How Does Injectivity of a Homomorphism Affect Its Kernel and Image?

I think you're supposed to get used to the idea that we can restrict maps in various ways without changing the fact that they're maps. At some point you need to stop thinking in terms of formal definitions and start thinking in terms of mathematics.Hi Kreizhn,So applying ##g_1 g_2^{-1}## to the homomorphism, I get $$\theta(g_1 g_2^{-1}) = \theta(g_1) \theta(g_2^{-1}) = \theta(g_1) (\theta (g_2))^{-1} = h_1 (h_1)^{-1} = e_H,$$ where I defined ##
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let ##\theta : G \mapsto H## be a group homomorphism.
A) Show that ##\theta## is injective ##\iff## ##\text{Ker}\theta = \left\{e\right\}##

B) If ##\theta## is injective, show that ##G \cong I am \theta ≤ H##.

The Attempt at a Solution

A)The right implication is fine. Briefly, if ##\theta## is a homomorphism, then the identity in G is always sent to the identity in H. Since ##\theta## is injective, no other element maps there. I am not so sure about the left implication, but what I tried was:
Consider ##\theta (g_1) = h_1## and ##\theta (g_2) = h_1. ## Want to show that ##g_1 = g_2## using the fact that ##\text{Ker}\theta = ##identity.
Then ##\theta (g_1 e_G) = \theta (g_1) e_H = h_1 = \theta(g_2)e_H## so ##\theta(g_1) = \theta(g_2) (1)##. But I realize this is a trivial result. From here I want to show that ##g_1 = g_2##. We were given a hint to use inverses more explicitly, but I can't see it right now.

B)I think I have this one, I just would like someone to check over it to make sure I haven't overlooked anything. So prove that ##G \cong I am \theta##

This means ##G## is isomorphic to ##Im \theta## and so we have a bijective homomorphism. It is given that ##\theta## is injective, so we need only show surjectivity.
But simply, by defintion of ##Im \theta##, it is surjective.

Now prove ##Im \theta \leq H##, so use test for subgroup.
i)Non empty: we are dealing with a homomorphism, so the identity in g is always mapped to identity in H, so the image is never nonempty.

ii)Closure: Let ##h_1, h_2 \in I am \theta##. For some ##g_1, g_2 \in G, g_1 \neq g_2##, we have ##\theta(g_1) = h_1 ## and ##\theta(g_2) = h_2##. Then ##\theta(g_1)\theta(g_2) = h_1 h_2 = \theta(g_1 g_2). ## We found such an element that maps to ##h_1 h_2## so closure is satisfied.

iii) Let ##\ell = h_1 h_2 \Rightarrow \ell h_2^{-1} = h_1 \Rightarrow \ell h_2^{-1} h_1^{-1} = e \Rightarrow \ell (h_1 h_2)^{-1} = e.## So we found an element such that when it is smashed with another element we get ##e \in I am \theta##, so closed under inverse.

Is this okay? If so, it is really just the left implication of A) that I need a hint for.

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For 1, what happens to the element [itex] g_1 g_2^{-1} [/itex] under the homomorphism?

For 2, your proof is correct though you already know e is in the image as identity is preserved under the morphism. This is also a special case of the first isomorphism theorem.

Hi Kreizhn,

So applying ##g_1 g_2^{-1}## to the homomorphism, I get $$\theta(g_1 g_2^{-1}) = \theta(g_1) \theta(g_2^{-1}) = \theta(g_1) (\theta (g_2))^{-1} = h_1 (h_1)^{-1} = e_H,$$ where I defined ##\theta(g_1) = \theta(g_2) = h_1##. Since we know only the identity in G, ##e_G## maps to ##e_H##, I conclude that ##g_1 = g_2##. Okay?

Looks good.

Kreizhn said:
Looks good.
Thanks for the help.

Apparently I had to show that there existed a homormorphism between G and Imθ.

I don't follow: [itex] \theta [/itex] is your homomorphism, that is what you showed.

I don't think I showed ##\theta## was a homormorphism - it is given that ##θ## is a homormorphism. The comment on my work is that '##θ : G →H ## is a homormorphism, need to show homormorphism ##G →\operatorname{Im} \theta##'

CAF123 said:
I don't think I showed ##\theta## was a homormorphism - it is given that ##θ## is a homormorphism. The comment on my work is that '##θ : G →H ## is a homormorphism, need to show homormorphism ##G →\operatorname{Im} \theta##'
There's not much to show. We can certainly define ##\phi : G \rightarrow im(\theta)## by ##\phi(g) = \theta(g)##. Then ##\phi## is a homomorphism because ##\phi(ab) = \theta(ab) = \theta(a)\theta(b) = \phi(a)\phi(b)##. The only distinction between ##\phi## and ##\theta## is that ##\phi## is surjective even if ##\theta## is not. Note that ##\phi## is injective if and only if ##\theta## is.

jbunniii said:
The only distinction between ##\phi## and ##\theta## is that ##\phi## is surjective even if ##\theta## is not. Note that ##\phi## is injective if and only if ##\theta## is.

Could you elaborate further how you made these deducements?

CAF123 said:
Could you elaborate further how you made these deducements?
OK. I defined ##\phi : G \rightarrow im(\theta)## by ##\phi(g) = \theta(g)##. If ##a \in im(\theta)## then by definition of the image, there is some ##g \in G## such that ##\theta(g) = a##. But this means ##\phi(g) = a##. This shows that ##\phi## is surjective.

Suppose ##\theta## is injective. If ##\phi(g) = \phi(h)## then ##\theta(g) = \theta(h)##, so ##g = h## because of the injectivity of ##\theta##. This shows that ##\phi## is injective.

Conversely, suppose ##\phi## is injective. If ##\theta(g) = \theta(h)##, then ##\phi(g) = \phi(h)##, and this implies ##g = h## because of the injectivity of ##\phi##. This shows that ##\theta## is injective.

Makes sense, thanks. But why did you define ##\phi(g) = \theta(g)##?Is this arbitrary?

CAF123 said:
Makes sense, thanks. But why did you define ##\phi(g) = \theta(g)##?Is this arbitrary?
What other candidate is available if we want a homomorphism between ##G## and ##im(\theta)##? We are not given any information about ##G## or ##H##, other than the fact that ##\theta : G \rightarrow H## is a homomorphism. Therefore we have nothing to work with except ##\theta##. There may well be other homomorphisms from ##G## onto ##im(G)##, but no information is provided about any of them.

I think the gist of it is this:

Technically, when you restrict morphisms they could stop being morphisms. When you restrict the domain it may fail to be a subgroup so the map, while still defined, could fail to be a homomorphism. Conversely, if you restrict the codomain, the map may not have a well-defined target and so fail to be a mapping.

In this instance, we are restricting the codomain so that [itex] \theta: G \to \text{im}\theta [/itex]. The only possible pitfall is that your target not be well-defined, for which it suffices to check that [itex] \text{im}\theta \subseteq \text{im}\theta[/itex]. But this is a tautology, so there's nothing to show.

It seems incredibly pedantic, but perhaps if this is a "first course" in abstract algebra, the TA is just making sure you "dot your i's and cross your t's."

Related to How Does Injectivity of a Homomorphism Affect Its Kernel and Image?

1. What is a group homomorphism?

A group homomorphism is a function between two mathematical groups that preserves the group structure. This means that the operation in one group is preserved in the other group under the homomorphism.

2. What is the purpose of proving two group homomorphisms?

Proving two group homomorphisms is important in mathematics as it helps to establish a relationship between two groups and shows that they share similar properties. This can be useful in solving problems and understanding the structure of different mathematical systems.

3. How do you prove a group homomorphism?

To prove a group homomorphism, you must show that the function satisfies the definition of a homomorphism. This means that it must preserve the group operation and also map the identity element of one group to the identity element of the other group. Additionally, you must show that the function is well-defined and that it is a valid mapping between the two groups.

4. What are some common techniques used in proving two group homomorphisms?

Some common techniques used in proving two group homomorphisms include direct proofs, proof by contradiction, and using the first isomorphism theorem. It is also important to have a strong understanding of the properties and structure of the two groups involved.

5. What are some real-life applications of two group homomorphisms?

Two group homomorphisms have various applications in different fields of mathematics such as abstract algebra, number theory, and topology. They can also be used in practical applications such as cryptography, coding theory, and data compression. Additionally, the concept of group homomorphisms is also used in computer science and physics.