Exploring Subgroup Inverse Maps in Group Theory

In summary: H is closed under multiplication. Therefore, you can conclude that i(gh) \in Hg^{-1}. In summary, given a subgroup H of a group G, the map i(g) = g^{-1} satisfies the equations i(gH) = Hg^{-1} and i(Hg) = g^{-1}H. To show this, you need to show that for any g \in G and h \in H, i(gh) \in Hg^{-1}. This is done by noting that h^{-1}g^{-1} \in Hg^{-1} since H is a subgroup and therefore closed under multiplication.
jimmycricket

Homework Statement

For a group [itex]G[/itex] consider the map [itex]i:G\rightarrow G , i(g)=g^{-1}[/itex]
For a subgroup [itex]H\subset G[/itex] show that [itex]i(gH)=Hg^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]i(Hg)=g^{-1}H[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for [itex] g_1,g_2 \in G[/itex] we have [itex]i(g_1g_2)=(g_1g_2)^{-1}=g_2^{-1}g_1^{-1}[/itex]
Then since for any [itex]h\in H, h\in G [/itex] we have [itex]i(g_1h)=(g_1h)^{-1}=h^{-1}g_1^{-1}[/itex]
Is this a good approach to the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmycricket said:

Homework Statement

For a group [itex]G[/itex] consider the map [itex]i:G\rightarrow G , i(g)=g^{-1}[/itex]
For a subgroup [itex]H\subset G[/itex] show that [itex]i(gH)=Hg^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]i(Hg)=g^{-1}H[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for [itex] g_1,g_2 \in G[/itex] we have [itex]i(g_1g_2)=(g_1g_2)^{-1}=g_2^{-1}g_1^{-1}[/itex]
Then since for any [itex]h\in H, h\in G [/itex] we have [itex]i(g_1h)=(g_1h)^{-1}=h^{-1}g_1^{-1}[/itex]
Is this a good approach to the problem?

Working out what [itex]i(gh)[/itex] is for [itex]h \in H[/itex] is certainly a good start.

Likes 1 person
Sorry I should have said I'm actually stuck at this point. Any pointers or hints would be appreciated :)

jimmycricket said:
Sorry I should have said I'm actually stuck at this point. Any pointers or hints would be appreciated :)

You are asked to show that, if [itex]H[/itex] is a subgroup of [itex]G[/itex], then for all [itex]g \in G[/itex], [itex]i(gH) = Hg^{-1}[/itex].

So far you have that if [itex]h \in H[/itex] and [itex]g \in G[/itex] then [itex]i(gh) = h^{-1}g^{-1}[/itex]. You now need to explain why [itex]h^{-1}g^{-1} \in Hg^{-1}[/itex].

Likes 1 person
since [itex]H[/itex] is a subgroup, any [itex]h\in H [/itex] has an inverse element [itex]h^{-1}\in H [/itex] such that [itex]hh^{-1}=h^{-1}h=e[/itex] hence [itex]h^{-1}g^{-1}\in Hg^{-1}[/itex]

Last edited:

Related to Exploring Subgroup Inverse Maps in Group Theory

1. What is a subgroup inverse map?

A subgroup inverse map is a mathematical function that maps elements of a subgroup to their respective inverses in the larger group. It is used to determine the inverse of an element in a subgroup.

2. How is a subgroup inverse map calculated?

A subgroup inverse map is calculated by first identifying the elements of the subgroup and then finding their respective inverses in the larger group. The map is then created by pairing each element with its inverse.

3. What is the importance of a subgroup inverse map?

A subgroup inverse map is important in group theory as it allows for the determination of inverses in subgroups, which can be used to solve more complex problems. It also helps in understanding the structure and properties of groups.

4. Can a subgroup inverse map be used in any type of group?

Yes, a subgroup inverse map can be used in any type of group, as long as the group and its subgroups are well-defined and have an operation that satisfies the group axioms.

5. Is the subgroup inverse map unique?

No, the subgroup inverse map is not always unique. If there are multiple ways to map elements of a subgroup to their inverses in the larger group, then there can be multiple subgroup inverse maps. However, the resulting inverse elements will always be the same.