How Can I Solve a System of Equations With Complex Numbers?

In summary: You're making things harder than they need to be. Don't substitute a + ib for z. You can eliminate w by adding -1 times the second equation to the first. This gets you a simple equation involving only z. Then back-substitute to find w.z=(-1+7i)/(2-i).
Callmelucky
Homework Statement
How can I solve a system of equations with complex numbers
2z+w=7i
zi+w=-1
Relevant Equations
z=a+bi
2z+w=7i
zi+w=-1

I have tried substituting z with a+bi and I have tried substituting w=7i-2z but didn't get anything useful.

Edit: also, I've tried, multiplying lower eq. with -1 so that I can cancel w but I get stuck with 2z and zi and I can't figure out what I am supposed to do with that.

Edit2: also, I have tried replacing both z and w with a+bi but still nothing

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Callmelucky said:
2z+w=7i
zi+w=-1
Are you sure you've typed that correctly?

PeroK said:
Are you sure you've typed that correctly?
yes, and the solution should be z=-1+3i, w=2+i

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-12-01 at 21.07.45.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-12-01 at 21.07.45.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 77
Likes PeroK
Callmelucky said:
Edit: also, I've tried, multiplying lower eq. with -1 so that I can cancel w but I get stuck with 2z and zi and I can't figure out what I am supposed to do with that.
You can manipulate complex numbers very much like you are used to with real numbers.
So what you tried should give you 2z-zi = 7i-1. Then you can factor the left side to get z(2-i)=7i-1
CORRECTION: z(2-i)=7i+1 and divide both sides by 2-i. z=(-1+7i)/(2-i). CORRECTION: z=(1+7i)/(2-i)
(Corrections thanks to @pasmith)

Callmelucky said:
You can do that and work with all the reals and imaginary parts separately, but that is often the last resort.

Last edited:
Callmelucky said:
yes, and the solution should be z=-1+3i, w=2+i
I get these values.
You're making things harder than they need to be. Don't substitute a + ib for z. You can eliminate w by adding -1 times the second equation to the first. This gets you a simple equation involving only z. Then back-substitute to find w.

FactChecker said:
So what you tried should give you 2z-zi = 7i-1. Then you can factor the left side to get z(2-i)=7i-1 and divide both sides by 2-i. z=(-1+7i)/(2-i).
I do get that, but that is not what is in solutions.

FactChecker said:
You can manipulate complex numbers very much like you are used to with real numbers.
So what you tried should give you 2z-zi = 7i-1. Then you can factor the left side to get z(2-i)=7i-1 and divide both sides by 2-i. z=(-1+7i)/(2-i).

Callmelucky said:
I do get that, but that is not what is in solutions.

Subtracting [itex]iz + w = -1[/itex] from [itex]2z + w = 7i[/itex] should give [tex]
\begin{split}
(2 - i)z + (1 - 1)w &= 7i - (-1) \\
(2 - i)z &= 1 + 7i.\end{split}[/tex]

Likes Callmelucky and FactChecker
Callmelucky said:
Okay, but that still isn't z=-1+3i
Yes, it is. You need to simplify it by multiplying both the numerator and denominator by 2+i

Likes Callmelucky
I got it, that is why I deleted comment right after posting it lol :D.
Thanks everyone.

But the problem is that I did not know how to divide complex numbers yesterday, I learned that like 10 minutes ago.

Likes DaveE and PeroK
Callmelucky said:
But the problem is that I did not know how to divide complex numbers yesterday, I learned that like 10 minutes ago.
That's the key here. If you proceed as I advised back in post #5, you get ##z = \frac{1 + 7i}{2 - i}##. If you don't know how to do division by complex numbers, you can't simplify the above to get ##z = -1 + 3i##.

If you're working from a textbook, did it cover complex number division, but you didn't catch on?

Mark44 said:
That's the key here. If you proceed as I advised back in post #5, you get ##z = \frac{1 + 7i}{2 - i}##. If you don't know how to do division by complex numbers, you can't simplify the above to get ##z = -1 + 3i##.

If you're working from a textbook, did it cover complex number division, but you didn't catch on?
But this is a task in the chapter before division, in the chapter for addition and multiplication of complex numbers.

When you get: z=(-1+7i)/(2-i).

multiply by (2+i)/(2+i)

Callmelucky said:
But this is a task in the chapter before division, in the chapter for addition and multiplication of complex numbers.
That seems odd. You didn't show the complete problem as it appears in the book -- were you supposed to solve for z and w, or was it something simpler, like saying that there is a solution vs. saying that there is no solution?

Callmelucky said:
This works (although you can't replace both z and w with a + bi -- you need to replace w with a different complex number), but it entails knowing how to solve a system of four equations in four unknowns.

Likes Callmelucky
Callmelucky said:
Take the result @pasmith gave in Post#7, shown below.
pasmith said:
Subtracting [itex]iz + w = -1[/itex] from [itex]2z + w = 7i[/itex] should give [tex]
\begin{split}
(2 - i)z + (1 - 1)w &= 7i - (-1) \\
(2 - i)z &= 1 + 7i.\end{split}[/tex]
Now multiply both sides by the complex conjugate of ##(2-i)##.

You will need to be able to divide both sides by ##5## to arrive at the answer..

Likes pbuk
Mark44 said:
That seems odd. You didn't show the complete problem as it appears in the book -- were you supposed to solve for z and w, or was it something simpler, like saying that there is a solution vs. saying that there is no solution?
No, it says: solve systems of equations. And then 3 problems and that is it.

Mark44 said:
This works (although you can't replace both z and w with a + bi -- you need to replace w with a different complex number), but it entails knowing how to solve a system of four equations in four unknowns.
I think this was expected to be done. Because I have already seen how it was supposed to be done just couldn't remember

Callmelucky said:
I think this was expected to be done. Because I have already seen how it was supposed to be done just couldn't remember
Yeah, if you write the system as an augmented matrix -- 4 rows and 5 columns, and do reduced row-echelon reduction, the solution comes out pretty easily.

Likes Callmelucky
SammyS said:
Take the result @pasmith gave in Post#7, shown below.

Now multiply both sides by the complex conjugate of ##(2-i)##.
Yes that is one easy way without needing complex division - ISTR that multiplying by a complex conjugate was a common tool in solving exam questions at this stage.

It is also easy to solve by setting ## z = a + ib, w = c + id ## and solving for the real and imaginary parts separately: you should get to e.g. ## 2a + b = 1, 2b - a = 7 ## quickly and it is trivial from there.

Likes Callmelucky

1. How do I represent complex numbers in a system of equations?

In a system of equations, complex numbers can be represented in the form of a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

2. What is the process for solving a system of equations with complex numbers?

The process for solving a system of equations with complex numbers is similar to solving a system with real numbers. First, isolate one variable in one of the equations and substitute it into the other equations. Then, solve for the remaining variable. Finally, substitute the value of the variable into one of the original equations to find the value of the other variable.

3. Can I use the same methods for solving systems of equations with complex numbers as I would for real numbers?

Yes, the same methods such as substitution, elimination, and graphing can be used to solve systems of equations with complex numbers. However, it is important to keep in mind the properties of complex numbers when performing these operations.

4. What should I do if I encounter an imaginary solution when solving a system of equations with complex numbers?

If you encounter an imaginary solution, it means that the system of equations does not have a real solution. You can still solve for the complex solution by using the quadratic formula or other methods for solving equations with complex numbers.

5. Are there any special rules or considerations when solving systems of equations with complex numbers?

One important rule to keep in mind is that when multiplying complex numbers, you must distribute the imaginary unit i to each term. Also, be aware of the properties of complex numbers such as the conjugate property and the fact that the sum or difference of two complex conjugates is always a real number.