Should I learn Classical Mechanics before Electricity & Magnetism?

In summary, taking CM before E&M is a good idea because E&M relies on concepts from CM. E&M is also hard for most people, so it's best to have some experience with advanced courses before taking it.
bob1182006
I will probably be taking both CM I/II and E&M I/II before I graduate, but I'm wondering is it a bad idea to take E&M before taking CM?

I don't think I can take both at the same time this coming year so I have to pick just one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Without a doubt, take CM before E&M.

just curious, why do you say definitely CM first?

Well, E&M relies on many of the concepts in CM. For example, I think one would need to understand gravitational potential energy before electric potential.

Yes, you get introduced to many concepts in CM, whereas in E&M you are expected to have already seen them, and they are just modified for that class.

So for example things like rotating frames, the 1/r potential, etc. Trying to learn all about that AND learn E&M would be tough.

I would also say take classical before E&M. E&M is hard for most people, its best to have at least one or two advanced courses before taking it. I am assuming your CM is a course based on the lagrangian and Hamiltonian methods though.

The book for CM that is used here is Thornton & Marion, I don't think Lagrangian and Hamiltonian's are taught until a Goldstein level class though.

Does Thornton & Marion require knowledge of ODE's? How about Kleppner?

I haven't taken ODE yet and I guess it's going to hold me back in physics soon.

At my school, the [undergraduate, upper division] Classical Mechanics and Electricity & Magnetism are taken simultaneously by students; I did not experience any problems with this when I took the classes.

The Thornton & Marion book does cover Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics. Will your course just be skipping this topic, or are you just guessing?

You will be expected to have some knowledge of ordinary differential equations…or rather you’ll need to know how to solve them by the ‘method of assumption’ (i.e. solve ODEs which you already know the solution too, for example simple harmonic oscillators).

Do you guys go straight to Marion? I thought that book needs a prereq of basic physics first.

Cyrus said:
Do you guys go straight to Marion? I thought that book needs a prereq of basic physics first.

In most schools the upper division CM does require the introductory Physics class.

The course description of the CM class states it covers Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics.

Guess I'll have to talk to the professors, the class description says it doesn't require any math above Calc I, but the class might go into ODE type material.

Last semista,i tok both CM & E&M,wel if i were u, i wud go for CM first as it wil give u maths skils & manipulations that will help u in other physics courses. including E&M.

Classical Mechanics first, Electromagnetism second. Science is a building : to get to the top, it's way better taking all the steps instead of jumping 3-4 steps each time. Classical Mechanics (the basics) is the first step, and it's before Electromagnetism for the same reasons above : you need many concepts of CM to understand Electromagnetism.

But, that's the way electromagnetism books are made : they often take for granted that you understand these concepts very well. If you find an E&M book such as all these concepts are explained clearly, as if it was the first time you're learning about it, then you can start learning it. But I very much doubt that such a book exist.

Related to Should I learn Classical Mechanics before Electricity & Magnetism?

1. Should I prioritize learning Classical Mechanics before Electricity & Magnetism?

It ultimately depends on your personal learning style and the requirements of your academic or research pursuits. However, many experts recommend learning Classical Mechanics first since it provides a strong foundation for understanding the principles of Electricity and Magnetism.

2. Is it necessary to have a background in Classical Mechanics to understand Electricity & Magnetism?

While a background in Classical Mechanics can be beneficial, it is not a strict requirement for understanding Electricity & Magnetism. Many introductory courses in Electricity & Magnetism cover the necessary concepts from Classical Mechanics as well.

3. Can I learn Electricity & Magnetism without knowing Classical Mechanics?

Yes, it is possible to learn Electricity & Magnetism without prior knowledge of Classical Mechanics. However, it may require extra effort and a deeper understanding of the underlying principles.

4. What are the advantages of learning Classical Mechanics before Electricity & Magnetism?

Learning Classical Mechanics first can provide a solid foundation for understanding the fundamental principles of motion, forces, and energy. This can make it easier to grasp the concepts of Electricity & Magnetism, which build upon these principles.

5. Are there any disadvantages of learning Classical Mechanics before Electricity & Magnetism?

Some may argue that learning Classical Mechanics first can be time-consuming and may delay the understanding of Electricity & Magnetism. However, this depends on individual learning styles and can vary from person to person.