Rotational Dynamics: Hoop Rolling without Bouncing

In summary: I am not able to make any progress .Please help me .Use the centripetal acceleration formula to calculate the vertical acceleration.The only forces acting are Normal and the weight ,both vertical .Which forces provide centripetal acceleration to the center of mass ?Centripetal acceleration is provided by the weight only.
Vibhor

Homework Statement

A small body A is fixed to the inside of a thin rigid hoop of radius R and mass equal to that of the body A. The hoop rolls without slipping over a horizontal plane; at the moments when the body A gets into the lower position, the center of the hoop moves with velocity v0. At what values of v0 will the hoop move without bouncing?

Ans : √(8gR)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The center of mass is located at a distance R/2 from the center of the hoop.CM rotates in a circle of radius R/2 about the center of hoop.

The forces acting on the system(hoop+mass A) are normal from the surface and weight 2mg.

Applying ∑F = ma , N-2mg=2may ,where ay is the acceleration of the CM in vertical direction.

The hoop will move without bouncing if normal force due to the surface is not zero.

I am not able to make any progress .Please help me .

Attachments

• hoop.GIF
    hoop.GIF
    1.6 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the centripetal acceleration formula to calculate the vertical acceleration.

The only forces acting are Normal and the weight ,both vertical .Which forces provide centripetal acceleration to the center of mass ?

Please elaborate the general idea to solve the problem.

Could somebody help me with the problem ?

A small body A is fixed to the inside of a thin rigid hoop of radius R

Does this mean the car is locked into place? As in it isn't accelerating in the vertical direction at the bottom?

If so, think along the lines of:

##\sum F_y = 0 \Rightarrow F_N = m_Ag##

There is still an acceleration towards the center though when the car reaches the top and ##v_0## changes direction.

##\sum F_n = m_A(\frac{v_0^2}{R})##

I seem to get ##v_0 = \sqrt{2gR}##, not sure where the ##8## in the answer came from though.

Last edited:
Thanks for trying to help me :) .

Zondrina said:
Does this mean the car is locked into place? As in it isn't accelerating in the vertical direction at the bottom?

If so, think along the lines of:

##\sum F_y = 0 \Rightarrow F_N = m_Ag##

This is incorrect .

If A is experiencing centripetal acceleration at the bottom ,then it means it surely has acceleration in upwards direction.

Zondrina said:
There is still an acceleration towards the center though when the car reaches the top and ##v_0## changes direction.

##\sum F_n = m_A(\frac{v_0^2}{R})##

Again this is wrong . ##v_0## is the speed of the CM of the hoop ,not that of mass A .

Zondrina said:
I seem to get ##v_0 = \sqrt{2gR}##, not sure where the ##8## in the answer came from though.

The answer I have given in OP is correct .

Last edited:
Oh wow, I'm sorry. That will teach me to not relax after an exam, pretty tired.

On topic though... I'm thinking that conservation of energy will be of use here as the point mass moves from the bottom to the top.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but you mentioned that the mass of A was ##2m##. Put a datum through the bottom at ##A##. So at the top the car posses potential. Then:

##\frac{1}{2} m v_0^2 = (2m)g(2R)##
##v_0 = \sqrt{8gR}##

Zondrina said:
I'm not entirely sure about this, but you mentioned that the mass of A was ##2m##.

No. Mass of A is m .

Zondrina said:
Put a datum through the bottom at ##A##. So at the top the car posses potential. Then:

##\frac{1}{2} m v_0^2 = (2m)g(2R)##
##v_0 = \sqrt{8gR}##

This is incorrect .

On the left you have considered only the translational KE of the hoop whereas the hoop also has rotational KE . On the right you are considering only the PE of the mass A ?

Do you believe the hoop comes to rest when the mass A is at the top ? If not ,where is the KE of the hoop ?

For the minimum initial speed vo for which bouncing first occurs, it was not obvious to me where the mass A will be located at the instant the normal force goes to zero. It is tempting to just assume that A will be at the top of the hoop at that instant, but in principle you would need to justify that assumption. I found it messy to prove. But maybe there is a nice, simple argument for it.

Can you find an expression for the y coordinate of the CM of the system in terms of the angle of rotation θ of the hoop (with θ = 0 when mass A is at the bottom)?

If so, try to use it to determine ay of the CM of the system in terms of the speed v of the center of the hoop at the instant mass A is at the top of the hoop.

Related to Rotational Dynamics: Hoop Rolling without Bouncing

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is the study of the motion and forces involved in objects that rotate or spin on an axis. It is a branch of mechanics that deals with the rotational motion of rigid bodies.

2. What is torque in rotational dynamics?

Torque is the measure of the rotational force acting on an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the point of rotation. Torque is measured in units of Newton-meters (N*m) in the metric system and foot-pounds (ft*lbs) in the imperial system.

3. How is rotational dynamics different from linear dynamics?

Rotational dynamics deals with the motion and forces involved in objects that rotate, while linear dynamics deals with the motion and forces involved in objects that move in a straight line. Additionally, rotational dynamics takes into account the moment of inertia and angular velocity, while linear dynamics considers mass and linear velocity.

4. What is the relationship between angular acceleration and torque in rotational dynamics?

According to Newton's second law, the net torque (Στ) acting on a rotating object is equal to the moment of inertia (I) multiplied by its angular acceleration (α). This can be represented by the equation Στ = Iα. In other words, the greater the torque applied to an object, the greater its angular acceleration will be.

5. How can I use rotational dynamics to solve problems?

To solve problems involving rotational dynamics, you can use the principles of torque, angular acceleration, and angular velocity. It is important to correctly identify the point of rotation, the direction of the force, and the distance from the point of rotation to the force. You can then use equations such as Στ = Iα and ω = ω0 + αt to calculate the unknown variables and solve the problem.