Simple parabola solving problem

• Thread starter thunderhadron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parabola
Since you say the curve is a parabola, I will assume that the first equation is y^2= 4Ax. Putting (0, a/2) into that equation gives (a/2)^2= 4A(0) so a^2/4= 0 which is certainly true for all a. The equation y^2= 4Ax will be satisfied by all points on the y-axis. In summary, the equation y^2= 4Ax represents a parabola through the origin and symmetric about the x-axis. However, when given a point (0, a/2), this point does not satisfy the equation. This is because the more general form of a
thunderhadron
Hi friends I am sticking in solving a parabola equation. Please help me in solving this issue.

The problem is as follows -

I have given three points which are as follows -

These points are lying on a parabola whose equation is Y2 = 4AX

If these points are lying on this parabola hence will satisfy its equation.

Hence

Placing all the points in the equation Y2 = 4AX

Solving these equations I'll get -

But friends the problem is that, when I am solving these equations in different manner - - -

I am getting the wrong answer. The previous answer was right i.e. a√7 / 2.

Why this is happening. Please friends help me in finding this issue.

Thank you all very much in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The point ##(x_1, y_1) = (0, a/2)## is not compatible with the equation ##y^2 = 4Ax##.

[itex]y^2= 4Ax[/itex] is a parabola through the origin and symmetric about x= 0. The more general form would be [itex]x= ay^2+ bx+ c[/itex] or [itex]x= a(y- y_0)^2+ x_0[/itex].

Notice that while your form has only the single parameter, A, those have three parameters which can be determined by three equations.

Related to Simple parabola solving problem

What is a simple parabola solving problem?

A simple parabola solving problem is a mathematical exercise in which you are given a quadratic equation in the form of y = ax^2 + bx + c and asked to find the values of x that make the equation true.

What is the general strategy for solving a simple parabola problem?

The general strategy for solving a simple parabola problem is to use the quadratic formula, which states that the solutions for x can be found by plugging in the values of a, b, and c into the formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a

What are the common mistakes people make when solving a simple parabola problem?

Some common mistakes people make when solving a simple parabola problem include forgetting to distribute the negative sign when using the quadratic formula, making calculation errors, and not simplifying the final answer. It is important to check your work and double check your calculations to avoid these mistakes.

Can a simple parabola problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, a simple parabola problem can have two solutions, one solution, or no real solutions depending on the values of a, b, and c in the equation. This is determined by the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) in the quadratic formula. If the discriminant is positive, there are two real solutions, if it is zero, there is one real solution, and if it is negative, there are no real solutions.

How can solving simple parabola problems be useful in real life?

Solving simple parabola problems can be useful in real life in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can help in determining the trajectory of a ball thrown in the air, designing the shape of a bridge, or analyzing the profit and loss of a business based on different variables. It also helps in developing problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.