \pi - \arctan \frac 1 2 ##.

Likes mcastillo356
pbuk said:
No. If ##a<0## and ##b>0## then ## \frac b a \ne 2 ##.
Oops!
pbuk said:
As already discussed ##\pi+\arctan{(2)} \approx 4.25##. Is this between ## -\pi \text{ and } \pi ##?
Not at all
pbuk said:
I don't really understand any of that, but ## \arg(-2 + i) = \pi - \arctan \frac 1 2 ##.
Need to revisit my background in complex numbers. Thanks for your attention, hope we will keep in touch. Regards!

pbuk said:
Understood. Let's see if my drawing agrees with your quote. ##\pi-\arctan\frac 1 2 ##, could be ##\mbox{Arg}## of ##w=(-2+i)##, ##\pi## counterclockwise, and ##\arctan \frac 1 2## clockwise?
geogebra-export (4).png
I don`t manage with ##\pi+\arctan(-2)##. I've tried with a Casio fx-82MS, pretending to switch polar to rectangular coordinates: I won't bore the forums with my effort; I just declare that my attempt is ##\pi+\arctan(-2)=-0.1\mbox{radians}##.
I post with no preview
Regards!
PS: Edited. Reason: Mistake when describing the Geogebra file.

Last edited:
pbuk said:
I don't really understand any of that,
Neither me; how many days have I taken? :smile:
pbuk said:
but ## \arg(-2 + i) = \pi - \arctan \frac 1 2 ##.
Thank you very much!
Greetings.

Hi, PF, write to say how misled was I when saying that the ##\mbox{Arg}## corresponding to ##w=(-2 +i)## was ##\pi + \arctan(-2)=-60.29\;\mbox{degrees}##. Actually placing ##w## at the fourth quadrant :oldlaugh:

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (equal to the square root of -1).

2. What is the second quadrant?

The second quadrant is the area on a Cartesian coordinate plane where the x-coordinate is negative and the y-coordinate is positive. It is located between 90 and 180 degrees on the unit circle.

3. How do you determine if a number is in the second quadrant?

A number is in the second quadrant if its x-coordinate is negative and its y-coordinate is positive. This can also be determined by looking at the angle formed between the complex number and the positive real axis on a complex plane.

4. Can a complex number be in the second quadrant?

Yes, a complex number can be in any quadrant on a complex plane. The location of a complex number on the plane is determined by its real and imaginary parts.

5. How do you graph a complex number in the second quadrant?

To graph a complex number in the second quadrant, plot the x-coordinate (real part) as a negative value and the y-coordinate (imaginary part) as a positive value on a complex plane. The resulting point will be in the second quadrant.