Solve Hoop and Disk Inertia Homework

• Thread starter lc99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk
In summary: This isn't really a physics problem as much as it is a trick question. The fact that they both reach the bottom at the same time is a red herring. It has nothing to do with the answer. I'm pretty sure that the answer is that they can't determine the relative masses. I think that the question is invalid.In summary, the statement that both the hoop and disk with uniform mass distribution roll down a ramp without slipping and reach the bottom in the same time is a red herring. It has no bearing on determining the relative masses of the hoop and disk, as both the mass and radius cancel out in the equations for acceleration
lc99

Homework Statement

Hoop and disk with uniform mass distribution have the same radius but the total masses are not known. They both roll down ramp without slipping, reaching the bottom in the same time. What can you deduce about the relative masses?
1) disk is heavier, twice the mass of loop
2) the hoop is heavier, twice the mass of disk.
3) hoopi is heavier, twice the mass of disk
4) disk is lighter, 3/4 mass of hoop
5) hoop and disk have same mass

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking that the answer is 2) because hoop = MR^2 while disk is 1/2MR^2

But, i don't think this is that easy because they both roll without slipping, and they reach the bottom at the same time. If this is the case, mass does not really matter for they time they reach the bottom of the ramp? I'm kinda stuck ;/

Physics news on Phys.org
lc99 said:
mass does not really matter for they time they reach the bottom of the ramp
Ignoring air resistance, that is true. The same is true for the radii - it is irrelevant whether they are the same.
My only explanation for the stated facts is that they were positioned at different heights on the ramp.

Likes collinsmark
lc99 said:

Homework Statement

Hoop and disk with uniform mass distribution have the same radius but the total masses are not known. They both roll down ramp without slipping, reaching the bottom in the same time. What can you deduce about the relative masses?
1) disk is heavier, twice the mass of loop
2) the hoop is heavier, twice the mass of disk.
3) hoopi is heavier, twice the mass of disk
4) disk is lighter, 3/4 mass of hoop
5) hoop and disk have same mass

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking that the answer is 2) because hoop = MR^2 while disk is 1/2MR^2

But, i don't think this is that easy because they both roll without slipping, and they reach the bottom at the same time. If this is the case, mass does not really matter for they time they reach the bottom of the ramp? I'm kinda stuck ;/
Is this a problem for your coursework, or is it rather something you are curious about? If it is for the coursework, is there something missing from the problem statement?

I suspect the problem statement itself, as-is, has a fallacy within it. [Edit: or at least is incomplete.]

collinsmark said:
Is this a problem for your coursework, or is it rather something you are curious about? If it is for the coursework, is there something missing from the problem statement?

I suspect the problem statement itself, as-is, has a fallacy within it. [Edit: or at least is incomplete.]

It's not homework or anything. Its a question from a quiz i took, and i got the question wrong of. I know I've been posting a lot of questions, but they are sadly all the ones I am getting wrong and want to understand!

lc99 said:
It's not homework or anything. Its a question from a quiz i took, and i got the question wrong of. I know I've been posting a lot of questions, but they are sadly all the ones I am getting wrong and want to understand!
As @haruspex alluded to, the radii and mass shouldn't matter. So when the problem statement said that they reach the bottom at the same time has me scratching my head because that shouldn't be possible (I'm assuming they started at the same time, from rest, and that the slope is the same for both, and no air resistance).

But if you really want to understand, I don't suggest merely memorizing these sorts of outcomes. Analyze them properly with what you know about Newton's laws (both for translational and the rotational versions; you'll need both) complete with equations. Once you work through them and find simple equations describing the motion, you'll likely have an "Ah, ha!" moment. :smile:

You'll naturally build up a better intuition as you progress. But when in doubt, trust the fundamental physics and your math. :wink:

Likes lc99
haruspex said:
Ignoring air resistance, that is true. The same is true for the radii - it is irrelevant whether they are the same.
My only explanation for the stated facts is that they were positioned at different heights on the ramp.
Hmmm. Its not missing any information. Maybe the focus is on not slipping? Since there is no friction in no slipping? and gravity is the only force?

I kinda guess that they have the same mass. Is this question really invalid? It appeared on my midterm exam for college physics

Edit: wait, if mass and radii doesn't matter here, would it be same to assume that the inertia formula would dictate the masses?

Last edited:
lc99 said:
assume that the inertia formula would dictate the masses?
No. If you do the algebra you will find that both the mass and the radius cancel out. The acceleration only depends on g, the slope, and a dimensionless constant associated with the shape, e.g. 5/7 for the uniform solid sphere, 1/2 for the hollow cylinder, etc.

What is the concept of hoop and disk inertia?

Hoop and disk inertia is a physical property of an object that describes its resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is a measure of the object's mass and how it is distributed relative to its axis of rotation.

How can hoop and disk inertia be calculated?

Hoop and disk inertia can be calculated using the formula I = MR², where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the object, and R is the distance from the axis of rotation to the object's mass.

What factors affect the hoop and disk inertia of an object?

The main factors that affect the hoop and disk inertia of an object are its mass and the distribution of that mass relative to its axis of rotation. Objects with more mass and a greater distance from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia.

How is hoop and disk inertia relevant in real-world applications?

Hoop and disk inertia is relevant in various fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. It is essential in understanding the behavior and stability of rotating objects, designing machines and vehicles, and improving athletic performance.

Can hoop and disk inertia be changed?

Yes, hoop and disk inertia can be changed by altering the mass or distribution of mass of an object. This can be achieved by adding or removing material or by changing the shape or size of the object. In some cases, the axis of rotation can also be adjusted to change the moment of inertia.