Show isomorphism under specific conditions

I didn't feel like typing that much). And the statement is still wrong. There is a counterexample I found (and independently from me, my tutor found the same counterexample).
member 587159

Homework Statement

Let ##A,B## be subgroups of a finite abelian group ##G##

Show that ##\langle g_1A \rangle \times \langle g_2A \rangle \cong \langle g_1,g_2 \rangle## where ##g_1,g_2 \in B## and ##A \cap B = \{e_G\}##
where ##g_1 A, g_2 A \in G/A## (which makes sense since ##G## is abelian and all the subgroups are normal)

(this statement is possibly false, I need it to understand a step in a proof)

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Define ##f: \langle g_1A \rangle \times \langle g_2A \rangle \rightarrow \langle g_1,g_2 \rangle##

by ##f(g_1^{k_1}A,g_2^{k_2}A) = g_1^{k_1}g_2^{k_2}## for integers ##k,l##

First, we show that ##f## is well-defined:

Therefore, let ##(g_1^{k_1}A,g_2^{k_2}A) = (g_3^{k_3}A,g_4^{k_4}A)##

Then, ##g_1^{k_1}A = g_3^{k_3}A \iff g_1^{k_1}g_3^{-k_3} \in A##

Since, ##g_1,g_3 \in B, g_1^{k_1}g_3^{-k_3} \in A\cap B = \{e_G\}## Hence, ##g_1^{k_1 } = g_3^{k_3}##. Completely analogue, we find ##g_2^{k_2 } = g_4^{k_4}##.

Therefore, we conclude that ##g_1^{k_1}g_2^{k_2} = g_3^{k_3}g_4^{k_4}##. Hence, ##f## is well-defined.

This also shows injectivity (every step we did is reversible).

It is also clear that this mapping is surjective. If we take ##g_1^{k_1}g_2^{k_2} \in \langle g_1,g_2 \rangle##, then obviously ##(g_1^{k_1}A,g_2^{k_2}A)## gets mapped to that element.

Last but not least, we have to show that ##f## is a homomorphism. To show this,

##f[(g_1^{k_1}A,g_2^{k_2}A)(g_3^{k_3}A,g_4^{k_4}A)] = f(g_1^{k_1}g_3^{k_3}A,g_2^{k_2}g_4^{k_4}A) ##

##= g_1^{k_1}g_3^{k_3}g_2^{k_2}g_4^{k_4} = g_1^{k_1}g_2^{k_2}g_3^{k_3}g_4^{k_4}##

##= f(g_1^{k_1}A,g_2^{k_2}A)f(g_3^{k_3}A,g_4^{k_4}A)##

The result follows ##\quad \triangle##

Can someone verify whether my attempt is correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by ##\langle x,y \rangle## and where are the elements of ##A## gone to? Isn't ##g_1=g_2=e_G## already a counterexample?

fresh_42 said:
What do you mean by ##\langle x,y \rangle## and where are the elements of ##A## gone to? Isn't ##g_1=g_2=e_G## already a counterexample?

Group generated by x,y, which is a subgroup of G. This is part of a proof. I filtered context.

And what is the problem with ##g_1 = g_2 = e_G##?

Then, we get that ##\langle A \rangle \times \langle A \rangle = \{e_{G/A}\} \times \{e_{G/A}\} \cong \{e_G\}##, which seems fine.

O.k., then ##\langle . \rangle## depends on the group. I thought it was meant to be ##\langle gA \rangle =\langle ga\,\vert \,a \in A\rangle##.
However, in this case ##g_1=a \in A-\{e_{G}\}\, , \,g_2=e_{G}## will be a counterexample except in case ##A=\{e_G\}##.

fresh_42 said:
O.k., then ##\langle . \rangle## depends on the group. I thought it was meant to be ##\langle gA \rangle =\langle ga\,\vert \,a \in A\rangle##.
However, in this case ##g_1=a \in A-\{e_{G}\}\, , \,g_2=e_{G}## will be a counterexample except in case ##A=\{e_G\}##.

But ##g_1 \in B##. If ##g_1 \in A##, then automatically ##g_1 = e_G##

Math_QED said:
But ##g_1 \in B##. If ##g_1 \in A##, then automatically ##g_1 = e_G##
Forgotten. Seems I should take a nap. Sorry.

fresh_42 said:
Forgotten. Seems I should take a nap. Sorry.

No worries. I'm already glad I get some help :)

Let's consider the first isomorphism theorem: ##AB/A \cong B/(A\cap B) \cong B## which gives us a hint where to look for the flaw. You have basically shown, that the projection followed by the multiplication onto the quotient group ##G/A## is a well-defined epimorphism. So what about injectivity? ##AB/A \times AB/A \cong B \times B \ncong B##.

Say ##f(gA,hA)=gh = e_G##. This means ##g=h^{-1}##, but how do you get to ##g \in A##?
(Unless I've missed something again.)

Likes member 587159
fresh_42 said:
Let's consider the first isomorphism theorem: ##AB/A \cong B/(A\cap B) \cong B## which gives us a hint where to look for the flaw. You have basically shown, that the projection followed by the multiplication onto the quotient group ##G/A## is a well-defined epimorphism. So what about injectivity? ##AB/A \times AB/A \cong B \times B \ncong B##.

Say ##f(gA,hA)=gh = e_G##. This means ##g=h^{-1}##, but how do you get to ##g \in A##?

I see where you are going. I realized the injectivity is failing (at least my argument, since not every step is reversible). Thanks a lot for this. So probably, the statement is false.

fresh_42 said:

I managed to prove injectivity (I could deduce from the proof's context that ##\langle y_1A\rangle \cap \langle y_2A\rangle = \{A\}##, from which the injectivity follows.)

Math_QED said:
I managed to prove injectivity (I could deduce from the proof's context that ##\langle y_1A\rangle \cap \langle y_2A\rangle = \{A\}##, from which the injectivity follows.)
##A=\langle (1),(12) \rangle\, , \,B=\langle (1),(13) \rangle\, , \,G=AB=\langle (1),(12),(13),(23) \rangle##
The stated isomorphism now reads ##\langle (13)A \rangle \times \langle (13)A \rangle \cong B \times B \cong \langle (13),(13) \rangle = B## respectively ##f((13)A,(13)A) = (1)##, so how could ##f## be injective? ##B \times B \cong G \ncong B## by counting group elements.

Likes member 587159
fresh_42 said:
##A=\langle (1),(12) \rangle\, , \,B=\langle (1),(13) \rangle\, , \,G=AB=\langle (1),(12),(13),(23) \rangle##
The stated isomorphism now reads ##\langle (13)A \rangle \times \langle (13)A \rangle \cong B \times B \cong \langle (13),(13) \rangle = B## respectively ##f((13)A,(13)A) = (1)##, so how could ##f## be injective? ##B \times B \cong G \ncong B## by counting group elements.

Don't worry about it. There is a lot of context missing that can be used (this statement is part of the proof that every finite abelian group is the direct product of cyclic p-groups, which is a rather large proof, which is the reason I left as much context away as possible).

fresh_42 said:

I am studying for my exam group theory right now and I reread this thread. How can your counterexample make sense if ##G## is finite and we already have established a surjection between the two finite groups? This clearly must imply that the function is injective as well.

I think my misconception lied in ##\langle g_1,g_2 \rangle## which probably should be read as ##\langle (g_1,g_2) \rangle##, which makes a great difference. My example (##g_1 = g_2##) used the fact that ##B \times B \ncong B## for finite groups. So if we generate a group by ##g_1## and ##g_2##, we get ##g_iA \cong B## in the example. But if we generate it by the pairs ##\{(g_1,g_2)\,\vert \,g_i \in B\}## we get ##B \times B## and it's no counterexample. It all depends on how ##\langle g_1,g_2 \rangle## had to be understood. Usually it means "group generated by all by ##g_1## and ##g_2##" as you also suggested in the definition of ##f##. But I think we may not multiply the two and consider pairs instead.

Likes member 587159

Related to Show isomorphism under specific conditions

1. What is isomorphism?

Isomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two structures that have the same underlying pattern or structure, but may appear different on the surface. In other words, two structures are isomorphic if they can be mapped onto each other while preserving their structure.

2. What are the specific conditions for showing isomorphism?

The specific conditions for showing isomorphism depend on the type of structures being compared. In general, there are three main conditions that must be met: the structures must have the same number of elements, the elements must have the same type or properties, and the relationships between the elements must be preserved.

3. How do you prove isomorphism?

The most common way to prove isomorphism is by constructing an isomorphism function that maps one structure onto the other while preserving its structure. This function should be both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto). Additionally, you can also prove isomorphism by showing that the structures have the same properties and are equivalent under certain operations.

4. Are there any limitations to showing isomorphism under specific conditions?

Yes, there are limitations to showing isomorphism under specific conditions. For example, some structures may be isomorphic under certain conditions but not under others. Additionally, some structures may appear to be isomorphic but actually have subtle differences that make them non-isomorphic.

5. Why is it important to show isomorphism under specific conditions?

Showing isomorphism under specific conditions is important because it allows us to understand the underlying structure of different systems and how they relate to each other. It also helps us to identify patterns and similarities between seemingly different structures, which can lead to new insights and discoveries in various fields of study.