What is the process for finding the unit normal at every point on a parabola?

In summary, Chet explains that he needs two vectors, the vector corresponding to each point on the parabola, and the unit vector normal to the parabola. He calculates that the vector \vec{r} = x \hat{i} + x^2 \hat{j} . He finds the unit normal at a point but needs to find it at every point on the parabola. The parabolic gate lies in the first quadrant and the fluid lies to the left of the gate (it comes in from the second quadrant). The range for the gate is [0,2.5]. If you can find the tangent to the parabola at any point, you can also find the
wahaj
I am working on a fluid mechanics problem that has a parabolic gate with equation
[tex] y = x^2 [/tex]
To solve the problem I need two vectors namely [itex] \vec{r} \ and \ \hat{n} [/itex]. Assuming origin is at x = 0, the vector [itex] \vec{r} [/itex] is a vector corresponding to each point on the parabola. I calculated that to be [itex] \vec{r} = x \hat{i} + x^2 \hat{j} [/itex]. [itex] \hat{n} [/itex] is a unit vector normal to the parabola projecting into the fluid. I can find the unit normal at a point but how would I go about finding the unit normal at every point on the parabola. The parabolic gate lies in the first quadrant and the fluid lies to the left of the gate (it comes in from the second quadrant). The range for the gate is [0,2.5].

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can find the tangent to the parabola at any point, you can also find the normal line at any point. Just like the position vector r can be described in terms of two parameters x and x^2, so can the tangent line and the normals to the curve. It takes a little calculus and a little algebra.

wahaj said:
I am working on a fluid mechanics problem that has a parabolic gate with equation
[tex] y = x^2 [/tex]
To solve the problem I need two vectors namely [itex] \vec{r} \ and \ \hat{n} [/itex]. Assuming origin is at x = 0, the vector [itex] \vec{r} [/itex] is a vector corresponding to each point on the parabola. I calculated that to be [itex] \vec{r} = x \hat{i} + x^2 \hat{j} [/itex]. [itex] \hat{n} [/itex] is a unit vector normal to the parabola projecting into the fluid. I can find the unit normal at a point but how would I go about finding the unit normal at every point on the parabola. The parabolic gate lies in the first quadrant and the fluid lies to the left of the gate (it comes in from the second quadrant). The range for the gate is [0,2.5].

Hi wahaj -- can you give us some context to this question? Is this for your work or for school?

This is for school. I am practising for my midterm. As for context, I don't know what else to tell you unless you guys want me to start getting into fluid mechanics. I attached a crude picture of the gate if that helps. Basically I need to find the force that the water exert on the gate and for that I need the two vectors.
I haven't done this in a while so bear with me here. The tangent lines are linear so they have equation [itex] y = mx + b [/itex]. The slope [itex] m = y' = 2x [/itex] so the general equation for tangent lines becomes [itex] y = 2x^2 + b [/itex]. The negative reciprocal of the slope for tangent line is the slope of the normal lines so [itex] y = \frac {-1}{2x} * x + b = \frac{-1}{2} + b [/itex]. This does not look right. Not to mention I don't have a value for b.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 638
The unit tangent is:
[tex]\frac{\vec{i}+2x\vec{j}}{\sqrt{1+(2x)^2}}[/tex]
From that, you should be able to write down the unit normal vector upon inspection, since the dot product of the unit normal and unit tangent is zero.

Chet

Great. I was able to solve this problem and hopefully all similar problems in the future. Thanks for the help

Related to What is the process for finding the unit normal at every point on a parabola?

1. What is a normal vector to a parabola?

A normal vector to a parabola is a vector that is perpendicular to the tangent line at any given point on the parabola. It represents the direction in which the parabola is curving at that point.

2. How is the normal vector to a parabola calculated?

The normal vector to a parabola at a specific point can be calculated by finding the derivative of the parabola at that point and then taking the negative reciprocal of that derivative. This will give the slope of the perpendicular line, which can then be used to find the normal vector.

3. What is the significance of the normal vector to a parabola?

The normal vector to a parabola is important in understanding the geometry and behavior of the parabola. It can help determine the direction of curvature at a given point, and is also used in various applications in mathematics and physics.

4. How does the normal vector change along a parabola?

The normal vector to a parabola changes continuously as the parabola curves. At the vertex of the parabola, the normal vector is parallel to the y-axis, and as you move away from the vertex, the normal vector gradually rotates to become parallel to the x-axis.

5. Can the normal vector to a parabola be negative?

Yes, the normal vector to a parabola can be negative. This indicates that the normal line is pointing in the opposite direction as the positive direction of the axis. It is important to keep track of the signs of the normal vector when using it in calculations or applications.