Second order linear differential equation with constant coefficients

In summary, by letting x = y' in the given differential equation, it leads to the system x' = 4x - y and y' = x. Conversely, substituting back in the system leads to the original differential equation y'' - 4y' + y = 0, and also x'' - 4x' + x = 0. By differentiating the equation for x', we can also find the differential equation for x.
stripes

Homework Statement

For the differential equation y'' - 4y' + y = 0,
(a) Show that if we let x = y' (i.e. x(t) = y'(t)), then this leads to the system:
x' = 4x -y
y' = x

(b) Conversely, show that the system in (a) leads to y'' - 4y' + y = 0 (and x'' -4x' + x = 0 also).

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

part (a) seems easy enough, let x = y', then x' must equal y'', then substitute:

y'' - 4y' + y = 0
x' - 4x + y = 0
x' = 4x - y as expected (and then we have x = y' initially given), so the system is correct.

part (b) seems extremely obvious, which makes me wonder if I'm missing something. Anyways,, I begin with

x' = 4x - y and y' = x. y'' = x' follows.

by substituting back in, we have
y'' = 4y' - y
y'' - 4y' + y = 0 as required.

To show find x'' - 4x' + x = 0, I don't know. I tried finding dy/dx:

dy/dx = y'/x' = x/(4x - y) which is not separable:
dy(4x - y) = xdx

so my questions are: is part (b) as simple as it seems? Or is my method not correct? And how do I show x'' - 4x' + x = 0? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's as simple as it seems.

You find the differential equation for x similarly. Start by differentiating the equation for x'.

Thank you for your help. I end up with x'' - 4x' + x = 0 as required.

Related to Second order linear differential equation with constant coefficients

1. What is a second order linear differential equation with constant coefficients?

A second order linear differential equation with constant coefficients is a mathematical equation that involves a second derivative of a dependent variable and its first derivative, along with a constant coefficient. The equation is of the form a*y'' + b*y' + c*y = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and y is the dependent variable.

2. How do you solve a second order linear differential equation with constant coefficients?

To solve a second order linear differential equation with constant coefficients, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters. In the method of undetermined coefficients, you assume a solution of the form y = Ae^(rt), where A is a constant and r is the root of the characteristic equation. In the method of variation of parameters, you assume a solution of the form y = u(t)*y1(t), where y1(t) is a known solution of the homogeneous equation and u(t) is an unknown function to be determined.

3. What is the characteristic equation of a second order linear differential equation with constant coefficients?

The characteristic equation of a second order linear differential equation with constant coefficients is of the form ar^2 + br + c = 0, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the equation. The roots of this equation, r1 and r2, are used to find the general solution of the differential equation.

4. Can a second order linear differential equation with constant coefficients have complex roots?

Yes, a second order linear differential equation with constant coefficients can have complex roots. In this case, the general solution of the differential equation will involve complex numbers. However, the real and imaginary parts of the solution can be combined to form a real-valued solution.

5. What are the applications of second order linear differential equations with constant coefficients?

Second order linear differential equations with constant coefficients have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used to model systems with oscillating behavior, such as a pendulum or an electric circuit. They are also used in the study of vibrations, waves, and heat transfer. Additionally, they have applications in population dynamics, economics, and other areas.