Second order homogeneous equations with non constant coefficients

In summary, the question asked to solve the initial value problem, y(t)=-3t^2y'+1y, where y'(t)=-1. The question also asked to use the Wronskian to show that the two solutions are linearly independent. I calculated the Wronskian to be -3sqrt{t}/2. Substituting in these values and solving for t, I found that t=0.5,-1. The two constants were found to be -3sqrt{t} and -1.
shorty1
I was given a question and i am really unsure how to go about solving it. it appears to be solveable using the characteristic equation and whatnot, however i have my coeffecients in terms of the independent variable. so i am confused. the question initially asked to compute the wronskian, and it gave the solutions, then it gives initial values to solve. There's where the confusion began. I'd be grateful for some guidance please.

Solve the initial value problem
\(\displaystyle 2t^2y''+3ty'-y= 0; y(1)=2, y'(1)=1\), given that \(\displaystyle y_1(t)=\sqrt(t) \mbox{ and } y_2​(t)=\frac{1}{t}\)The question also asked to use the Wronskian to show that the two solutions are linearly independent, then said, hence, solve the ivp (given above). I calculated the Wronskian to be \(\displaystyle \frac{-3 \sqrt{t}}{2t^2​}\)
(These delimiters are not working for me, they are doing their own thing. quite annoying. )

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
shorty said:
I was given a question and i am really unsure how to go about solving it. it appears to be solveable using the characteristic equation and whatnot, however i have my coeffecients in terms of the independent variable. so i am confused. the question initially asked to compute the wronskian, and it gave the solutions, then it gives initial values to solve. There's where the confusion began. I'd be grateful for some guidance please.

$$ 2t2y''+3ty'-y= 0; y(1)=2, y'(1)=1, given that y1(t)=\sqrt(t) and y2​(t)=\frac{1}{t} The question also asked to use the Wronskian to show that the two solutions are linearly independent, then said, hence, solve the ivp (given above). I calculated the Wronskian to be \frac{-3 \sqrt{t}}{2t2​} $$
(These delimiters are not working for me, they are doing their own thing. quite annoying. )

You need to start what you want in math with $$ and then close it in with it \$\$ no slashes of course at the end.

isn't that what I've done?

dwsmith said:
You need to start what you want in math with $$ and then close it in with it \$\$ no slashes of course at the end.

shorty said:
isn't that what I've done?

I don't know what is wrong with it but I can't even copy and change it correctly.

well your 'iput' came out as Math. same thing was happening to part of what i was writing, and not the actual math that i wanted in the latex.

dwsmith said:
$$ 2t2y''+3ty'-y= 0; y(1)=2, y'(1)=1, \ \text{given that} \ y1(t)=\sqrt(t) and y2​(t)=\frac{1}{t} $$

I put $$ at the end of this math.

shorty said:
well your 'iput' came out as Math. same thing was happening to part of what i was writing, and not the actual math that i wanted in the latex.

$$
2t^2y''+3ty'-y= 0; y(1)=2, y'(1)=1, \ \text{given that} \ y_1(t)=\sqrt{t} and y_2(t)=\frac{1}{t}
$$

Will this work?

neither. i tried that too. is it me? i just restarted my browser and getting the same thing. the thing is when i started writing the question i previewed just as i started and the math came out fine, then when i added more it messed up and that was it.

dwsmith said:
$$
2t^2y''+3ty'-y= 0; y(1)=2, y'(1)=1, given that y_1(t)=\sqrt(t) and y_2(t)=\frac{1}{t}
$$

Will this work?

shorty said:
neither. i tried that too. is it me? i just restarted my browser and getting the same thing. the thing is when i started writing the question i previewed just as i started and the math came out fine, then when i added more it messed up and that was it.

Hi shorty,

I think you want to solve,

\[2t^{2}y''+3ty'-y= 0~;~y(1)=2,~ y'(1)=1,~\mbox{given that }y_{1}(t)=\sqrt{t}\mbox{ and }y_{2}​(t)=\frac{1}{t}\]

These type of differential equations are known as Cauchy-Euler equations. Although your problem is to find the Wronskian, solving these kind of equations are quite easy. I will solve it just for the sake of personal gratification. (Happy)

Substitute, $y=t^m$ and you get,

\[2m(m-1)t^{m}+3mt^{m}-t^{m}=0\]

\[\Rightarrow 2m(m-1)+3m-1=0\]

\[\Rightarrow 2m^2+m-1=0\]

\[\Rightarrow m=0.5,-1\]

Therefore, $y_{1}=t^{\frac{1}{2}}$ and $y_{2}=t^{-1}$. And the given solutions are correct. Now we shall determine the Wronskian,

\[W(t^{\frac{1}{2}},t^{-1})=\begin{vmatrix}t^{\frac{1}{2}}& t^{-1}\\ \frac{1}{2}t^{-\frac{1}{2}}& -t^{-2}\end{vmatrix}=-t^{-\frac{3}{2}}-\frac{1}{2}t^{-\frac{3}{2}}=-\frac{3}{2}t^{-\frac{3}{2}}\]

So $W(t^{\frac{1}{2}},t^{-1})\neq 0$. Hence the two solutions are linearly independent. Write the general solution of the system and find the two constants using the given initial values. I hope you can continue. (Happy)

thanks,

but this is not what i need, i got this part already myself. my problem is the part after.. i don't kno how to calculate this with the info given.. all the examples i have seen don't show how to do it.. the coefficients are not constant, so the auxiliary equation doesn't work.. i don't kno how to incorporate the wronkskian and the solutions to solve the ivp..

also how did your math show up? my attempts proved futile. $'s, \ and ['s , and even \ and ('s ... nothing...

shorty said:

Enclose only the equations with the $$, $, \( or \[ symbols. If you want to insert text within equations use \mbox{} command. I have cleaned your LaTeX code below.

$$2t^{2}y''+3ty'-y= 0;~ y(1)=2,~ y'(1)=1,\mbox{ given that }y_{1}(t)=\sqrt{t}\mbox{ and }y_{2}​(t)=\frac{1}{t}$$ The question also asked to use the Wronskian to show that the two solutions are linearly independent, then said, hence, solve the ivp (given above). I calculated the Wronskian to be $\dfrac{-3}{2\sqrt{t^3}}$.
(These delimiters are not working for me, they are doing their own thing. quite annoying.)

Now they are working aren't they? (Happy)

shorty said:
thanks,

but this is not what i need, i got this part already myself. my problem is the part after.. i don't kno how to calculate this with the info given.. all the examples i have seen don't show how to do it.. the coefficients are not constant, so the auxiliary equation doesn't work.. i don't kno how to incorporate the wronkskian and the solutions to solve the ivp..

also how did your math show up? my attempts proved futile. $'s, \ and ['s , and even \ and ('s ... nothing...

With reference to my previous post you can write the general solution as,

\[y(t)=C_{1}\sqrt{t}+C_{2}t^{-1}\mbox{ where }C_{1}\mbox{ and }C_{2}\mbox{ are constants.}\]

So you are given that, $y(1)=2\mbox{ and }y'(1)=1$. Substituting these values in the general solution you can get two equations from which you can find $C_{1}$ and $C_{2}$. Now I am sure you can proceed.

shorty said:

Hi there. You're using some strange syntax for exponents and subscripts. Use ^ for exponents and _ for subscript.

Oh, thanks,

i was using the font options enclosed in the text box. just where you choose the font and other options above where you type. there are sub and superscript tabs.

thanks, i will not use those in future.
Jameson said:
Hi there. You're using some strange syntax for exponents and subscripts. Use ^ for exponents and _ for subscript.

---------- Post added at 06:29 ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 ----------

Ohhhh... how straightforward now.

thank you so very much.
Sudharaka said:
With reference to my previous post you can write the general solution as,

\[y(t)=C_{1}\sqrt{t}+C_{2}t^{-1}\mbox{ where }C_{1}\mbox{ and }C_{2}\mbox{ are constants.}\]

So you are given that, $y(1)=2\mbox{ and }y'(1)=1$. Substituting these values in the general solution you can get two equations from which you can find $C_{1}$ and $C_{2}$. Now I am sure you can proceed.

Note also that you can solve any Cauchy-Euler equation by performing the substitution $x=\ln(t)$. This transforms your equation into a second-order linear ODE with constant coefficients.

Note also that $\LaTeX$ does not appear to be showing up correctly in Internet Explorer. We are working on this.

Related to Second order homogeneous equations with non constant coefficients

1. What is a second order homogeneous equation with non constant coefficients?

A second order homogeneous equation with non constant coefficients is a differential equation in the form of ayy'' + by' + cy = 0, where a, b, and c are functions of the independent variable x. This type of equation is commonly found in physics and engineering problems.

2. How is a second order homogeneous equation with non constant coefficients different from a second order homogeneous equation with constant coefficients?

The main difference between these two types of equations is that in the case of non constant coefficients, the coefficients a, b, and c are functions of x, while in the case of constant coefficients, they are constants. This makes solving the equation more challenging as the coefficients are not known beforehand.

3. What are some common techniques for solving second order homogeneous equations with non constant coefficients?

Some common techniques for solving these types of equations include using the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, or power series solutions. These methods involve finding a particular solution to the equation, which can then be combined with the general solution to satisfy the given initial conditions.

4. What are the applications of second order homogeneous equations with non constant coefficients in real-life situations?

These types of equations are commonly used to model physical systems such as springs and pendulums, as well as in electrical circuits and population growth models. They can also be used to solve problems in mechanics, heat transfer, and fluid dynamics.

5. How can I check the validity of a solution to a second order homogeneous equation with non constant coefficients?

One way to check the validity of a solution is by substituting it back into the original equation and verifying that it satisfies the equation. Another method is to check if the solution satisfies the given initial conditions. Additionally, one can use software or online tools to graph the solution and visually confirm its validity.